Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

I I want to live as long as the Lord has things for me to do for Him. I am leading a very full and active life right now, but this world is not my home. Whenever it is my time, I will be happy to see my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in my eternal home!

Recognized Social Butterfly

(2/24/24) An interesting topic @AARPTeri and luv the "responses"  ๐Ÿ‘  I want to live AS LONG as I am NOT A BURDEN. So whatever that age ends up being!!!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

As for me,  I am okay with dining at any time.   However,   if I am alive, I want to live a full as life as. possible.   

I want to live as long as Iโ€™m healthy, mentally and physically.

I think I like the idea of 100 as long as I can still do for myself ok. That gives me another 30 + years to look forward to.

Contributor

100 DEFINITLEY! And to beat multiple cancers with not a good diagnosis so far am getting better but at the expense of another drug and recovering from former chemo drugs nasty side effects still but getting help to eradicate or lessen the severity but still having lymphedema in three of my limbs leaving just my left arm for diabetic shots of insulin and my sensor to know where my sugars are at any given time along with alarms for lows or highs and out of range decisions made for me while I'm sleeping as well as throughout the day.

Contributor

A good number for me? 110 or 120! I have so much more life to experience. Places to see, friends to meet, grandchildren to love! I'm 59 and back in college to become a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner...I will earn my doctorate in nursing. I have 22 beautiful grandchildren and one on the way. Life is such an adventure!

Social Butterfly

@KayteS871061 First, I want to welcome you to the on-line community! Next, you are a rock star of life!  When many are slowing down, you're setting your sights on ambiguous  goals and achieving them! All the best to you.

Periodic Contributor

The big 94 is coming up Wednesday, August 11tth.  My circle has shrunk to almost nothing, partly because so many have left me, partly because of Covid.  My walking and exercise are also much much less.  About the only thing left is the trusty typewriter, well, a keyboard anyway. 

My sixth book, "Stories About the Hotel Westward Ho" came out a few weeks ago on Amazon and Kindle.  I lived there for twelve years and tell about the changes from a top-notch luxury hotel to subsidized housing.  The theme is History, Mystery and Love. 

Currently I am doing promotion, which means writing about it everyplace I can. 

A seventh book is on the way as long as my fingers will stay connected to the head.  

For my birthday present, I am getting a new bathing suit (gained a few pounds this last year!) and the first day in swim physical therapy will be on Wednesday.  It's as good a way as any to spend a birthday. 

When the Door is opened, I am ready and happy to go.  But in the meantime I'll keep the body as happy as I can and keep the keyboard oiled up.  In the long run, I'll probably be around until the big 99 with maybe two more books. See you next birthday!  Hugs to all, Mariam

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@mimar  Happy Birthday! ๐ŸŽ‰You are amazing! What a wonderful full and purposeful life you have lived.  Love your positive attitude and sense of humor.  Keep writing.

I told my children that I am living until Iโ€™m 104. 

Social Butterfly

@GiulianaD947143  Saw you were a newbie. Welcome to the on line community! Love the positive attitude.  Who knows 104 or more.  

Just want to keep traveling and participating.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@VictorD935002 Welcome to the on line community.  I think you have the right idea, having adventures and staying engaged.  You can do it!

Periodic Contributor

How old are you now?

Social Butterfly

I got married last year.  I'm nearly 58 and my husband just turned 70.  Would like to live until at least 93, so I told my husband to hang in until 105.  We both exercise, eat healthfully, keep our minds sharp playing games, sleep well and love being together.  As long as we keep moving, have adventures, challenge ourselves and stay socially connected, we've got a shot at it.  There's still so much left  to experience!

Bronze Conversationalist

So many great post topics not getting many new responses, thought I'd start reviving some threads and see what happens.

Having watched my parents quality of life deteriorate in their 70s, 80s, and 90s, I have not wanted to linger just to keep breathing. Don't worry, I don't plan to do anything but let nature take its course. But having a belief in reincarnation makes the prospect of dying early not as terrible as if I believed in living only once. I actually look forward to more chances to experience more kinds of lifetimes, and finish connections with certain people.

Anyway, I do think expectations matter. The fact that many many people hang on until certain milestones have been met -- such as seeing a great grandchild graduate college, or until a daughter gives birth, etc -- is testament to the fact that intention can make a difference in lifespan.

Bronze Conversationalist

I plan to live until God has a cloud with my name on it.  ๐Ÿ˜‡

Contributor

I'm Looking at 95yrs young. Jack La Lanne exercised daily and lived a very active life into his 90โ€™s. I wanna do the same. He is my hero. 

Good choice!  Exercising isn't always fun, but focusing on being able to do so brings a smile to the sould.  Keep moving and  NOT moody.  Moody is a self-centered emotional parasite that does no one any good.

I want to live as long as I'm in my right mind and can function independently physically and die in my sleep before I run out of funds.

Regular Contributor

I am 61 years old and have given my boss my notice that i will be quitting and retiring in 5-6 years.  I think this will give me some fun retired years ahead to enjoy my life and family and travel.  That being said, I probably want to live until the age of between  85-90.  I'm hoping that this will allow me to live long enough to see my daughter become a grandma and me a great grandma and enjoy all the fun times in between.  I love my life and I feel so lucky!

Contributor

I am 85 already and still feel like a much younger person! My family were all long survivors.  Aunt was 105 and lived in upstairs apartment with no elevator and played cards until 103 when all her friends passed.

I would like to keep living as long as I am Lucid!

I enjoy grand kids and great grand kids so much !

Bronze Conversationalist

A couple years ago, I had a follow-up visit with the electrocardiologist who helped train the doctor who provided my cardiac ablation. Later, the electrocardiologist helped place my stents and on an even later occasion, provided my pulmonary ablation.
For the stent placement, he had said in a previous visit that they had saved my life because of the extent of blockages in two of my arteries - 89 and 95 percent, respectively.

In the final visit, he mentioned on his way out that they had added 25 years to my life.

I said, "Well, if we take a couple years off my Dad's age when he died [100] and add the 25 years to it, that will be 123. That's not bad!"

I'm with most the others whose posts I've read in response to this question. I don't care how long I live, so long as I can live in good health. I want to slip away painlessly and peacefully in my sleep in the wee hours of the morning of the day on which I would have developed my first major problem.

Stay well and enjoy!

-Lynn

Periodic Contributor

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I am 84.  I have had 3 heart attacks and lung cancer.  I have COPD.  I try to walk between 2 and 5 miles a day outdoors in good weather, on treadmill in bad.  My mom died at 95.  My great grandmother at 97.  I'm aiming for 100.  But only if I am still in pretty good health, mentally and physically.

Periodic Contributor

I'll be 93 in August.  My walk this morning in my backyard, also known as  downtown Phoenix, consisted of 7,387 steps which is 3.1 miles.  This was longer than planned because I wanted to see the results of the disturbances we have been having.  I took pictures of broken glass replaced by wood in windows.  But I couldn't find any bon fire remnants or bodies laying around.  Yesterday our black woman police chief marched with the protestors. 

I'd like to stay around to see the good results that will come from this past week of protests around the country. 

And I would like to finish writing my fifth book and get it published on Amazon and Kindle.  Maybe I should stick around until I'm 95.  I'll let you know.  Mariam Cheshire

Regular Contributor

I loved your post. I, too, want to see the good that will come from this time in our history. People need to be respected, regardless of color, religious beliefs, and nationality. I will look,up your books now, young lady; Iโ€™m sure theyโ€™ll be awesome.โค๏ธ

Periodic Contributor

I've passed the 95 mark.  I'm not walking around the block any more, but do get exercise by dancing to TV music.  I'm still writing and selling books, a couple about my life, available on Amazon and Kindle.  This time, too, is a good time if we but know what to do with it.  Happy years for you!  Mariam Cheshire

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP