From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Struggling with Escalating Rent

Message 11 of 31

AARP could be an invaluable resource in adding a shared living forum.  Infinitely better than craigslist, westside rentals, etc.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

Duh!  Wasn't that the point of my post? 

I am looking for an acceptable way to go about doing just that.

Still, thanks for reading and responding. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

I am in exactly the same position you are, BeeRambles, and it does scare me.  I'm pretty sure my landlord plans to renovate my apartment building soon, which means I'll be forced out.  I have no idea where I'll end up.  Rents in Oregon have skyrocketed over the last 3-4 years.  I'm living a bare bones existance, driving a 23 year old car, etc. 

What state do you live in?  Wouldn't it be great if you said Oregon?  Smiley Happy

I would LOVE to know about a reliable and safe rental referral service that can  either direct me to low cost senior housing or put me in touch with another senior in my position that would like to share an apartment and expenses.  

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

Though we seem to be in the same predicament, BertieBGone, we don't live in the same state unfortunately.  My home is Florida, so it is a nationwide problem, just as  I thought. 

A couple of years ago, the latest owners of the apartment complex I live in renovated the apartment while I was living in it.  That was a horrid experience where I felt like I was their employee rather than their tenant.  I had to empty out all my cabinets, clean up after the workmen, and for three days, use only the bathtub to wash everything.  Not only that, I got a close up view of what a slipshod job they did, none of which I, or even the apartment manager, could get them to repair.  For all that inconvenience and unnecessary cosmetic cover-up, I was charged $100 more a month in rent.  Therefore, you have my sympathy. 

Since I have yet to find any resource where rent burdened seniors can congregate to find potential roommates, I made my post here as a start. 

Good luck to you, BertyBGone, and thank you for replying.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

I'm very interested in your Registry.  I live in San Francisco and for 38 years lived in a rent-controlled building.  In January, the entire building was evicted through the Ellis Act.  Since then, I've been crashing with friends.  I'm old enough to know that can't last long.  My search for housing has thus far proved fruitless.   Your idea of a Roommate Registry just might be the ticket.  I wish you good luck.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

BeeRambles - well, it looks like you've got some serious contenders for some sort of "roommate registry" in FL, OR and now CA.  Now do you have some sort of magic wand you can wave to make it all happen?  Smiley LOL  Smiley LOL

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

At age 75, i decided to buy a 2 story townhouse. That was 3.5 years ago. I lived previously in a 55 plus rental. A really nice 2 bedroom cottage with a garage. I loved it there. Lots to do and regular exercise program. But, rent kept going up. Except for utilities and HOA fee of an xtra $240 A month, my home payment is half with a 15 yr mtg. So I plan on staying as long as I can get up those 16 stairs.

I think some kind of registry would be nice, but don't know if AARP is the one to take it on. I think it benefit us to take it up with city planning. I wish they would plan for tiny homes with a small front porch, in a walkable community, with grocery and stores nearby. And of course, near my family ( that is the 'catch').

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

Voltaire 1,

Isn't it just like the government to rescind a perfectly good solution like rent control for us people on fixed income.  I recently read in AARP's newsletter than 80% of seniors will be renting.  Just how much blood do these suckers think they can get out us turnips?  Are tent cities for seniors in the future for us grasshoppers that don't have the funds to buy and have to rent? 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

Bertie B Gone,

What little magic, if any, I have is contained in my posts.  No wand included. 

JoJo 0345,

You must have greater faith in your local government than I do in mine.

Thanks to both of you for replying though.  Maybe if this thread becomes long enough some good will come of it. 

To Both of You,

Thank you for reading and replying. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

Seniority is the same here in Tampa, except senior housing has a 4 year at least waiting list and are not taking new names. One bedroom apts are expensive. I too am retired, older (82), and with limited income, even though I worked 55 years as an RN, BSN, and was Certified with ANCC. My husband was a retired USAF officer who for unknown reasons did not leave me Survivor Benefits that I did not learn about until after he died. He had no life insurance (I was not aware of that either). He left me in a fix. Our home was not liveable after a hurricane removed the roof and it had extensive water damage and was beyond repair. I sold the property at a huge loss. I’m now 82. I’ve had a heart attack and a triple CABG. I fell a year and 1/2 ago and fractured my distal femur above where I had a total knee replacement. It was a comminuted fracture (bone broken into small pieces) and Physical Therapy did not think that I would ever walk again. I do walk, but use an UpWalker or a folding walker. I walk everyday up to 3 miles per day. I would love to find someone to share a house or apartment with. I can cook light meals. I currently live with my son, but would rather have other arrangements.

Robbi 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors