Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Want to set sail this summer? Share some of your best tips for making cruise travel easy and fun, and how AARP Rewards can help you travel, for a chance to win!

The contest runs from July 10 through Aug. 6, 2023. We will choose three (3) winners to receive a $500 Carnival Cruise Gift Card! 

To enter, reply to this post before August 6, 2023, with your tips for cruising and how you use AARP Rewards to help you travel.  

Official Rules for the contest are posted here -   AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Example for a Post Entry:

When my family and I travel on cruises we always arrive at port at least one day earlier so we don’t have to rush the morning of and can explore the area. Last year we used AARP Rewards to purchase a discounted Hotels.com gift card to save on our hotel stay in Port Canaveral, Florida the day before our cruise.

AARPTeri
Contributor

Hi I’ve never been on a cruise but I know something’s about travel:                    1) research & make sure you go on a cruise that fits your lifestyle (age makes a difference, kids or no, etc.) it might be worth it going through a travel agent or better yet, AARP.

2) plan your trips & your outfits but be flexible 

3) bring extra money but keep within your budget

4) don’t overeat! People say they often gain weight when they go on a cruise, so make sure you have some clothes with wiggle room 

5) I’ve heard getting a room with an outside balcony is priceless, especially for people who might get seasick

6) read travel blogs, etc. to find ‘hacks’ & ideas, the magnetic hook idea is great

7) relax and have fun

Leave your worries, your work, your computer and your cell phone behind. Relax and enjoy the present.

Periodic Contributor

@AARPTeri wrote:

Want to set sail this summer? Share some of your best tips for making cruise travel easy and fun, and how AARP Rewards can help you travel, for a chance to win!

The contest runs from July 10 through Aug. 6, 2023. We will choose three (3) winners to receive a $500 Carnival Cruise Gift Card! 

To enter, reply to this post before August 6, 2023, with your tips for cruising and how you use AARP Rewards to help you travel.  

Official Rules for the contest are posted here -   AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Example for a Post Entry:

When my family and I travel on cruises we always arrive at port at least one day earlier so we don’t have to rush the morning of and can explore the area. Last year we used AARP Rewards to purchase a discounted Hotels.com gift card to save on our hotel stay in Port Canaveral, Florida the day before our cruise.

•  

While I have never been on a cruise myself, I have seen friends and family enjoy them immensely.  I would love to find cruises that explore coastal destinations that would be hard to travel to by land or air - remote destinations like Alaska or Iceland, or remote islands with no airports. I also think theme cruises would be fun, like film festivals, art camps, or yoga/meditation retreats on board -- maybe I could find a program where I could teach classes for discount credit! What do you think AARP? Do such programs exist? Any advice?

p.s. thanks everyone for the awesome tips - love that magnetic hook trick! 🙂🛳

Contributor

We went for an almost 3 months long cruise.  It was our first try and glad we did.  Even though it was a long cruise, we only packed a large baggage for each person.  Use packing cubes, not only do they save a lot of space in your luggage, you can put the cubes in the drawers or closet directly and no need to repack everything. Bring magnet hooks to hold your lanyard or hanging light jacket, most rooms have metal walls or ceilings.  We didn't expect AARP has gift cards offers until we were onboard.  We saw people redeeming a stack of gift cards which for sure saved a lot of money but be prepared that it would take some time for the guest service to redeem for you.

Contributor

My hubby and I take a few strong metal magnetic C clips to put on the walls of our room for hanging up of extra clothes or towels which are wet, so the bathroom isn't as cluttered. You can get a pack of them for a couple bucks at your local Harbor Freight store or Amazon! Hope this helps 🙂

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Buy stock for the cruise ship and get ship board credit while cruising.

0 Kudos

I have never been on a cruise before. This would be a dream trip if I could win this to go towards a trip for my husband and myself. I tell friends that it is just not our season to travel because my husband caught covid and had a stroke in 2020 he has just got back to working and it is only part time money, enough to help pay the bills. We got married in 2009 and never real had a honeymoon. It would be wonderful to take a trip together alone. My mother passed in March and my brothers and myself are having to care for my 84 year old dad. I am away from my husband every other week. We could definitely use some us time together. Thanks for the opportunity Tiffani Hall

0 Kudos

I never have been on a cruise, so I can't offer any advice. I also have not used AARP to plan a trip yet. But it sounds like a good idea.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've dreamed about going on a cruise for a long time! So love the comments people are making and hope to plan one in the next year. Would love it to be a family trip.

0 Kudos

Hello!  Took my first cruise last year and I’m counting the days until my next one in December.  It’s a great experience all around. Staff members go out of their way to make sure you’re having fun.  Take advantage of all the onboard fun contests . You can win anything from a tee shirt, an excursion or even a cruise.  Take advantage of every The cruise has to offer. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We've never been able to enjoy a cruise so we are reading all the comments and taking them to heart so that we can plan a future trip! Can't wait.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don't over plan or over pack.  Take it easy and have fun!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Use AARP  for discounts and advice on different cruises 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Put a magnet on the door outside your cabin. It’s will help you ease to find your cabin 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Book excursions early try different 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Book as soon as possible to get early booking discounts, to secure your first choice of cabin, and to avoid future (and more frequent) fare increases later, since your early fare gets locked in.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

There are also websites that watch when Cruise Lines offer non-booked rooms for great discounts but only for the people with flexibility for last minute travel.  Often it is the people who live in the cruise port city that can actually take advantage because flights rarely line up.  

0 Kudos

I love to cruise! I am booked on Carnival for departure on 12-31-23. First time my daughter, husband and kids are going! I am ALWAYS a over-packer! This time I am putting my outfits together with earrings and roll it up for suitcase! I buy all small size toiletries and never pack a blow dryer! 3 pairs of shoes max! Dressy sandals, pool shoes n Tennis shoes for walking! Pack good sunscreen! Don’t scrimp with off brands- you may burn! Sunglasses and a hat is a must as well! Check out the other tips from travelers as well. AARP can save you $$$ just by using their app for airfare, hotel, etc. tithe most important thing, relax, unplugg from social media and make memories! It’s a trip of a lifetime!  So excited for this trip! Hope I get chosen for the gift card! 🩷

0 Kudos

Being a Single Mom and not being able to take a real vacation in years it would be wonderful to win this trip and take my son with me now that he is older 🙂

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

My husband and I was married in October 2007 and has never had a honeymoon. I think it would be great to celebrate our 16th anniversary on a cruise. I’m Donna Watson and my husband is James Watson Jr. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Alot of times it is hard to pack everything you want to in your suitcase, so I have two hacks for you. First, use the empty paper towel tub to hold a scarf and pull thru so that you can type each end to the other on the outside. This keeps scarfs from disappearing in the rest of the luggage. Another tip, buy small clear pill bags. This eliminates the hard-shell bottles which talk up alot of room AND lastly, always write out and pack a list of every medical condition and all of your drugs and vitamins. If you have a major medical issue buy a Red Cross Medical Alert sticker and put it on your luggage. This more than anything could save your life. 

0 Kudos

Have fun and talk with the staff. They are very helpful. Learn about all the countries they are fun. The best time on my cruise was talking, being and spending time with the cruise staff. And enjoy all the lucious food! Research and use the AARP rewards.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Thanks for this opportunity Terri, to win some cruise "mad money" for my friend and I. I recently booked a cruise for us through AARP Travel and are so excited! We leave December 3, 2023 and I've been binge watching YouTube videos ever since. I came across a good tip for those who are Facebook-friendly. If you would like to connect with some others who will be on the same cruise, do a FB search using your cruise ship name and date. Get to know your cruise partners, plan meetups or shipboard games ahead of time. Happy sailing everyone!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Be very open to meeting new friends and personnel onboard the ship. Never know where it will end up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We love to cruise!  My advise is to research what you need to bring.  There are a lot of handy suggestions online.  *I especially like Life Well Cruised on you tube. (https://lifewellcruised.com/) She has lots of recommended items, ports to visit and things I never would have thought of !  

We love Carnival Cruise Lines.  There is so much to do, food is delicious, everyone is friendly. Be sure to check out the shows!  

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Try these reccommendations for a smooth and unforgettable trip:

1. Choose the Right Cruise Line: Research is key when selecting a cruise line that matches your preferences. Some lines focus on family-friendly activities, while others cater to luxury or adventure seekers. Read reviews and consider the onboard amenities, itineraries, and onboard experiences before making your choice.

2. Plan Ahead for Excursions: Shore excursions are a highlight of any cruise, offering opportunities to explore exotic locales. To make the most of your time in port, pre-book your excursions to secure a spot and avoid last-minute disappointments.

3. Pack Smartly: Cruise cabins might be cozy, so pack wisely and efficiently. Don't forget essentials like travel documents, medications, and appropriate attire for formal nights and shore excursions. Check the dress code of your cruise to avoid overpacking.

4. Embrace Onboard Activities: Cruises are like floating cities with an array of activities to indulge in. From Broadway-style shows and cooking classes to rock-climbing walls and water parks, there's never a dull moment on a cruise ship.

5. Budget for Extras: While many aspects of a cruise are all-inclusive, it's essential to budget for extra expenses like specialty dining, spa treatments, and gratuities. Setting aside a discretionary fund ensures you can indulge in unique experiences without worry.

6. Be Mindful of Seasickness: If you're prone to motion sickness, consider choosing a midship cabin and bring along remedies like ginger candies or over-the-counter medications. Many modern cruise ships have advanced stabilizers that reduce the likelihood of feeling seasick.

7. Stay Connected (or Disconnect!): Most cruises offer internet packages, but be mindful that onboard internet can be expensive and slow. Decide if you want to stay connected or take this opportunity to disconnect and fully immerse yourself in the cruise experience.

8. Observe Environmental Responsibility: Cruises take us to pristine destinations, so it's crucial to be mindful of the environment. Follow guidelines for waste disposal and support eco-friendly excursions that promote sustainability.

9. Travel Insurance is a Must: Despite meticulous planning, unforeseen circumstances may arise. Purchase comprehensive travel insurance to protect your investment and have peace of mind throughout your journey.

10. Cherish the Experience: Finally, savor every moment of your cruise adventure. Take in the breathtaking sunsets, make new friends, and create lasting memories that will stay with you long after you disembark.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Make friends with the crew that attends to your room - they can make your life on the boat better with suggestions for things to do and also you can get to know what their life is like in their respective country or area that they lived or grew up in.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Number 4 piece of advice:  Back to luggage—most lines offer a service to pick your luggage up at your home (usually a week or 2 before the cruise) and then at the end of the cruise, they’ll pick it up and return it to your home a week later.  Really helpful because hauling luggage around the airports and port terminals is a big pain.  Sometimes pretty expensive so you have weigh it out for yourself.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Number 3 piece of advice:  Drink packages have increased in prices as more and more people sign up for them.  Unless you are a heavy drinker and/or want to spend your vacation wasted, they aren’t worthwhile.  You will feel tempted to “get your money’s worth” and drink more than you normally would.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP