Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Want to set sail this summer? Share some of your best tips for making cruise travel easy and fun, and how AARP Rewards can help you travel, for a chance to win!

The contest runs from July 10 through Aug. 6, 2023. We will choose three (3) winners to receive a $500 Carnival Cruise Gift Card! 

To enter, reply to this post before August 6, 2023, with your tips for cruising and how you use AARP Rewards to help you travel.  

Official Rules for the contest are posted here -   AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Example for a Post Entry:

When my family and I travel on cruises we always arrive at port at least one day earlier so we don’t have to rush the morning of and can explore the area. Last year we used AARP Rewards to purchase a discounted Hotels.com gift card to save on our hotel stay in Port Canaveral, Florida the day before our cruise.

AARPTeri
Contributor

My husband and I are both newly retired and now have the time to travel and widen our horizons. It would be wonderful to go on a cruise and enjoy our time together. I have heard that cruising is the best way to travel and we are ready to get on with our traveling plans. I love the comments of do's and don'ts to cruising. I will definitely take the advise and use it make traveling to the max. This would be our first cruise!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

When we cruise, we drive to the port city the day before the cruise starts. That alleviates so much posible stress from traffic, car issues, or over sleeping. AARP rewards give us savings on hotels and restaurants in the port city. The discounts on Carnival gift cards help me save money on cruise fares and on board accounts. 

My best advice, if you are cruising on Carnival: watch that step-up into the bathroom. 

Periodic Contributor

...and step-down out of the bathroom, presumably.  Thanks, Shelley!

0 Kudos

Never ever been on a cruise! I will be 60yrs young in October and just starting to get my feet wet with this travelling thing. How amazing it would be to win a cruise for my birthday. I'm just saying

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband and I really enjoy cruising and have a few suggestions. 

1. Arrive the day before your cruise sets sail. It'll give you a buffer in case there is a delay getting to the departure port. 
  2. Your cabin walls are magnetic so bring magnets to pin your schedule, excursion tickets, etc to help organize your day. 
  3. Bring a lanyard with an ID holder to tote your cruise card around on. The last cruise we went on, they wouldn't allow holes punched into the cards. 
  4. Bring some clothespins so you can hang your bathing suit (or other things you may handwash) in your bathroom.  Many cruise lines have clotheslines in the shower.
  5. Bring one of those waterproof clear bags on a lanyard for your phone and valuables.  You can even take underwater pictures using that if you go snorkeling!
  6. Ladies, remember the saying: "Cruise Hair, Don't Care!".  That wind will mess up your styled hair every time! 
  7. And most of all people, Have Fun!!
Contributor

I never  been on  a cruise before, but  would  love to take  on  with my  sister, she  just  turned  70 this July pass  and I will turn 68 in August. We will use all that  AARP HAVE TO OFFER .I think she needs  something  like  this once in  her life.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use carnival gift cards from AARP to save money. Big tip-- don't over pack!!

Info Seeker

The best way to book cruises is to stay flexible on dates. Book far in advance so you can make payments. Take advantage of booking through AARP and getting the gift cards when sailing with Carnival. Always sign up with the cruise line’s loyalty also. We fly in a day ahead. We look into flying through different airports. We have one that’s an hour away but if we are saving $300 it’s worth the drive.  Always bring medication information listed in your phone or wallet. Bring 2 forms of idea.Always always pay attention to ship time!! 

0 Kudos

Cruising with family gives you memories of a lifetime. We use our benefits of AARP for hotels, and at restaurants. Would love the opportunity to take a cruise and use our benefits while doing so.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am new to cruising but, I have fallen in love with it. Remember you are vacation, have fun with your people. AARP gift were something new that I found and it is an amazing deal, not to mention you can use AARP for all the travel needs, hotels, cars etc and even just good ole fashion tips for a better trip #aarpcruisecontest2023

0 Kudos

We are eager to be cruisers! Have not cruised before and this would be our great opportunity. We love to travel and a cruise would be a great next adventure for us. Looking forward to seeing and meeting new folks!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Leave your devices at home! Bring a camera not connected to a phone! Enjoy your people or meet new folks!!! Buy the cruise life gift cards from AARP to save money and do your research into what cruise line, ship & itinerary are the best for you!

0 Kudos

I like this idea.  You’re going on such a lively cruise, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Went on first cruise this year. Absolutely loved it. Take your passport even if they say you just need a drivers license. The passport line is way shorter. Select a cabin midship if prone to seasickness. I did not need my medication. Select your food wisely and serve less. You will want to be able to try everything. 

0 Kudos

It’s been a while once cruise. I would love  to win a cruise. There is no way I could win something this nice, I am just not that lucky. I am entering anyway.

0 Kudos

We always fly in the day before and go as early as we can and walk around the ship and have lunch.

0 Kudos

I've been on over 25 cruises and a couple big tips - be sure to pick a good location for your cabin if you have any mobility/walking issues as well as those with possible motion issues.   You want to pay the extra amount to be located mid -ship for proximity to everything onboard and lower in the ship & mid-ship has the least amount of motion.   At the back of the ship, there can be vibration so middle of the ship is the smoothest ride at night.   Buy the cruise life gift cards from AARP to save money and do your research into what cruise line, ship & itinerary are the best for you! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Pack less, pack less, pack less but have 2 pairs of comfortable shoes.

When we cruise, we fly out a day or so before to make sure that our flights won’t cause us to miss our cruise. Flights have been known to be delayed or even canceled.

Regular Contributor

We love to cruise! Over the years we have learned to try to arrive at the departing port the day before to make sure you (and your luggage) arrive in time for your sailing. Check to make sure your passport won't be out of date - many destinations require visas that are dependent on your passport being good for at least another six months after your visit. Make your dining and excursion reservations prior to your trip - we have often snagged great dining room seats for the evening we set sail with wonderful views of the sun setting over the port. Try to bring luggage that is brightly colored so it is easy to pick out - avoid black if at all possible. If not available at least tie a scarf or ribbon or some other easily recognizable tag or feature to make it easy to identify. Last most lines have a daily newsletter listing activities for the day. Take a picture as it often provides the date and destination which makes it a great divider and all your photographs that follow easier to sort. Bon voyage! 

Make sure you make a list of all the items you need on your trip. Carry sanitized wipes and masks for your own safety. Make sure you check for passports and ID. Make all your reservations and excursions trips ahead of time. Care plenty of water and blankets if you are traveling by car. And always check in with a relative as to where you are.

0 Kudos

I have not been on a cruise but with any scheduled traveling I would make sure to have everything packed and ready to go two days prior.  If you are needing to travel to the point of entry you should definitely be in the city limits no later than the day prior so that you are not tired upon boarding the cruise liner.  Two months prior make sure that you have your passports and that they are current.  Getting updated passports is taking two-four months. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I plan way ahead to make sure I have transportation to and from the port. 

0 Kudos

I've never been on a cruise so not really sure what the best tips could be. But having heard from friends that have "cruised" before, the best tips are purchase AARP cruise line gift cards, make sure you pack your important documents where you have access to them and make sure there are copies with someone not cruising with you in case they get lost.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take your bottle of wine per person and 12 cans of soda per person to save money on board.  I also use my Carnival Gift cards purchased with a discount through AARP to pay for the cruise and on board purchases.   Also pack in your AARP cubes to easily find items onboard.  Don't forget a small fan to circulate air and drown out sounds along with a multi option extension cord that does not have a circuit breaker. (for some reason not allowed) and PARTEEEE~

Contributor

Bring super strong magnetic hooks for the cabin.  Keep meds, important documents in your carry on. Buy trip insurance,. Verify if a visa is necessary. Buy AARP chruie line gift cards to save $$$s! 

0 Kudos

Pack magnetic hooks for extra hanging space…ships walls and doors are metal.

Pack a fun metallic sign or magnet for your cabin door to easily identify your cabin

Pack extra wire hangers for more closet space… never enough.

Periodic Contributor

These are really good tips.  Thanks, AK!

0 Kudos

to enjoy cruise, be organize, every night is a program in paper or electronic in your phone to see all activities next day, include the menu for lunch and dinner, all event all day you can select what you want, also in Carnival cruises you can take 2 bottle of wine 750ml, for cabin, not inside the luggage, take in your back pack , not problem a all, go to Cucina del Capitano in lunch time, dinner is for a charge, also for Asian jiji's, is the same way, and if you buy spa for day, try to go after dinner, i'm always go after dinner a 6, , so 7;30 to 10 the spa is only for you, nobody in there, so enjoy that 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Cruising on a ship in the Ocean is always a danger of running into rough waves or a bad storm. Sea sickness is only one of many problems. Passengers with any handicaps/disabilities must be extra careful when the boat is rolling side to side. Anyone with a medical condition (Diabetes=Insulin) must bring enough medicines to last longer than the trip in case of engine failure or fires, etc. Leave nothing to chance and a nice vacation will be had.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP