Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: How do you support your parents?

Message 11 of 13

I find the question to be too open. If able, one supports their parents according to their needs which is very specific to every family.

As a generalization, I would first make sure all the legal stuff is handled. You should have revocable trusts for each parent, power of attorney, health power of attorney. Make sure you know where all paperwork is as far as ownership of the house, any financial related items (savings, SS, etc.), or any other major items in the house. You need to know your parents wishes, and they need to be backed up legally.

As far as day to day, that's all an "it depends". Does your mom need help getting outside to some activities? Does your Dad need help with home chores? Would it help to have someone come in a few days a week to help with whatever is needed in the home?

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: How do you support your parents?

Message 12 of 13

gOOD MORNING ALL I CAN SAY TO YOU IS TO ALWAY ASK DA IF YOU CAN HELK AND YOU NEED TO RELEAVE YOUR DAD ONE DAY A WEEK TO GIVE HIM RELAX TIME YOU MAY HAVE TO MAKE HIM DO ....IF HE DONT WANT TO LEAVE THE HOME INSIT ON YOU TAKING CARE OF MOM AND HE IS OFF DUTY... AND THIS IS YOUR TIME TO DO ONE ON ONE TIME WITH MO AND ENJOY THE TIME WITH MOM YOU WILL ALWAYS BE BLESSED OF THE TIME... MY MOM LIVES WITH ME AND I SHE HAS ALZHEIMERS I TAKE ONE DAY BREAKS TO REFRESH.. HOPE THIS HELPS

Highlighted
Info Seeker

How do you support your parents?

Message 13 of 13

My dear parents have been married over 50 years and doing well until about a year ago.  My mom started having various health issues and while not life threatening, it has impacted her quality of life.  My dad does 100% of the caregiving at home.  He is cooking, shopping, cleaning, doing laundry, lawn care, keeping track of doctor appts, and daily errands.  Until we can resolve the health issues my mom is battling, she is unfortunately mostly staying inside at home with the occasional trip outside to hair appointments.  I am happy she is able to keep up with that.  

My question to any adult child is how do you support your parents going through health issues that impact their quality of life?  I am open to input big and small.  Thanks.