Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medical Alert Device-what brand is light weight and small

Periodic Contributor

Medical Alert Device-what brand is light weight and small

Trying to find specifications on medical alert devices.  Need a mobile device with fall detection. Want pendant type but want a light weight small one. Are there any recommendations or where can I go on internet to find the weight and dimensions of the devices for Comparison? 

AARP Expert

@c153632g I wrote an article for the AARP Family Caregiving site about medical alert systems and how to choose one - here is the link: How to Choose a Medical Alert System. 

There are constantly new devices coming out, so I do not list specific companies and what they offer - the information would become out of date too easily! But - I'd recommend you google medical alert devices/systems and go to each provider's website - they should have the information about weight, size etc for all of their devices. 

In general, there will be devices that:

• can be worn like a necklace (pendant)
  • can be worn like a watch
  • can be clipped to a pocket or belt

Some can be used multiple ways. 

So think about what would work best - I'm finding many people go for the pendants but then try the watch-type and like it better - and sometimes vice versa! Make sure it's as waterproof as possible whatever you get! In the article I list all of the features to consider. If going out in the community regularly, I also recommend the GPS function so it can be used anywhere - even in the grocery store parking lot! 

Hope this is helpful - let me know if you need more info or have specific questions! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

Periodic Contributor

Thank you, Amy.  This is helpful.  I think I'm going to have to call them, they don't seem to have specifications on their websites.  I'll post the information I get in the event others are interested, but I also understand that this is timely with improved technology and cost changing all the time.

Cindy

AARP Expert

@c153632g Sounds good! I (and many others I’m sure) will be anxious to see what you find!

Keep in mind that some websites that offer reviews and other information about devices/systems are actually getting paid by the companies they review. 😊

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@c153632g wrote:

Trying to find specifications on medical alert devices.  Need a mobile device with fall detection. Want pendant type but want a light weight small one. Are there any recommendations or where can I go on internet to find the weight and dimensions of the devices for Comparison? 

Gosh, I do hope someone knows the answer. If there isn't a way to do it online, you can always call each manufacturer, and they've got to be able to tell you. 

Once in my job as a geriatric care manager, i tested one of the wrist ones, and dropped it to the rug a few times to see if it registered the drop as a 'fall.' Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. I was throwing the thing, and sometimes folks just sort of slither to the floor. 

If you find out what you're looking for, could you share? It would be really helpful to know. And sorry that i can't help.

Jane

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP