Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

Please make notifications stop going to my email I tried to go to settings but it won’t work!

0 Kudos
Contributor

For last 10 years or so I have been completing on line survey for a dozen organizations(Toluna,You Gov,Junky Surveys,My Points,One Opinion,Ipsos,ERewards ETC)I acumulate points for answering questions.I then earn cash rewards,resturant gift cards,other gift cards,political surveys,product surveys.These keep me sharp on a daily basis and avoid old age problems.I also get to eat at restuarantsI like and keeps me young.Joseph

0 Kudos
Contributor

My parents spoke broken French [patois] with each other but never taught us to speak it.  This started my fascination with French.  Several decades ago, I spent two weeks in Paris and today, in my 70's, I study French at least 2 hours per day, to keep my brain active and to stay engaged.

Pamela

0 Kudos
Contributor

I retired in June and now spend more time volunteering as an EMT at my local fire department. I spend 12 to 24 hours a week there. There is constant training, and I love interacting with my patients, especially the elderly, and learning from them. It not only keeps my brain active, but keeps the gratitude coming.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband and I watch less TV. During Covid we were sitting and watching too much.  We do Wordle, Phoodle and Crosswords instead.

0 Kudos

I read the Bible daily. And a Bible text for everyday to help me be a better person. I pray daily. I read the AARP emails to increase my knowledge. I weed and mow the yard. I read Dr MERCOLA and Dr Beckers columns for your health and my furry baby. If Ed my dog organic food I make. I do his grooming and nail’s myself. I do  crosswords and puzzles word games. I hand write letters, no computer. I add and subtract and do all math in my head. I play discover item games and spelling games and trivia, scrabble, hand and foot …I just stay busy and I read read read , especially cardiology updates.

0 Kudos

I play golf. It is a game of concentration. My mind must plan what is the best shot in each instance and which club is the best to use. It also gets me outdoors in the sunshine and I have a great group of friends to interact with.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I do several things to keep my brain active & engaged. I exercise, eat healthy foods, try to sleep 7-8 hours per night, drink at least a half gallon of water per day, practice a second language through Duolingo, solve word & logic puzzles, play cards, socialize with friends, travel to new places, and read articles on topics that are unfamiliar to me (like quantum physics) so I have to actually work at understanding them. I also am in the process of signing up for an online class to--finally!-- learn how to better use Excel. I also participate in qi gong class & use breathing exercises to control stress. I'm a big believer that stress is detrimental to our brain function!

I subscribe to the NYTIMES online so I can stay up to date on national and world news. I also do the Mini Crossword and Wordle games daily.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

When I retired I decided to go back to school and get a bachelor's degree.  Got it in Natural Health and graduated with High Honors.  Love it so much I went on for my Master's Degree in Herbology.  Thesis accepted on first submission, so I went on for a PhD.  At age 78 I earned my PhD in Natural Medicine.  Started writing the health column for a local newspaper, and when they reformatted the paper I wrote a weekly article for an online ezine (sometimes on health or herbs and sometimes on humor (they all start with the letter 'h' so they must be related, right?).  Publisher died and ezine went with her.  Up in the air for a while and now look for questions on which to write articles in the local newspaper.  Love to write. Also, every morning I do the Jumbles in the local paper after I come back from my walk.  Work in my garden which is next to my chicken coop.  So many fun and interesting things to do when we get older and no longer work.  Older?  On July 31st I celebrated my 83 birthday!!

0 Kudos

I have been retired for 9 years.  I have a few disabilities that make it difficult to do much exercising.  To keep my mind active I play several video games, logic problems, word puzzles and watch game shows on TV.  I also play some of the "brain" games on AARP.  I am afraid of losing memory or thought process, so I try to keep my mind as active as possible!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker +

The way that I keep myself actively well is by listening to old school music, watching comedies, reading the Bible to keep me spiritually balanced. I work part-time to keep myself culturally involved and weekly exercises for mobility.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I READ LOTS of non-fiction, historical fiction, ethnic fiction, & classics. I also watch documentaries. When I have the money, I travel.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since I have a very nonverbal brain, I love to take free math classes on Khan Academy.  I have the app on my iPad, and I am very challenged and engaged with the different math problems.  Right now I am working on Algebra and Geometry. 

I walk at least 5 miles a day to keep my body and brain in shape.  I also teach students from kindergarten to 12th grade as an EC Homebound Teacher.  Being around young people keeps my brain active. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Trying to figure out how to stop following this post

Contributor

Open one of the posts to take you to this page.  Then, just above the red and white A circle at the top left is a heading called: topic options.  Click; scroll down to unsubscribe, and Hope that works.  I'm trying it now.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

It is very important to me to keep my brain active, especially since I retired. I love taking online classes.  I just finished a Spanish course and am soon beginning an Anatomy and Physiology course, even though it was the hardest close I took when I was in college!  The games on AARP are loads of fun, as are the challenges of quizzes and video activities that enable us to earn points.  My sisters and I enjoy doing trivia challenges, such as listing all the states and their capitals.  This summer my sister and I created learning activities for my 6-year-old niece to keep her skills sharp during summer break.  Another way I keep my brain active is by reading a variety of books and discussing them in book club.  I look forward to reading what others are doing so that I can incorporate even more brain-building enjoyment.

Contributor

I see that I definitely more brain activity because I typed the word “close” instead of the word “class” that I meant to type.  Oh dear.

Contributor

The way I keep my brain active is that when I get up every morning I take my vitamins, I eat a heart healthy breakfast, go for a walk with my dog or a 15-30 exercise . I do fun time  by playing video games with my 10 year old grandson, watch a movie or TV, and I also help him study for a lesson or with his homework. I do leisure time where I like to go window shopping and just take in the scenery , I'm more of a visual kind of person. I enjoy conversating with the sales associate about different things in there store help keeps me knowledgeable. To help stimulate my brain with some enjoyment a new excitement I go on vacation with family and friends where I travel the world to different countries I fly and take cruises. I try to keep my brain active by staying engaged by living my life to the fullest.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I love the AARP site it has so much information that I read and find very interesting on what I can learn about. I play games and I love doing the quizzes on the site keeps me entertained. I visit AARP site 2-4 times a day for information and quizzes.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I watch videos and do quizzes on the AARP rewards every single day and travel experience a lot of  different places planning To stay young

0 Kudos
Contributor

Keeping my brain active is really important to me. I do the NYTimes Crossword and other puzzles every morning. I do 3 different crosswords on the AARP puzzle site every day. I also am learning Spanish on Duolingo, because I know that learning a new language is a real brain exercise! I have two standing lunch dates every week to keep me socially active, too.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain actively engaged, I do all of the following:  Eat well, most of time, incorporating colorful fruit and veggies high in antioxidants, limit meat consumption and aim for mostly plan-based food.  I'm a voracious reader.  I'm an active pilates/reformer participant.  My bright and sunny home/work environment helps bring energy and beauty to my brain.  I choose to feed my brain with everything that stimulates and is positive and productive from movies to music.  I believe in the power of a spiritual life.  Sleep, for me, is a priority and necessary competent to my brain function, and daily interaction with all that AARP offers for the aging  and partakes assist in the health of the brain and subscribe to as much as I can from video presentations, dance, cooking demonstrations and just reading the wealth of life supporting information.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I read AARP articles as well as others. Take your quizzes & watch the videos.I watch educational TV or programs that make me think.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I read and play AARP games every day (about to do that now).  Social interaction a couple of times per week is good, too.  Finally, the care for and company of pets helps.  Moderate exercise (stairs, walks, chores) makes a difference.  So does a cheerful outlook and even temperament.  As Spock on Star Trek was fond of proclaiming, "Live long and prosper."

Contributor

I walk for at least 1 hour a day and use Will Shortz's Sudoku, Jumbo Easy Crosswords,

Variety Puzzles Book 3, and Variety Brain Game Puzzles volume 1.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I ran and was elected to my HOA Board of Directors.  This keeps me engaged with my neighbors and  active attending committee meetings.  I also find my brain stimulated by researching and learning Federal, State and Local laws and covenants as well as vetting and verifying contractors and businesses.  You get a chance to practice your math skills with Finance issues and Language skills with writing proposals and preparing speeches and presentations.  It also offers a sense of meaning, accomplishment and self actualization in life.  M. Coyle

0 Kudos
Contributor

Wow. My mind is abuzz at 80! I read and watch documentaries, attend Osher Lifelong Learning classes. I exercise and am a member of the Ten Toes Walking group. I travel with Road Scholar. I play word games and do crossword puzzles. I watch many zoom lectures through the local university and One Day University. I do some occasional online work scoring essays for Pearson Education.  I’m in between volunteer gigs since I’ve moved but look forward to finding new opportunities. I attend the symphony the opera and the theater. I have many far flung friends that I keep up with. I do yoga and walk my grand dogs. I keep my body as active as my mind. Thoroughly enjoying myself!

Contributor

I volunteer my time as a robotics team mentor and helping folks to get involved and vote.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP