Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Taking Care of Yourself

Hi everyone, 

As we get into colder weather and most of us spend more time indoors, it's a good reminder that we still need to shine light on ourselves and take care of our own needs. Remember, we can't take care of our loved ones, if we aren't taking care of ourselves. 

What's one thing you've done lately in the self-care department? 

Maybe, meditation, yoga, a bubble bath, a home-cooked meal? 

Let us know in the comments section! 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos

I work a more than full-time job and care for my 86-year-old mom, who has a bad hip that has impacted her mobility (I'm the only one she has). My life is very stressful. I've worked very hard in the past year to lose weight, be more active and this year, it's all about getting enough sleep. It makes a huge difference, both in how I physically feel and how I deal with the stress.

Community Concierge

@ElidaW771454 wrote:

I work a more than full-time job and care for my 86-year-old mom, who has a bad hip that has impacted her mobility (I'm the only one she has). My life is very stressful. I've worked very hard in the past year to lose weight, be more active and this year, it's all about getting enough sleep. It makes a huge difference, both in how I physically feel and how I deal with the stress.

Hi @ElidaW771454 - Sleep is a priority for sure. It's good to see that you are being more active and resting to combat that stress, as you said. Here's a GREAT article on more tips to nurture yourself. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

I watch movies to relax, get perspective, get out of my own head/ruminations/obsessions, and let go of the frustrations, let go of the painful stories I've heard all day (I am a psychotherapist), to learn something. Preferably a foreign movie because, frankly, I don't like to travel where i don't know the language. Did that, loved it, but hated being unable to communicate. So, movies give me 2 hours' escape.  Since i live in a county so rural that there are NO movie theaters, i rent DVDs from Netflix, or the library, and i stream them on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. May i suggest the fine AARP "Movies for Grownups" and the American Film Institute's 100 Funniest Movies. 

Jane

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP