Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

DESKTOP RECOMMENDATIONS?

My 8 year old desktop computer is about to go into retirement.  Can some of you please suggest what brand and model of desktop I might purchase to replace it with?  I use my computer everyday to browse the Web, do some shopping and also play word games and Candy Crush.  Most consumer articles talk about expensive gaming computers that are no necessary for my use.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Keep your Hardware and get rid of bloated OS. Install a version of Ubuntu Desktop that fits your needs. There wiil be a bit of a learning curve  but it's not to painfull dependnig on the OS Ubuntu variation you choose. I am running XUBUNTU W/ XFCE desktop. 

see here => https://linuxconfig.org/8-best-ubuntu-desktop-environments-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

get here =>  https://xubuntu.org

Note: You may need a tech to help withsaving your data (backup) and the install but after thats it's Smoothing Sailing ..

.. AARP's are GO!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Look into a Chromebook. You're already doing everything on the Web. Using a very inexpensive yet fully-functional we-based platform to do essentially the same thing is in your interest.
radii
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Are you certain that is all you would ever expect to do with your new WindowsPC? Mac ? Chrome whatever?

In most cases an I-5 or AMD variant cpu should last, 8 Gb Ram, 500-1Tb Hard drive, and 8-16 Gb video.

Note: I said should, people change their minds and want more bells and whistles. Or the ability to do more stuff or use larger displays, video/pictures/ bring hobby fun into their new rigs.

If the latter could be you, get the spec’s on the motherboard for upgrade paths, more ram or bigger hard drives,or smaller faster SSD’s,  newer cpu’s , etc. Or newer whiz bang writers/readers with larger power supplies to power everything.

Note: I also said should last. Back in the olden days of Win3.0, I think the line was you’ll never use more than 128 kbytes of ram🤣. Or need more than 60 Mb HDD.

In other words it’s all one big roll of the dice what will last, leave a path for upgrade and you SHOULD be golden.

But, do some research and you may find other brands offering all the bells&possible whostles now for happy prices.

When the Little blighters return to school expect price drops.Maybe some may also get a 25% tariff this year, mine already have started.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It is a Windows PC I will be shopping for.  Thank you for you response but you are for more tech saavy than I am, so I don't understand much of your response.  This there one brand of PC that you might recommend over another?  Again, thank you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Basically avoid Gateway or e Machines , and any NEW brand with a guarantee should last, with constant updates and security patches, antivirus, etc.

I like Intel cpu’s Above AMD’s But, that’s just me.

Lenovo, HP, are decent desktop and towers, or allinones. An all in one would be monitor, computer in one unit.

Ask your neighborhood geek what you should buy or what do you want to spend prices and options like Ram, HDD, video cards, monitor, etc add to price.

You could look through tigerdirect.com for desktop computers and try to decide what you would like to buy.

Everything depends upon amount you would like to spend, whether a new display would be required, etc.

you also could google - “best desktop computers for 2018, etc.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP