Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting the most from Rewards Cards

Message 21 of 26

I finally caved and went with a rewards card.  It was simply because I felt like I was paying for everyone else to own one.  The cost of goods everywhere continues to increase and I feel these rewards cards, coupons, etc are a good part of the reason why.  I've not been dissapointed in the results.  There are some caveats I learned in my research, some things to read in the fine print.  Most cards do not consider WalMart or Target or Sams, etc a grocery store, so look for exclusions in the card terms. They also do not consider Sams or BJs gas stations. We do a lot of shopping at warehouse clubs and almost exclusively gas up at them.  I found cards that offered a little less in percentage rewards but where the rewards were good for everything to be better for us than the cards offering higer rates on specifics like groceries, gas, travel, etc. I got rid of my debit card, dangerous to carry!

amcoffiebean
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 26

Like the original poster, DW and I maintain two cards only. I could, as some do, get more cards and increase cash rewards by picking the card that would give me the most back. But, it's too easy to be hacked, too many accounts to check. One card is used for travel overseas as it does not charge foreign transaction fees.

I have used credit cards for 40+ years, and have 10's of thousands of dollars back over that time in cash back or another equivalent.  

I've never had a debit card. As has been discussed many times in the past, they are not protected as credit cards are. In 40+ years, I have never paid a single cent in interest. That's another bonus to cc's. If you use them, pay them off, your credit score goes up and allows you better loan rates such as new car purchase. You again, save money for being a good credit risk.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 26

I would like to know card names also

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 26

This doesn't have to do with rewards except to made income tax time MUCH easier!  I use a single credit card for all medical expenses.  All the other expenses go on a different card.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 26

"..... I use a single credit card for all medical expenses.  All the other expenses go on a different card...".
Nothing wrong with that idea. In the interest of the OP, your goal then is to make sure you have a rewards card that pays the most in rewards for your medical expenses.  Most cards would have a standard 1% rebate. But some cards would give you 2%. Doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up. 
   Of course, it makes a difference if you're carrying a balance....................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 26

If you book a program through the popular Road Scholar company and pay with your Chase Sapphire Reward Card, you will not receive double reward points because Road Scholar is considered to be "educational travel" even though if you booked the same trip on your own it would be considered to be travel for getting the double reward points.  Paying $95.00 a year for this Chase card is not worth it to me because of this policy.

Kudos
Views