Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Do you have snapchat or instagram?

Message 11 of 35

ASTRAEA wrote:

@s886065b - I wouldn't want to even be registered on social media I don't use, because it's just so easy to people to copy anything that's public, and create a bogus profile using your material. Or they can create a profile using a variation of your name, and you wouldn't even realize it! Watch "Catfish" on MTV a couple of times; for sure you'll close any accounts you aren't actively using or watching carefully!

To protect myself from this (you know, as best I can), I never use my real name in a profile, never even type in my phone number.  I give up nuttin. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 35

I use Instagram for fun and entertainment. So far I have never had a problem. As with anything, there will be ones who use and ones who abuse. You also need to be cautious and never supply any personal information for public viewing. Be careful, also, who you follow and who you allow to follow you. It is a nice form of comunication and a great way to easily share vacation pictures with friends and family. I don't have SnapChat only because I don't want another account with another login and yet another password. Haha!

Message 13 of 35

@s886065b - I wouldn't want to even be registered on social media I don't use, because it's just so easy to people to copy anything that's public, and create a bogus profile using your material. Or they can create a profile using a variation of your name, and you wouldn't even realize it! Watch "Catfish" on MTV a couple of times; for sure you'll close any accounts you aren't actively using or watching carefully!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 35

I try to keep an open mind in regards to all technology.   I have accounts on both Instagram and Snapchat--don't use them much at all but feels good to know how.  

Never say I can't or won't. Life presents interesting challenges every day. Embrace them. 

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 35
Aren't emogis a type of heiroglyphic?
Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 35

Who was the great communicator?  What would they say now.  I'd be interested to know what Mark Twain would have thought.. Wouldn't it be interesting if we went back to heiroglyphics. Remember cursive?

Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 35

I don't really use social media at all (except here!).  While there are some good points to social media there is a bad side.  I agree with a lot of the comments from others here, social interaction through a phone or tablet without personal interaction does not bode well for our future generation.  No one really talks to each other or even looks at each other!  They have become techno-zombies!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 35

Well, if anyone was not aware of Instagram and how it may be used or abused, then it certainly came to light yesterday!  I'll say no more and leave that for the politics board to discuss.

Message 19 of 35

The anonymity allows people to say things that they would not say in person. There is no sense of the other person.  I agree that I think it leads to more disattachment to others.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 20 of 35

nctarheel wrote:

The sad thing I see is that social media is being used to actually avoid being social.

<snip>

This fanaticism with smart phones and being connected all the time to everything has to be affecting how humans are forming relationships.

It can't be healthy for our future society.

This behavior may be to blame for the hyper-emotional, uber-aggressive interactions we see in the news and on this community, eh? That is to say perhaps we can look around and witness the consequences of cyber relationships today?

I've been studying the way social media is changing marketing. Marketing metrics is fascinating stuff. Timeline marketing can be both brill and insidious, imho. But keep in mind that marketing protocols respond to people's behavior. As people's behavior changes, so does marketing. (The original question, I would imagine, has something to do with AARP deciding where to put their outreach efforts for various demographics. My guess.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors