Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Tuesday Topic: Technology

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start posing questions each week to spark conversation. This first week's question is:

What is different about being a family caregiver now versus twenty years ago?

Technology and resources have really advanced over the last two decades. What are some differences?

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@Jen wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start posing questions each week to spark conversation. This first week's question is:

Technology and resources have really advanced over the last two decades. What are some differences?

Hm. Interesting.

My first thought is that, in 1998, there was no Facebook. I can't remember if there was Google already: i remember using a search engine called Altavista. But Facebook really changed things for me. And before that, it was yahoo's neighborhood listservs. It was and is now still, so much easier to share things, information, stuff, sell and borrow. In my small town, we post things all the time on a page dedicated to the town: Is your internet down, too? Does anyone know about the fire on Mill Street?  Please pray for so and so, in ICU. I changed diabetes glucometer to measure my blood sugar and had a supply of test strips that i no longer could use. Found someone else who really appreciated free test strips. The sense of community and sharing surrounding our family is incredible, and amazing. Anyone going to town who can pick up a prescription? 

This might be more of a rural thing? But when i lived in DC, the neighborhood listserv was also an amazing resource.  We didn't have any of this in 1996.

Jane 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@Jen wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hm. Interesting.

My first thought is that, in 1998, there was no Facebook. I can't remember if there was Google already: i remember using a search engine called Altavista. But Facebook really changed things for me. And before that, it was yahoo's neighborhood listservs. It was and is now still, so much easier to share things, information, stuff, sell and borrow. In my small town, we post things all the time on a page dedicated to the town: Is your internet down, too? Does anyone know about the fire on Mill Street?  Please pray for so and so, in ICU. I changed diabetes glucometer to measure my blood sugar and had a supply of test strips that i no longer could use. Found someone else who really appreciated free test strips. The sense of community and sharing surrounding our family is incredible, and amazing. Anyone going to town who can pick up a prescription? 

This might be more of a rural thing? But when i lived in DC, the neighborhood listserv was also an amazing resource.  We didn't have any of this in 1998.

Jane 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP