Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

iPhone can only connect to Forums on WIFI

Honored Social Butterfly

iPhone can only connect to Forums on WIFI

Now this is really strange and it just happened.  For several years my iPhone 7Plus has been able to connect to the AARP forums for reading and posting with no problems.  

All of a sudden this week, I discovered it will only connect while the phone is on a wifi network.  I have an unlimited data plan so when I am away from home I use any LTE cell site to connect to the internet and it works fine until I try to connect to the AARP forums. 

Anyone have any idea what is going on?  Am I the only one this is happening to?

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Now this is really strange and it just happened.  For several years my iPhone 7Plus has been able to connect to the AARP forums for reading and posting with no problems.  

All of a sudden this week, I discovered it will only connect while the phone is on a wifi network.  I have an unlimited data plan so when I am away from home I use any LTE cell site to connect to the internet and it works fine until I try to connect to the AARP forums. 

Anyone have any idea what is going on?  Am I the only one this is happening to?

A good guess is sometime in the past, you got "banned" for several days and they now go by your logon id and your IP address(s).  If you got banned while in LTE and they don't clear the LTE set of addresses (bug in their system), when they cleared your home IP (& wi-fi) addresses/logon, they didn't get your LTE cleared.

Just a guess, but I think that is the problem.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING You are exactly right.  It appears the ip address was blocked on my lte phone.  The aarp tech cleared it and now its back up and running.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

This is an old post. I am glad the problem was solved already. But here is my 2 cents on this topic. What was described did not make sense to me. You don't have a static IP when you use mobile network for internet. Every time you log in, you pretty much get a new IP. There is no way you can get ban by the IP address if you are using mobile network. On the other hand, even if you don't have a static IP on you broadband service, you IP does not get change for a while. May for for weeks and even months.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP