Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Community Guidelines

The Community Guidelines state the following under the "Golden Rules"

AARP Online Community Guidelines

• Cite your sources.

We encourage members to use online resources in their discussions. But please be sure to cite your sources and give credit where it is due.

• Help us read your posts.

Keep your posts easy to read and understand by checking your spelling and grammar and being as clear as possible. Remember, for instance, that the use of all capitals is considered yelling online.

We have one poster that constantly creates new topics via cut and pasting from various website and NEVER cits his sources.  WHY is this permitted?

Another poster rarely, if ever, appears to check her spelling and grammar.  Why is this permitted?

The community would be better served if the moderators were more consistent regarding the TOS and Community Guidelines.

If you routinely express intolerance, please consider the definition of "bigotry".
Social Butterfly

Wholeheartedly agree. Good post.

Understandably, we have a population of users who run the gamut of experience in writing, in posting in forums, etc. Even some for whom English is a second language, apparently. So I cut people some slack depending on the circumstances. Oh, and of course the big one here at AARP...cognitive decline and loosening of impulse control.

But for any egregious problems you might (a) red flag them (whatever we call that here on this forum) to the moderators' attention (I have done this many times for obvious spam, etc), and/or (b) post a polite reply to the offender/perpetrator...then be prepared for blow-back and have a plan for that event. I suppose (c) might be creating a new thread...posting with suggestions and recommendations for AARP forum etiquette. OR IS THAT ETIQUIETTE?

Edit:   oh, my point about the possible new thread/post with suggestions...then you can reply to offenders/perpetrators with a link to the helpful post with suggestions and guidelines. #thumbsup!

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

We have one poster that constantly creates new topics via cut and pasting from various website and NEVER cits his sources.  WHY is this permitted?

Another poster rarely, if ever, appears to check her spelling and grammar.  Why is this permitted?

Honored Social Butterfly

@fffred wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree. Good post.

Understandably, we have a population of users who run the gamut of experience in writing, in posting in forums, etc. Even some for whom English is a second language, apparently. So I cut people some slack depending on the circumstances.

Thank you Fred for your input....I agree, thus the kudo's.

With that said, we may both agree that there is much differnce between "cutting someone slack" and taking some effort to "helping others read one's posts."

Thanks again, Fred.  It's always great to see your logical reasoning.

If you routinely express intolerance, please consider the definition of "bigotry".
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

By the way, I am really a big fan of "cite your source"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP