Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Budget Rent A Car Charging $450 for a smoke smell and I do not smoke

Periodic Contributor

Budget Rent A Car Charging $450 for a smoke smell and I do not smoke

I just had the worst experience with Budget Rent a Car and I appear to have no other avenue besides venting my frustrations here.  I rented a car from Budget on 4/24/2024 at the George Bush Airport in Houston Texas.  I returned the vehicle the next day, 4/25/2024.  Today, four days after leaving the car with them, I get an email saying they are charging my card an additional $450 because of an alleged heavy smoke smell in the car.  I have never smoked cigarettes or anything else in my life and neither has my wife or 8 year old son that were with me on the trip.  They send me pictures of dust or some substance but there is nothing in the pictures that they sent that even shows that it was the vehicle I rented.  You drop the car off to them, they say nothing and four days later charge you for something you did not do.  Once you drop the car off to them you have no way of knowing what happened to the vehicle and who did the inspection.  This is ridiculous and I ask anyone reading this to not use Budget Rent a Car.  I also wrote a complaint on the Better Business Bureau site and there were many other customers that were charged "cleaning fees" for no reason.  I truly hope that someone from AARP reads this and as it was due to the relationship and discount that AARP has with Budget that I rented this car.  Again, please do not rent from Budget.  Thank you.

Periodic Contributor

I thought it would be fair to update my post with a status.  Budget reached out to me and advised me that after an investigation they found some discrepencies in their process and insufficient proof by their maintenance team and therefore they will not be charging me the $450. I do hope that anyone reading this take extra time to inspect the rental car when they take posession of it and even take pictures of any damage on the vehicle when they first get the car. Also take pictures of the vehicle after drop off or ask to watch the inspection of the vehicle before leaving it. They extra time may save you some money becaise although i ended up not getting charged there appear to have been other reviews by customers that were not as lucky. Thank you. 

They are who they hire, they pay nothing and they get nothing but more added expense due to abuse?

It would be nice to know the history of that vehicle and how many other people were posed with the same threat and paid? If that happened before, then obviously it wasn't you was it? Rentals are so disgusting today since the car shortages... that's a fact

I'm a newbie, that's funny (ha ha, not funny strange) 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

(1 comment) @CraigD11852 , as a person who has NEVER smoked this is so unfair. I am sorry you went through this and thanks for the warning. I am wondering IF moving forward customers need to be present when the car they returned is inspected. Just a thought!

Nicole  👵

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you Nicole. Great point about being present when the rental car inspection is done. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP