AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Quizzes to Earn Points AARP Rewards For Goods

Message 41 of 115

Thank you, Hokie Poq!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my half-facetious question.  If even one person who reads these fori has won a sweepstakes, that pretty much confirms that they're for real.  I usually do "spend" Rewards Points on these sweepstakes as winning one would indeed be completely free money, except for the three-four minutes per day that I spend entering.

Please don't get me wrong.  I usually learn at least one new thing, sometimes more, when I partake in a quiz.  What annoys me is taking a quiz in which I'm not really interested, solely to bolster my Rewards Points, and then not getting the points.  To me that's a rip-off.  However, it's not a rip-off worth spending even more time on, chasing the points in the real world with a service representative.  If the AARP's poohbahs don't have anyone monitoring these boards for glitches, and/or if the monitors can't get anything fixed.... well, that's just a sign of these mostly incompetent times.

At any rate, thank you again for letting me know that the sweepstakes are indeed legit and winable.  I hope you had a nice meal!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 115

Saving money is never easy. Neither is staying healthy easy. Nor is staying married easy. Earning a PhD is not easy, either. Heck, life is not easy. We learn to deal, to do the things that become important to us. I get a certain joy out of racking up Rewards for Good points. I have the goofy idea that one day I'll buy a purse full of sporting/outdoor store gift cards with them and go to town to outfit our post-retirement on-the-road RV life.

Also, I adore puzzles. So for me, working the tasks in their never-ending permutations has become a quasi-brain game.

In the past three days, I earned 10,000 points. That's roughly $1,000 worth of future gift card savings. Worth it? Yes, to me.  

10000 points in last 3 days r4g.png10,000 points earned in the past 3 days! Weeee!

If your joy is elsewhere, you'll need to go elsewhere to find it. 

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 115

About two years ago, I won a $10 IHOP card in a sweepstakes.  It was just for logging in as I didn't spend points for that.  Nothing since and nothing on those I spent points on to enter. 

It's not cost effective no doubt to spend time on these pursuits and if you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

I was probably the one who replied and changed the title without knowing what I was doing.  Sorry about that.  I'd say if it makes you angry do something else.  To me it's free and I get what I paid for.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 115

@CatGiorgia66  I completely understand making choices based on effectiveness. 

I do the same thing. 

PS You do sound ungrateful. FWIW.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 115

Dear Epster and Teri:

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will continue to occasionally play games and/or earn a few points doing quizzes.  When I do so, if I wind up spending more time on problems and trouble-shooting than I spend actually doing the games and/or quizzes, I will let you know.  I will not be spending any time on hold with the AARP help line, nor will I be spending any time trouble-shooting my computer when absolutely none of the other websites I visit is giving me any problems what-so-ever.

In other words, there's nothing wrong with the search engine I'm using, nor do I have a clogged cache, nor do I have any problems with an ad-blocker, nor anything else.  The problem is with the AARP web-site.  I am absolutely sure of this because my housemate is also an AARP member and he has similar problems with it.

Just to make sure you understand I'm not being ungrateful: I spend time on the phone getting "real-world" points when there's a problem with my Kroger fuel points, or I'll spend time on the phone with my bank if they've missed giving me my 1-2-3 Rewards Points; or I'll spend time on the phone with State Farm if I need to see if my coverage is up-to-date; or I'll spend time on the phone with the Social Security Administration if there's a problem with my benefit check; or I'll spend time on the phone with Medicare if I think they've messed up a payment to my doctor.  See where am I going with this?  I don't have any excess energy or time to spend on the phone chasing imaginary points for imaginary sweepstakes  (*) or auctions that are for items I'll never use.  I repeat: when it stops being fun, I stop being interested.  

I will continue to spend a few moments now and then holding somebody's (who knows who) feet to the fire until the Trizzle Game's Trophy Room is fixed.  Maybe it's time for the AARP to explain to Arkadium that they'll block any and all dollar-transfers for "extra plays" untiil and if Arkadium fixes the games that aren't working?  How about that for an idea?

PS:  Lest someone try and make an issue about the length of this post: I type very quickly, and, unlike being on hold, I like writing.

(*)  Footnote:  Does anybody out there know of anybody who's every actually won one of those sweepstakes?  It seems to take forever to process the winners, and then there's only the vague assurance that "so-and-so" in city-state has won.  I for one am growing increasingly skeptical of the actuality of these sweepstakes.  They're probably as rigged as the high-scores in some of the games.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 115

Reporting back.

This task still doesn't work (for me) today. As you can see, I have turned my ad blocker off. No dice. Waa.

Investment Goal Calculator not giving points.pngShowing points available, not giving 'em up.

On the plus side, though, I see that the system did actually award points for those two Spanish language calculators. Those are the Required Minimum Distributions calculator and the Tax Margins calculator. See below. 

Spanish language RMD and tax margin calculators worked.png

Again, your mileage may vary.  I hope you all earn oddles of rewards points!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 115

@CatGiorgia66 wrote:
"Ready for Retirement Quiz:

DOUBLE POINTS? TRY "NO POINTS!" Judging from other posts below the quiz, this is a common problem.

"Retirement Calculator" stalled out due to "long-running script." = NO POINTS THERE EITHER.

@CatGiorgia66  I'm sorry you are still having trouble. Did you call the Rewards for Good customer service phone number like @AARPTeri suggested above?

Refresher: @CatGiorgia66  I am sorry you are frustrated with our Rewards for Good program.  I would like to clarify that the quizzes are worth 300 points, were you able to receive 600 points which was the doubled amount?  If not, please call our Customer Service department (Rewards for Good Center at 1-888-605-6432)  who can assist you in getting the correct amount of points for completing these. 

Other than calling and asking the points be added to your account, here are things you can try if you feel a task owes you points. (FYI: the customer service rep will check your account history to ascertain your point status.)

Log out, clear your cache, and log back in.

Turn your ad blocker off.

Refresh the page and start the task over.

Close your browser window and open a fresh one.

Close your browser and start afresh.

Try a different browser altogether.

Restart your computer.

Here's one more thing that worked for me this morning with regards to getting missing points credited: be patient. The system awarded points on two tasks whilst I was away. Yay! Smiley Happy (I'll try that third 'broken' task in a minute. If it doesn't work, I'll call customer service in the morning. Smiley Happy

The timeout error, from my experience, could be that you logged on when the R4G computers were overloaded (I make it a habit to stay away from R4G after 8 AM and it is absolute that I stay away between 3-5 my time because it seems the system is usually overloaded then), or maybe the issue is with your computer system. 

I hope something here helps and further that you are able to amass a virtual fortune in rewards points. Smiley Happy

Best wishes,

Epster

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 115
"Ready for Retirement Quiz:

DOUBLE POINTS? TRY "NO POINTS!" Judging from other posts below the quiz, this is a common problem.
AARP: Fix this or stop lying about points available!

"Retirement Calculator" stalled out due to "long-running script." = NO POINTS THERE EITHER.

HURRAY FOR A CONTINUED LOUSY WEBSITE and fifteen minutes of my life I could have spent gardening or reading or watching TV or walking or talking on the phone with a friend.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 115

Quick post as I'm running late and have an appt with a training track ... I have more to say about a few (3) calculators that I cannot get to work this AM (your mileage may vary), but wanted to remind people to get their 5,000 first of the month points today because some of these tasks will renew again tomorrow, and well, you should earn points on those things twice this weekend, right? Right! Smiley Happy

This morning I found that the Social Security Calculator is giving double points. DOUBLE! WOOT!

Under Work & Retrement SS Benes Calculator DOUBLE POINTS!.pngThis task is in the Work and Retirement section. Go get 'em! Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: New 1200Point Quiz

Message 50 of 115

@CatGiorgia66 wrote:

NOTE TO OTHER MEMBERS:

If you find something interesting, worthwhile, etc., give the exact title of the quiz and/or copy and paste a link to the first page of the quiz.  PLEASE!!!!   Thank you.

@CatGiorgia66  The name of the 1200 point task has been listed by previous posters. You'll find it by reading the thread. (Also included in images below, as it happens.)

As to the thread's title: it was changed when a poster hit reply, but edited the automatically filled-in title before posting the new comment. Sorry about the confusion.

Check out these two screengrabs: they show you what happened with the title change.

new 1200 point quiz.jpgThread title.png

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views