Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Caregiver burnout help

Hi, I'm a caregiver to my 75 year old mother.  She is not at end of life stage, but she has decided she only wants to participate in certain aspects of her life.  Because I recently moved in with her (last August), things she would normally do on her own, she has since decided can mine to worry about now.  She does not bathe regularly enough although she is physically capable of doing so. Recently her car died and we decided it was best for her to not replace it.  There are other family members in town, but she has decided to schedule all of her events and appointments for after i get off work or during my weekends.  I'm mentally and physically exhausted and it's affecting my own mental health.  She also (just this week) gave all of her financial information to a scammer and i've been closing accouts, helping her open new ones, changing passwords and taking her all over town to change account information for various payments (utilities, retirement accounts, etc).  I am her POA.  We'd had extensive conversations about these types of scams and she still allowed herself to be victimized by fraud.  I'm frustrated and finding through research that I'm experiencing caregiver burnout. She is also a hoarder and for about a year and a half before i moved in with her, I had to go through mountains of boxes and dirt to make room for me to move in as well as make it a healthy and safe environment for her to live in.  Contacting plumber to get issues fixed and finally finding a housekeeper to come once a month for deep cleaning that i am unable to do my self (I've recently also had my lumbar spine fused and can only do so much physically).  Are there resources out there such as community support group meetings or someone i can connect with to just talk sometimes?  I feel so much guilt for feeling this way, but it's affecting my own quality of life too.  I appreciate any advice.

I completely understand how you feel; have been there.  Courage to Caregivers may be a great resource for you...It's all about putting on your oxygen mask first (taking care of you, the caregiver) so that you can best care for your loved one.  Courage to Caregivers (https://www.couragetocaregivers.org/) has coaching/support groups, peer support and breathing meditation classes...All virtual so easy for you to access.  You may want to check them out!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP