Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Contributor

Keeping my brain active is really important to me. I do the NYTimes Crossword and other puzzles every morning. I do 3 different crosswords on the AARP puzzle site every day. I also am learning Spanish on Duolingo, because I know that learning a new language is a real brain exercise! I have two standing lunch dates every week to keep me socially active, too.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain actively engaged, I do all of the following:  Eat well, most of time, incorporating colorful fruit and veggies high in antioxidants, limit meat consumption and aim for mostly plan-based food.  I'm a voracious reader.  I'm an active pilates/reformer participant.  My bright and sunny home/work environment helps bring energy and beauty to my brain.  I choose to feed my brain with everything that stimulates and is positive and productive from movies to music.  I believe in the power of a spiritual life.  Sleep, for me, is a priority and necessary competent to my brain function, and daily interaction with all that AARP offers for the aging  and partakes assist in the health of the brain and subscribe to as much as I can from video presentations, dance, cooking demonstrations and just reading the wealth of life supporting information.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I read AARP articles as well as others. Take your quizzes & watch the videos.I watch educational TV or programs that make me think.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I read and play AARP games every day (about to do that now).  Social interaction a couple of times per week is good, too.  Finally, the care for and company of pets helps.  Moderate exercise (stairs, walks, chores) makes a difference.  So does a cheerful outlook and even temperament.  As Spock on Star Trek was fond of proclaiming, "Live long and prosper."

Contributor

I walk for at least 1 hour a day and use Will Shortz's Sudoku, Jumbo Easy Crosswords,

Variety Puzzles Book 3, and Variety Brain Game Puzzles volume 1.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I ran and was elected to my HOA Board of Directors.  This keeps me engaged with my neighbors and  active attending committee meetings.  I also find my brain stimulated by researching and learning Federal, State and Local laws and covenants as well as vetting and verifying contractors and businesses.  You get a chance to practice your math skills with Finance issues and Language skills with writing proposals and preparing speeches and presentations.  It also offers a sense of meaning, accomplishment and self actualization in life.  M. Coyle

0 Kudos
Contributor

Wow. My mind is abuzz at 80! I read and watch documentaries, attend Osher Lifelong Learning classes. I exercise and am a member of the Ten Toes Walking group. I travel with Road Scholar. I play word games and do crossword puzzles. I watch many zoom lectures through the local university and One Day University. I do some occasional online work scoring essays for Pearson Education.  I’m in between volunteer gigs since I’ve moved but look forward to finding new opportunities. I attend the symphony the opera and the theater. I have many far flung friends that I keep up with. I do yoga and walk my grand dogs. I keep my body as active as my mind. Thoroughly enjoying myself!

Contributor

I volunteer my time as a robotics team mentor and helping folks to get involved and vote.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 69 years, after 2 strokes, I keep busy by watching Jeopardy every day. I subscribe to Brain and Life magazine and listen to Brain and Life podcast once a week. The games I play on line include Lumosity for speed, attention, flexibility, memory and problem solving every day.  Other games include solitaire, mahjong, trivia puzzles and games from AARP.

0 Kudos

To keep my brain stimulated at age 63, I play word games, create crafts of all kinds, mow my own yard, volunteer at my church and am the Director of our Women's Mission Unit. I also help a friend at his scrapyard by performing office duties weekly. I love to stay busy and spread The Word of Jesus! Smiles go a very long way in making someone's day!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I read books, play online games with AARP, I try to learn something new and challenging, something out of my comfort zone

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I keep my brain active in many ways.  First I volunteer with the USO at Hobby Airport 4 times a month and participate in training new volunteers.  Second, I love to do puzzles such as jigsaw, sudoku, word and trivia on a daily basis. Third, I take part in activities in my community several days each week.  And last, I do a lot of reading and crochet which the majority gets donated to charity.  Keeping busy is important.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain engaged, I enjoy all types of puzzles, trivia, various ways to play Bingo and Jeopardy, and Scrabble - what a way to learn about different things that you have not actually experienced.

I have also enrolled in a university program of study for the past three (3) years and I volunteer for several non-profit organizations in the area/community which render services to the entire community.   

Last, but certainly not least, I have explored, registered in the local college, and am still learning Spanish by practicing with co-workers, students, and families in the education arena. 

I am thrilled to continue the learning process to keep my brain engaged.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have learned to play a few old time folk instruments such as the mountain & hammered dulcimers and the bowed psaltery.  The hammered dulcimer group meets weekly and practices for performances at nursing homes, community events and festivals.  Learning new music is challenging and fun at the same time.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been engaged three times, but was never able to "seal the deal". Newly retired, I peruse the AARP Relationship videos and quizzes to keep my brain as sharp as a tack. Maybe I'll stick to dating.

0 Kudos

Games, online and in-person, are you favorite activities for keeping my mind sharp. I am also learning Italian.

0 Kudos

I love to play online word games. Wordle, Quordle, Spelling Bee,and word connect are my favorites. I also enjoy playing all types of games with my family.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do play games online. I like the match 3 games, solitaire, mahjong, and all different kinds of card games. I'm a cashier at Menards and that really keeps my mind sharp. I'm a loner and my job forces me to interact with people which is very much needed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Our local Senior Center has an entire page in the N/L each month with puzzles.  Occasionally there is a contest with an entire booklet of puzzles & brain teasers.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain active & engaged I do sudoku,  wordle, and other games. I also read and teach Science, Technology, Engineering & Math concepts to K-5th grade students. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take group exercise classes.  I play some games.  I volunteer at a soup kitchen. I have a social calendar.  I have a loving family.  Planning some travel.  Do some reading.

0 Kudos

@cjr 261                   To keep my brain active is an ongoing daily task that includes weekly lawn care and gardening as my exercise. Stress relief from listening to my AARP videos  Word games such as Word Search  the daily WORDL USA Today puzzle page and also Word Jumbo calendar.  But best of all is when I can not only learn but earn my AARP points for future rewards A complete workout that is fun and healthy 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love working my puzzles in the morning, in particular soduko, word jumble sometimes a cryptogram. I go to the local Y for exercize classes and a swim 4 mornings a week. I love looking through my grocery shopping apps and compiling my weekly deals which is a good brain exercise! It is also a benefit to my wallet. When I am able I do some of the things I mentioned in the fresh air and sunshine. I also garden which clears my mind.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I consistently read the news and any information pertinent to political or the economic growth of the world. I make it a point to stay informed at all times of different things that are happening in my community or neighboring communities and/or the world

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I faithfully play  brain games every morning (after meditation) before anything.  The daily meditation also helps me focus.  I walk for 15 minutes after lunch and again after dinner and have weekly movement classes - TaiChi, Pilates, Moving For Life.  A small group of friends and I go for nature walks, usually where there's water, every Sunday.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

PS I also swim 20 laps weekly.

0 Kudos

I trade stocks almost every day which means I must read about the company, understand the financial condition of the company , and read what other analysts say about the company. I am disappointed when the weekend gets here and the markets are closed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love doing word search puzzles and playing hidden object games. I go walking and like to do yoga classes online. 

0 Kudos

I do water aerobics and yoga.  I belong to a book club and I am an avid reader.

0 Kudos

I complete a daily crossword puzzle & play mind games ( Mahjong, Wordmania, etc.) daily. I also go to the health club regularly & join a native American flute circle monthly to stay connected with others.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP