Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Recent premium increase for United Healthcare coverages

Contributor

Recent premium increase for United Healthcare coverages

I am absolutely appalled at the just announced price increases for United Healthcare coverage. The increase in RX (over 90%) announced during the last open enrollment was enough force me to make a change and now the supplemental health coverage increase (22%) is astounding. As their primary selling agent, you should anticipate my changing to another, more affordable carrier at my first opportunity and hopefully a boatload of others doing the same. Shameful, unjustified, heartless, and ridiculous. Shame on both you and United Healthcare.  

Contributor

My wife and I have been in the plan for 17 years.  Our combined rate just went up $75 per month, or 14%.  At our age, there's really nothing we can do and they know that.

0 Kudos

3 increases in 12 months. May 2024 $20, August 2024 $20, May 2025 $12.

UNC paid $22 million in ransom to hackers and it looks like we are footing the bill, I will be looking for another plan

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am in disbelief at a mid-year 12% AARP United Health Care supplemental plan monthly premium increase.  I understand that AARP does not control this premium increase.  Nevertheless, since United Healthcare is an AARP endorsed product and is the reason why I selected United Healthcare for my Medicare supplemental plan, it is imperative that AARP intervene on our behalf.  It is simply unacceptable for United Healthcare to significantly increase our premiums, and implement a significant billing change for couples in the middle of the year.  AARP I implore you to leverage our membership or terminate the United Healthcare contract and get us a new provider.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@tl68594730 wrote:

I am in disbelief at a mid-year 12% AARP United Health Care supplemental plan monthly premium increase.  I understand that AARP does not control this premium increase.  Nevertheless, since United Healthcare is an AARP endorsed product and is the reason why I selected United Healthcare for my Medicare supplemental plan, it is imperative that AARP intervene on our behalf.  It is simply unacceptable for United Healthcare to significantly increase our premiums, and implement a significant billing change for couples in the middle of the year.  AARP I implore you to leverage our membership or terminate the United Healthcare contract and get us a new provider.

I doubt if they can do that - last agreement they signed was in 2017 with each other last until 2025 and potentially thru 2030.

PressRelease 07/17/2017 - UnitedHealth Group, AARP Extend Relationship Focused on Improving Older Am... 

They have been together over 20 years according to the Press Release info.

I also believe they are the LARGEST writer of Medicare Supplemental plans.  I also think that their rates are only guaranteed for 6-months when 1st signing up.    Pass that, it is renewable as long as you pay your premiums and no false health declarations were given in the application - but they can raise premiums at any time - read your contract - explanation of benefits.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t have any need of a Medicare supplemental plan - For many beneficiaries, all that would take is to establish a Medicare annual out of pocket limit.  Cause for many, that’s all they want is some financial protection for a catastrophic accident or illness.

The other day a friend of mine signed up for a Plan G - their cost was going to be $ 203 a month for the Plan G - they started doing some figuring and decided to go with the HIGH DEDUCTIBLE Plan G - 2024 deductible is $2800 but once that is met - it is the same Plan G - premium cost for this HIGH DEDUCTIBLE Plan G was $ 47 per month.

Guess which one they picked? Yep, the HIGH DEDUCTIBLE 

Personally, I would rather pay the  $ 47 X 12  = $ 564 in premiums and the     $2800 for care IF I actually needed it than to pay $ 203 X 12 = $ 2436 regardless of if I even used it.   

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I completely agree!  In response to my post, I heard from AARP who referred me to United Healthcare. A cordial representative called. She sympathized with my concerns but said that the increases are due to rising healthcare costs and inflation. These increases are, however, way too high.

Periodic Contributor

THEY ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ARBITRARILY CHANGE THEIR FISCAL YEAR, GIVING THEM POWER TO INCREASE PREMIUMS. PERIOD. THIS IS A SCAM AND THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD GET INVOLVED. MAYBE THESE DAMNED POLITICIANS CAN DO SOMETHING BESIDES FIGHTING WITH ONE ANOTHER. SO SICK OF ALL OF THEM. THIS IS THE TYPE OF THINGS AMERICANS CARE ABOUT. BUT, POCKETS ARE LINED AND MOUTHS ARE SHUT

Info Seeker

II'm also angry about the premium hikes for United Healthcare's supplement plan -- not just the amount, but the new way my wife and I are being billed. We signed up for Plan N nearly 10 years ago. We've always received a single monthly bill. This month that changed. We now have two bills. Another difference is that the payment goes to AARP and not United Healthcare. The only reason for these changes is that they obscure the huge 10.5 percent increase in the combined premiums. I'm very disappointed in AARP. This organization was founded to lobby for the nation's elderly. It looks like AARP now is just an adjunct of the health insurance industry. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@dk7928592 wrote -

We've always received a single monthly bill. This month that changed. We now have two bills. Another difference is that the payment goes to AARP and not United Healthcare.”

WHAT ????

Think you better check those bills again.  Or come back here and give some more details.

Came back to edit and add:

See if this thread relates to your issue -it is from 2023 but it does talk about the AARP-UHC discount for family members

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Benefits-Discounts/AARP-UNITED-HEALTHCARE-MEDICARE-SUPPLEMENT/td-p/248... 

0 Kudos

Mine increased by 32% - a THIRD! - and I am only going into year 2 of coverage  I too am totally appalled by this.  I tried calling UHC yesterday and today, waiting a half hour each time with no response, and am now on hold with the agent who sold me the coverage, oh another 23 minutes - she can’t get through either. Wow!  And here I was so pleased last year making my Medicare elections and buying a G supplement through the AARP plan. I thought I was so smart…..

My has increased 20.00 per month instead the normal 4 or 5 dollars.  Has anyone else had this happen starting June!

Periodic Contributor

we are all being screwed. If I sign up for an insurance policy, and it runs Jan to December, they should not be permitted to change the fiscal to June, allowing these increases. Where are the politicians on health care, prescription drugs and insurance? They’re bought, that’s where!! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

mine has gone up$34 pe rmonth - from 172 to 206!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

is it even legal to change a negotiated and promised monthly premium in the middle of the annual policy? I have only been with AARP United Healthcare since January 1, 2024, and there is a premium iincrease?! This cannot be legal! 

Periodic Contributor

I'm glad to find this discussion and see that I'm not alone. I knew when I enrolled last December that I couldn't change, due to the underwriting requirement. I was shocked to see a mid-year hefty price increase for my UHC/AARP Medigap G plan. I expected to see an annual increase but not one when I've only been on board a few months.

Periodic Contributor

Could this be a class-action suit? Should the federal government get in on this thievery? It's so strict with when we can secure health insurance. We choose a plan based on premiums and coverages. Then, five months into the plan, they are allowed to increase premiums? Can you imagine the boat load of money they are taking in by changing the 'premium year' from fiscal Jan to December  to  June to July?! We need to stand up to this! Not fair and most likely not legal

Info Seeker

I'd like to start a new comment on this topic.  I see you posted your comments today.  Can you help direct me to how to start a new conversation re this topic?  I'm not seeing a "click here to write your new post".

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My husband and I also received notices of 2 increases that will go in effect in June and then in August of this year totaling over 17%. Last year which was our first full year on UHC it went up 4% which, with inflation, is understandable but this year’s increases hits hard. Called UHC to complain but got the standard response that it’s due to rising medical costs. Since AARP gets $$$$ for promoting UHC, can’t they lobby to maybe take in less to give their members more? Has anyone gotten any meaningful response from AARP or are we just pawns in this insurance game?

Info Seeker

I think it's a dead end trying to call AARP or UHC about this.  Do you, or does anyone, have a resource for agencies to whom I can write a letter?  I don't know where to start.  

Regular Contributor

Hi, maziemoo.  

I just cannot believe the latest premium increase in our AARP supplemental insurance!  I feel so badly for you and your husband.  I would think that AARP would at least provide a list of other insurers with their rates to choose from since they are supposed to be advocates for the elderly and retirees.  It's sickening!

Honored Social Butterfly

@maeella9 wrote:

I would think that AARP would at least provide a list of other insurers with their rates to choose from since they are supposed to be advocates for the elderly and retirees

===========================

That info is available on the Medicare.gov website 

Medicare.gov - Find a MediGAP policy that works for you

Honored Social Butterfly

@maziemoo 

Recently there have also been some rather expensive treatment that have bee added to Medicare Part B coverage.

Take a gander at this White Paper from 

RGA March 2024 - Changing Financial Risks for Medigap Insurance

Treatment and monitoring test for Alzheimer’s , new treatment for Sickle Cell and other diseases treated with gene and/or cell therapies.

Then there are cancer chemo therapies.

If these new therapies involve infusions then those are covered by Medicare Part B - the actual infusion + the infused meds. 

Those would also be covered under any Medigap plan if those beneficiaries have opted to get one - most states now allow for at least one Medigap plan to cover those UNDER age 65 on Medicare.

Some of those under age 65 pay upwards of $ 500 a month just for their Medigap plan.

From the link:  Many gene therapies are indicated for conditions for which persons under age 65 can enroll in Medicare through meeting its disability eligibility rules. These conditions include, but are not limited to, retinal dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy, dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa, and sickle cell anemia. Thus, Medigap  will be subject to some financial risk from people both over and under age 65.

That White paper is very informative - 

Since these premium increases aren’t just affecting the AARP UHC Medigap policies, perhaps it would be better to lobby for Medicare to establish a total out of pocket for beneficiaries  -  they already did it for Medicare Part D  - come next year the total out of pocket for Part D - Medicare Prescription Drug coverage will be $ 2000.  

Wait til you see what is going to happen to those premiums if it is a free standing plan.

=

Periodic Contributor

Increases in healthcare costs SHOULD NOT be considered by current policyholders in the middle of a plan year. They should be considered for next renewal, and should be fully-disclosed in the updated premiums, at that time, and not before!

Honored Social Butterfly

@maziemoo 

This is the response that UHC gave to the State of Vermont for their AARP UHC Medigap plan premium increases in the state.

Your state may have also required them to submit a reason - other than the standardization of the various MediGAp plans by the feds - most everything else is regulated by the state.

AARP UHC Medigap Rate Justification Vermont - Nov. 2023 

Periodic Contributor

Thank you @GailL1 for being an advocate for all of us who have so many complaints and questions on our medigap premiums. It would be great if we could really be heard by AARP since it’s mandatory to hold an AARP membership in order to be enrolled in AARP/UHC. Curious as to how the relationship benefits us as members.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@maziemoo 

You are very welcome.  Just trying to spread a bit of knowledge - as always people can do with it as they please. 

@maziemoo wrote 

It would be great if we could really be heard by AARP since it’s mandatory to hold an AARP membership in order to be enrolled in AARP/UHC

================================

Just for clarity - 

AARP Membership is 

ONLY required for a AARP/UHC MediGAP plan -

And that is ONLY for the 1st year when you get the policy.

Once you get the AARP/UHC MEDIGAP policy, Federal rulesd says that the insurer of any MediGAP plan can ONLY cancel the policy for (3) specific reasons: 

Medicare.gov- Learn How MediGAP works 

~. from the link ~

Once you buy a policy, you'll keep it as long as you pay your Medigap premiums. All standardized Medigap policies are automatically renewed every year, even if you have health problems. Your Medigap insurance company can only drop you if:

• You stop paying your premiums
  • You weren't truthful on the Medigap policy application
  • The insurance company goes bankrupt or goes out of business
You do not have to be a member of AARP after the year you buy the AARP/UHC Medigap policy -  
You do NOT have to be a member to buy an AARP/UHC Medicare Advantage plan.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

well, 17% is a bargain - I'd have been happy with 17% -my plan n went up 35% - thankfully i have guaranteed acceptance with my husbands union retirement benefits.  I will be paying a bit more for a plan F this time around.  Look into union benefits if anyone has retired from union work.

Contributor

This is my 2nd month with Plan G and then send me a notice that my increase in 4/25 will be 42.08%. I asked for a review and got a canned answer, asked for it to be upgraded to a supervisor and haven’t heard a word. Feel like it’s a big bait and switch. Will be shopping for sure. 

If you are dissatisfied with United Healthcare's administration or pricing for Plan G, the website at Medicare.gov (you don't have to sign in as a member) will list all of the insurance companies that offer Medigap or Advantage supplemental plans in your zipcode, and their pricing. They also list all of the drug supplement policies available in your area.

Regardless of what insurance company administrates a Medigap plan, the individual plans are all the same. United Healthcare is the company that has associated itself with the AARP brand and senior lobbying concern. They administrate the majority of Medigap plans, nationwide, while Blue Cross Blue Shield comes in a close second. There are likely, several other insurance companies that offer Medigap or Advantage plans in  your zip code. 
Prices differ mostly by state and area (county) you live within that state. Prices can vary between companies by $5-30/mo. for the same plan. 
I'm not sure why so many are surprised at and insurance company price increase. Everything increases, including healthcare.....especially healthcare. A 45% increase, though, sounds as though something is miscalculated somewhere along the way..
Again, check out the Medicare.gov site. It is full of information, including how and when you can change plans,  and has the very easy pathway to find out all the supplement plans available in your area.
Good luck.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NorCalMom wrote:

This is my 2nd month with Plan G and then send me a notice that my increase in 4/25 will be 42.08%. 

Depending on the rules in the state where you reside, you might want to consider switching MediGAP insurers (and perhaps plans) now rather than waiting until 2025. (I assume that you did mean 2025 and not April 25, 2024).

Medicare.gov - Can I change my MediGAP policy?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP