Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???

Message 1 of 40 (122 Views)

@db30717163  Are you still having an issue logging in?  If so we ask you first to clear your cache and cookies and try again.  If that still doesn't work please contact AARP and speak with one of our agents who will be able to assist.  The number to call is 1-866-451-6305.

AARPTeri
Info Seeker +

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???/ Extended play

Message 2 of 40 (193 Views)

I see your logic. However I do believe many members do not understand how the MaxBid works (just like me). It would be good for AARP to explain how it works in simple terms and with an example as I did previously. I am sure the bids are raised inadvertently in a large part. 

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 40 (260 Views)

The problem before was that it was purely a timing game.  Never could win an auction even if I wanted to use more points.  Bad design on updates and refresh to get proper quote.  Having different browsers shows different numbers for current bid, and submitting would get ignored, as other bids were in before.

I suggested a max bid feature in a survey..  of course never realized how high people would be bidding. Still hasn't gone down much, but should go down as people use up the points.   I used most of mine up for a $200 visa card - too many points, but now i am out of auctions for a while and the reduced points each week (half on weekly now), it will take a lot longer to get points together.  That means as people use up points, bids should continue to go down.

Info Seeker +

Message 4 of 40 (295 Views)

The problem of high bidding is the inherent flaw of the Maximum Bid which I learned by talking to an AARP supervisor. Here it goes: the current bid is 20000 points. I decide that the max I want to bid is 80000 points; the current bid becomes 20001 points; my max bid is hidden from all until someone bids higher than me; at that moment my maxbid becomes the current bid. And so on, and so on... You now see why the bidding is going so high so quickly; it becomes insane and unaffordable. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 40 (426 Views)

ts31774603 wrote:
As far as point accumulation goes, I totally agree. I've been a member for more than 20 years and I only have about 290K after having spent none. I'm supposed to be getting more points because of being a member but I don't and never have. Tried linking my accounts-didn't work. Sent message - never heard back. As far as the new style auction goes, it's a total waste of time. It used to be fun-not any more. Made people lazy and is easier to let someone else do the work. I agree the points spent on each item are so far out of line as compared to the way it used to be and it's no longer competitive. Lost interest.

@ts31774603  I think, if you are a member, the system automagically posts and awards your extra points. The points badges show the higher amount for members. I know this because one day last month, the Symptom Checker, one of the daily tasks (this thing awards 6 points a day) only gave me 3 points. The badge only showed 3 points. When I called customer service, I was told that 3 points is what non-members receive for completing that task. So all this time the badge was showing member points, see.

I do think, since this confusion happens quite a bit, that the R4G people should find a way to make that clear.

It is possible to amass a lot of points. I've been a member and have participated in R4G for only a few years, have spent perhaps 80,000 points, but still have over 751,000 of them.

FWIW and all.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 40 (516 Views)
As far as point accumulation goes, I totally agree. I've been a member for more than 20 years and I only have about 290K after having spent none. I'm supposed to be getting more points because of being a member but I don't and never have. Tried linking my accounts-didn't work. Sent message - never heard back. As far as the new style auction goes, it's a total waste of time. It used to be fun-not any more. Made people lazy and is easier to let someone else do the work. I agree the points spent on each item are so far out of line as compared to the way it used to be and it's no longer competitive. Lost interest.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 40 (683 Views)

SCAM

Info Seeker +

Message 8 of 40 (1,353 Views)

I can't figure out how so many people can accumulate so many points. The highest I've seen is 600,000+ pts which is currently on a bid. This new open auction is being played by no more than 30 or so people and even a 5 dollar gift card goes for over 100,000 pts. Hope they're having fun. Are there any honest people left out there?  This used to be fun, but has been corrupted by too many greedy dishonest people.

Message 9 of 40 (1,368 Views)

grandmachloe wrote:

I wonder if the Ohio Attorney General's office is aware of these AARP bogus auctions?

What do you think, Mike DeWine? 

@grandmachloe I think Mike DeWine is not reading these forums. Suggest you take your thoughts, comments and complaints directly to his office. Or his social media accounts, say Facebook or Twitter.

Best wishes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 10 of 40 (1,369 Views)

Cosmos2011 wrote:
Nah, you folks are missing the point. The point is inflation. I just witnessed an auction for a $50 gift card to fanatics.com go for over 2,200 points or the equivalent of $220 in AARP gift cards! Until AARP members use common sense when bidding AARP won't able to leverage sponsors for better discounts. Sponsors are watching us. It's like inflation. The devaluation of AARP discounts is inconceivable considering the amount of economic clout Baby Boomers have. Merchants should be killing each other to get at us because we have a higher net worth than any other age group. So please, show some restraint when bidding. Stop hitting the rebid button like a monkey on crack. 1,000 points in $10. Keep that in mind. Treat it like money.

Right on! What he/she said! Applause! +1 and yeah ba-bay!

Also, @Cosmos2011 thanks for making this point. Smiley Happy

It is true, and has been stated on these forums many times in many ways, that the AARP discounts have become disgustingly devalued.