The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 11 of 135 (1,580 Views)
I'm sure glad you wrote what I was thinking about writing. It will save me from having to write something. Thanks. Maureen
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 135 (1,511 Views)

I feel the same!! I too am 78, and altho I am wheelchair bound, I still try to contribute to my family, and my community. I support all pet sanctuaries that I can, enjoy knowing God's beautiful creatures have a little better life because of me. My "girls", two beautiful little French Poodles, wait for me across the Rainbow Bridge, and I look forward to holding them in my arms again someday. My family is kind, supportive, and loving, who could ask for more? I never married but I have raised several children who think of me as "Mom", and I think of them as my own. Whenever I make that final journey, I will be ready. I have lived the best life I could, believed in God, and treated others as I wished to be treated every day of my life. I have loved, and been loved, cared for, and been cared for, always strived to be fair, honest, and keep my integrity above all else. Few will miss me, as so many have gone before me, but what a wonderful day it will be to see my parents, my siblngs, my children, my friends, and my girls once again.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 135 (1,637 Views)

I believe you can live long as you want as long as you can control how much rest that you can have.

When you have loss that control people will drawn you to worthless matters. Claiming it is a matter life of death went it is not. Stay away from people that can not respect your privacy.

You may have to choice your association carefully.

You also need to choice your carefully that demand too much overtime.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 135 (1,748 Views)

I would like to enjoy living and contributing to life on Earth as long as I am not in continual or debilitating pain, I am mobile, and particularly as long as my mind and eyes function well.  For me, that is not a number, rather, I aspire to an easy passing when the time comes to the Great Spirit, Allah,  and by any other name or verballization, God. 

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 135 (1,706 Views)

AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

I want to live to a healthy 100plus .  I believe positive expectations matter.  Also important is taking charge and LEADING your life, controlling what is within your control - how you eat, exercise, and continue to learn.  I focus on extending youth rather than extending old age.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 135 (1,620 Views)
I agree totally with this rational and ethical statement. At 78 I'm still teaching college courses, writing articles and functioning physically (not as well, I'll admit) with all medical tests on the healthy side. When I can't function anymore, I plan to join my loyal canine companions on the rainbow bridge. If they're not there, of course, I'm not going. I'll haunt classrooms in search of an inspiring lecture, at lease until my wife decides to join me.
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 135 (1,847 Views)
I'm shooting for a minimum of 120 and in good health, not in a nursing home.
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 135 (1,688 Views)

I could not agree more! Age is just a number, not a milestone. I am doing my best to exercise regularly, foster social relationships and continue learning. Hopefully this will help in my continued physical and mental fitness!

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 135 (1,625 Views)

Roy,

Sorry to hear about your spinal stenosis. Did anyone give you Krause excercises? (If not please google them) Unfortunately there is no cure for your problem. Weight control and gentle stretching helps a good deal. (Never arching or twisting) So glad to hear you are active. That is the best medicine.

I have not heard or read valid  reports yet on Laser surgery for stenosis at your age. I hope to hear more. Best wishes. 

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 135 (1,956 Views)

As for me it's not the quantity of life about the quality of it. As long as I am relatively if physically healthy, able to be independent, able to be mobile, and have a clear mind Reasonably good cognitive abilities then I want to live.   At the point that any of the aforementioned are no longer true, then it's time for me to make the decision to stop medical intervention and allow nature to take it's natural course.