Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Moving south vs. becoming a 'snowbird'

Regular Contributor

Moving south vs. becoming a 'snowbird'

My husband and I are not ready to retire yet but we have been thinking about moving south (we live in the northeast) vs. becoming 'snowbirds' and spending January-March in the south.  What are everyone's thoughts on this topic?

Trusted Contributor

Somewhere South for sure. Maybe taking a few months 1st to get adjusted. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You may soon turn that into 6 months each, if you're thinking like I did. Made lots of freinds in a Coconut Creek FL comunity called Wynmoor. Outgrew the small appartment but we miss lots of the freinds we made. Watch out in Florida! Get 3 quotes if you need services like plumbing, home improvement, Dentists, ENT's, (eye ear nose) can be preditors. Home and auto Insurance is very high. We've been snowbirds since 2007, so we know from wence we speak. Vet them all and find references from neighbors. Other than that, it beats the cold and snow of winter in the North and there are tax implications that help in old age.

Contributor

I want to be a snow bird. I enjoy visiting in Savannah, but I live in NY. Still working not ready to retire,  but I go every break I get. My husband hates the south. So, we plan to keep both places for now. We will down size in NY, and keep our little townhome in Sav. The weather is a big factor and inexpensive past times that we can enjoy. My husbands not convinced yet, but my fingers are crossed. Tonja

Periodic Contributor

We were Massachusians for many years. I retired @ 58. Bored stiff. Went back to work at the same job part time. Bought a small condo Wynmoor in Coconut Creek in 2007, because freinds said the time and price was right. Never looked back.

We fully retired in 2014. Now we are snowbirds, spending 6 months in MA with family and 6 months in FL.with freinds and family!  Love it.  We became Floridians a few years ago as it has advantages financially in FL over Taxachussets. We outgrew the condo and are in the process of buying a home in a 55+ community. I reccomend doing the same for anyone.

Regular Contributor

Do you drive between MA and FL or fly?
Kudos
Views
Contributor

For health reasons, I'm planning to move from Lake Tahoe (mountain lake/ski resort) to Southern California. I do plan to come back for visits in the warmer months, but they will probably be short as the high altitude doesn't work for me. We have a business here, so my husband will stay, visit me in the winter (he can't tolerate hot weather). I guess we do what we have to do.

Contributor

UPDATE! We bought a place in the Inland Empire of Southern California. I love the warm/hot weather and that I can grow my organic veggies year round. Groceries are less expensive here than Tahoe. Also, services such as hair and nail salons, gardeners, and repair people are very reasonable. My husband loves the mountains and doesn't enjoy the 3 months of 100° weather in the summer, so we found a place in a wonderful mountain community just 45 minutes from here. We can enjoy the option to choose climates frequently.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I truly have the best of both worlds!  I spend half the year in Costa Rica and the other half in a Connecticut lake community.  It really doesn't get much better.  Pura Vida!

Trusted Contributor

This New England weather gets rough 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Absolutely pure vida!!!!

Good for you ☺️

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

How did you decide on Costa Rica? Do you own a place down there or rent?
Contributor

I did a lot of research, rented for the first 7 seasons and finally bought a condo in Playas del Coco.  I went down by myself the first year for three months...after the first few weeks I arranged to rent the next year for 6 months.  It's a warm, welcoming ex-pat community with tons of things to do, great weather most of the time and cheaper cost of living than in Connecticut.  The Ticos are wonderful (that's what hte Costa Ricans call themselves), the medical and dental care are excellent and way cheaper than back home, the scenery is specatcular and the wildlife fabulous.  It's a wonderful country and I'm grateful to be able to call it home for half the year.

My advice? Do it. Never would have imagined it would be so nice getting down to florida from Michigan winters.not a winter fan myself. I dont ski or do anything else winter related.

Contributor

We moved from N Y State mountains to Maryland, near Dover, DE.  After ten years we bought a boat and now travel between Chesapeake Bay  area and the Florida Keys.  Easy to stay in good weather by staying put when it's good and moving if it gets cold.  There are thousands of seniors who do this annually and we run into each other along the way.  Not for everyone but we love it

John & Donna Bedell

Abourd Socially Sea Cured 

Currently anchored in the Everglades

Regular Contributor

I was raised a midwesterner but lived in the south for many years, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi.  Living especially in Florida, I missed the winters too much.  Love to watch snow falling.  The warmth is nice but all the bugs and humidity aren't worth it.  My animals enjoy being away from the fleas too.  I now live in the midwest again.  The people here are the best, most friendly you will find anywhere so it makes the winters okay.

I moved from Austin Texas to Colorado almost 3 years ago and if I could I would go back to Texas to tomorrow.  I love the winters in Texas and can't stand the winters here.  Love Texas.

Honored Social Butterfly

Purely my opinion, but snowbirding is the better choice.

Why? Ever spent a summer in the south?

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Regular Contributor

I have never spent a full summer in Florida but I have been there in the summer.  I think I may prefer all year in Florida despite the heat to all winter in the northeast because the snow/ice/cold is worse IMHO.  Having said that, snowbirding seems like the way to go.  Best of both worlds. 

Just started with the snowbird thing. Right now I'm in saint petersburg florida and loveing it. Still have a big house up in michigan , where it's winter , but head back in the spring .

Regular Contributor

How did you choose St Petersburg? I have yet to visit there but I love the Sarasota area. Do you own down there or rent?
Regular Contributor

No, but I've vacationed in NOLA and Austin TX in August so I have some idea. I figure you either spend a few months down south in AC (July, August) or you spend a few months up north inside with the heat on (January, February). No perfect place to live. My two favorite cities are NYC and Nola. North and south. I currently live in PA about 2 hours west of NYC. Considering moving or snowbirding to Texas Hill Country or the Sarasota area.
Do you go somewhere different every winter or the same location?
Regular Contributor

I just moved to Dallas area of Texas last August. My two daughters live down south. They told me years ago, that I might as well sell my Ohio home and move down south, because they were NEVER moving back to Ohio.

Although I sometimes miss my fenced in backyard when I'm walking my dog, I have to admit that I love my Texas winter. One day, my low temperature was the high temperature back in Ohio. There was no wind so it didn't feel brutally cold. By the afternoon, I was walking my dog in my short sleeves!

Peace and blessings

Regular Contributor

How is the Dallas area in the summer?  How hot does it get?  Is it a dry heat or does it get humid?

We really like TX.  Esp the area between Austin and San Antonio.  Also considering Sarasota FL area. 

Regular Contributor

Makes sense to go with your family is located. Especially since both your daughters live in the same area!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP