Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

New here, need support helping my parents who both have dementia

Periodic Contributor

New here, need support helping my parents who both have dementia

My names Joyce, I am the Advance directive for my parents health issues. They both have Dementia from the strokes they have had in the past.

I am looking for any type of educational workbooks, classes or material. I am also looking for moral support from others who are taking care of there parents with dementia as well.

I pray that I will find some type of support on here.

Sincerely

Joyce Pennington

Community Concierge

@joycep568305 wrote:

My names Joyce, I am the Advance directive for my parents health issues. They both have Dementia from the strokes they have had in the past.

I am looking for any type of educational workbooks, classes or material. I am also looking for moral support from others who are taking care of there parents with dementia as well.

I pray that I will find some type of support on here.

Sincerely

Joyce Pennington

Joyce, I am so sorry to hear that dementia has set in on your loved ones. I am happy that you have reached out to us, though. 

In addition to the resources provided, we do have Care Guides for caregivers. This one on Caring for a Loved One with Dementia might be of most interest to you. 

Do you currently live with your parents as well? 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear Jen, Thank you for your comoment on my post. I will look into that today.

No, I do not live with them. I hired a in home care giver a year ago to help them. 

I live in Otis Oregon by the coast, my folks live in Lebanon Oregon, about 3 hours away.

Blessings and thank you again.

Community Concierge

@joycep568305 wrote:

Dear Jen, Thank you for your comoment on my post. I will look into that today.

No, I do not live with them. I hired a in home care giver a year ago to help them. 

I live in Otis Oregon by the coast, my folks live in Lebanon Oregon, about 3 hours away.

Blessings and thank you again.

Joyce,

Here is another Care Guide on Long Distance Caregiving. Hope this helps!  

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi, Joyce.   I'm sorry you are going through this!   I haven't helped a parent through this, but I did provide backup support for two other close relatives.  

Here is a link to find caregiver support groups close to you.

http://www.alz.org/care/alzheimers-dementia-support-groups.asp

If you are the primary caregiver, are there others around who can give you some relief?   Church, family, friends?   Someone to watch your parents for a few hours here or there, preferably on a regular basis, so you get some down time?  

And I always found this helpful, because in the course of conversations with my relatives who had dementia, I made a lot of these mistakes all the time. Knowing I didn't have to be 100% honest actually reduced the stress levels for both of us.  

https://www.caregiver.org/ten-real-life-strategies-dementia-caregiving

Those are just the big issues that "I" dealt with, but I know that everyone has unique circumstances.     

Also, local government offices on aging, local health departments, and local assisted living/nursing homes may have community resources that can help. And their doctors should have some resource information as well.  

Periodic Contributor

Dear Nerdy Mom,

Thank you for the links. I will be looking into them later today. 

Blessings to you,

Thank you again. I did have church members to talk with but they have busy lives so I no longer talk with them as much as I'd like. 

Ty joyce

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP