Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

HSA contribution clarification

My wife and I are both over 55, semi retired but not 65.   I contribute to our HSA that I took with me when I left my old job.  She has been a stay at home wife and mother.   It covers us both. 

The wording on the IRS web site has me a bit confused.    

We have 1 family HSA.    I believe we can contribute $3500 each to it and as we are both over 55 an extra $1000 each for a total of $9000 for this year. 

Additional contribution. If you are an eligible individual
who is age 55 or older at the end of your tax year, your
contribution limit is increased by $1,000.

Rules for married people. If either spouse has family HDHP coverage, both spouses are treated as having
family HDHP coverage. If each spouse has family coverage under a separate plan, the contribution limit for 2018
is $6,900. You must reduce the limit on contributions, before taking into account any additional contributions, by
the amount contributed to both spouses’ Archer MSAs.
After that reduction, the contribution limit is split equally
between the spouses unless you agree on a different division.
The rules for married people apply only if both
spouses are eligible individuals.
If both spouses are 55 or older and not enrolled in Medicare, each spouse’s contribution limit is increased by the
additional contribution. If both spouses meet the age requirement, the total contributions under family coverage
can’t be more than $8,900. Each spouse must make the
additional contribution to his or her own HSA.

When I read the Irs Web site it mentions we can do the extra $1000 but she must put it in her individual family HSA.   WTH???   

Must we have two seperate HSA's? 

What is my real conributon for 2019 allowed. 

Last question. 

As weI approach age 65 and medicare  can we still make a prorated contributon for that year we attain 65 or are we shut out for the entire year though the birthdays are in the latter half of the year. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP