Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 1 of 20 (98 Views)

My son is only 42 and has been diaginoused with shingles.  He gets it at least once a year for the last 3 years with no relief.  They say once you have had it, that the vaccine is no good....besides the fact that he is so young.  Is there anything in the works or system that can help him?  He has two young children and, of course, is still working.  He gets so miserable!  The only things my He has found that gives him so relief is to ice it.  And he has to be home to do that and it doesn’t last long.  As a mom, I would do anything to try and help him.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 20 (106 Views)

If a person has already had a case of shingles,  should they take the vaccine? 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 20 (279 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

Talk to your doc about this one -'since it is (2) doses, I have no idea of the price -

hopefully it will be listed on formularies for 2018.  

I will ill check my coverage when I get a minute ( maybe after Thanksgiving).  Seems they are preferencing Shingrix over Zostavax and are recommending people get the new one even if they have gotten the other one - maybe after 5-years or so when Zostavax seems to lose some of its power.

I recently inquired at two different part D prescription plan companies about the Shingrix vaccine and both said they were intending to take a longer look at the Shingrix vaccine study and I guess probably the associated price too before they decide whether or not they will add it to their formularies in 2018. It’s just too new of a vaccine because when I typed Shingrix into the formulary search neither company documented it, but the phone reps knew about it.

They had no problem with the Zostavax vaccine its available any time with a $46 copay.

The CDC or FDA has suggested as long as it’s been 8 weeks between the Zostavax and Shingrix vaccine it shouldn’t be a problem but to check with your own doctor about your immune system. It’s been reported that after 5 years the Zostavax vaccine is only 35 percent effective.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 20 (355 Views)

sb4053877 wrote:

I currently have post herpetic neuralgia from shingles.  

Is this new vaccine made with a live virus?  That is the reason my doctor advised AGAINST the previous vaccine.

Is this new one made with LIVE VIRUS?

No, it is NOT live - it is a non living viral particle.

There are (2) doses given a few weeks apart.

There are key differences between the way Shingrix and Zostavax are designed. The new shingles vaccine contains an adjuvant, a substance that boosts the immune system’s response. This may be what makes Shingrix both more effective and longer-lasting, says Schaffner at Vanderbilt.

Unlike Shingrix, Zostavax contains live—although weakened—herpes zoster virus, so those with significantly weakened immune systems should not receive it. But because the new shingles vaccine contains a nonliving viral particle, it may ultimately be deemed appropriate for those with compromised immunity.

Consumer Reports,11/01/2017'-'New Shingles Vaccine FAQ

This was just the 1st reference which I found - there are many more -'some scientific, others for the layperson.

Talk to your doc about this one -'since it is (2) doses, I have no idea of the price -

hopefully it will be listed on formularies for 2018.  

I will ill check my coverage when I get a minute ( maybe after Thanksgiving).  Seems they are preferencing Shingrix over Zostavax and are recommending people get the new one even if they have gotten the other one - maybe after 5-years or so when Zostavax seems to lose some of its power.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 20 (361 Views)

I currently have post herpetic neuralgia from shingles.  

Is this new vaccine made with a live virus?  That is the reason my doctor advised AGAINST the previous vaccine.

Is this new one made with LIVE VIRUS?

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 20 (371 Views)

sestanton1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

It is covered by Part D - your prescription drug plan.  It is NOT covered by Medicare Part A or Part B thus your supplemental has nothing to do with it.

Find out how much your portion of the shingles shot you will have to pay if you go to a preferred pharmacy on your plan.

Make sure you tell them you want the newest one - it is better and I assume it is already on the market.  Zostavax is the old one, Shingrix is the new and better med

Are you eligible for "EXTRA HELP"?

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 20 (410 Views)

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 20 (425 Views)

Yes

Info Seeker

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine? YES!

Message 9 of 20 (659 Views)
Misdinosed at hospital had pain for 14 years. Will shot help
Info Seeker

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine? YES!

Message 10 of 20 (1,216 Views)

We baby boomers all had "shots" as a child. Immunizations are very important to babies and adults. Why would you NOT get the vaccine? Preventive medicine is very important in these times of contatagious viruses. I want to do all I can to protect myself from everything possible.