Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Expert Series: Managing Stress & Anxiety: Q&A with Dr. Barry Jacobs and Dr. Julie Maye

Message 41 of 48

Stress from being a caregiver for someone with mental disturbances

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Expert Series: Managing Stress & Anxiety: Q&A with Dr. Barry Jacobs and Dr. Julie Maye

Message 42 of 48

I've just gone thru a painful divorce after 25 years of marriage, I had to move in with my son in another state because I could no longer afford to live on my own, I ended up with a very part-time job that, along with my social security check, isn't enough to keep me alive....I was furloughed because it was restaurant/retail and surviving on unemployment.  I am a high risk for this virus and have kept myself pretty isolated since mid-March when I was laid off.  Now, they are wanting me to return to work and I'm scared to death.  I don't want to lose my unemployment but how do I go back and keep myself safe?  I believe they are letting us wear masks (I don't even have one and no way to sew one for myself).  Are they obligated to provide me with the safety materials I need to keep from getting sick?  To say I am depressed, worried and scared are understatements.  So much has happened to me in the last 6 months that it's all I can do to get out of bed in the morning.  I so much want life to return to "normal" (whatever that is) and move on with what's left of my life.  I don't know how to be happy anymore and I haven't for a really long time. 😔😔

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Re: Managing Stress and Anxiety During the Pandemic

Message 43 of 48

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 48
I live in little old Freeport, Tx. I listen to Dr. Phil a lot. His Son has an online web site called, "Dr. On Demand."
He just said on yesterday's program to just go online and type in "Dr. On Demand" in the URL at the top of your screen. Hey, it's worth a try. And if they cannot help, I bet they know who can help you. He made a
believer out of me. Good luck.
Laura E. Taff
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager

Message 45 of 48

Thanks for your post Dr. Barry & Dr. Julie will be answering your posts soon - stay tuned!

AARPTeri
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 46 of 48

I'm live in NEW YORK CITY (STATEN IS LAND) thru all this covid19 iiv lost 3friends to it and haven't been able to see my grandchildren since the start.FaceTime is good but doesn't replace the hugs.I worry is my life ever going to get back to normal .seems to me the new attitude is the old people are going to have to deal with this.I try to stay positive thru yoga and exercise reading and not watching to much need but it is overwhelming.

Highlighted

Message 47 of 48
I live in Dallas, TX, I have been taking care of a good friend who has some mental health issues. He has panic attacks, worst I've seen. Having them myself, tho controlled, I can relate. He is bipolor and borderline personality disorder. He is going to a "Metrocare" Dr. but meds is all she can do. The clinic has him scheduled for a therapist but it has been several months, so I was wondering if you know the name of a good holistic therapist in my area. I have been searching but with him not working or on any government program, it is hard. I look forward to your Q & A.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Expert Series: Managing Stress & Anxiety: Q&A with Dr. Barry Jacobs and Dr. Julie Mayer, Live!

Message 48 of 48

Living through these unprecedented times is strange, stressful, anxiety-inducing, scary and sad. 

Clinical psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety and sadness we are all facing these days. 

What questions would you like them to answer? What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety? 

We will answer your questions on the AARP Rewards Connect page later this month and during live Q&A sessions on May 20, 3 to 5 p.m., and May 27, 3 to 5 p.m

AARPTeri
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Thursday, July 9 – Coronavirus Event

1 p.m. ET - Answering Your Frequently Asked Questions

Call: 1-855-274-9507