Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Recent premium increase for United Healthcare coverages

Contributor

Recent premium increase for United Healthcare coverages

I am absolutely appalled at the just announced price increases for United Healthcare coverage. The increase in RX (over 90%) announced during the last open enrollment was enough force me to make a change and now the supplemental health coverage increase (22%) is astounding. As their primary selling agent, you should anticipate my changing to another, more affordable carrier at my first opportunity and hopefully a boatload of others doing the same. Shameful, unjustified, heartless, and ridiculous. Shame on both you and United Healthcare.  

Periodic Contributor

I'm glad to find this discussion and see that I'm not alone. I knew when I enrolled last December that I couldn't change, due to the underwriting requirement. I was shocked to see a mid-year hefty price increase for my UHC/AARP Medigap G plan. I expected to see an annual increase but not one when I've only been on board a few months.

Periodic Contributor

My husband and I also received notices of 2 increases that will go in effect in June and then in August of this year totaling over 17%. Last year which was our first full year on UHC it went up 4% which, with inflation, is understandable but this year’s increases hits hard. Called UHC to complain but got the standard response that it’s due to rising medical costs. Since AARP gets $$$$ for promoting UHC, can’t they lobby to maybe take in less to give their members more? Has anyone gotten any meaningful response from AARP or are we just pawns in this insurance game?

Regular Contributor

Hi, maziemoo.  

I just cannot believe the latest premium increase in our AARP supplemental insurance!  I feel so badly for you and your husband.  I would think that AARP would at least provide a list of other insurers with their rates to choose from since they are supposed to be advocates for the elderly and retirees.  It's sickening!

Honored Social Butterfly

@maeella9 wrote:

I would think that AARP would at least provide a list of other insurers with their rates to choose from since they are supposed to be advocates for the elderly and retirees

===========================

That info is available on the Medicare.gov website 

Medicare.gov - Find a MediGAP policy that works for you

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@maziemoo 

Recently there have also been some rather expensive treatment that have bee added to Medicare Part B coverage.

Take a gander at this White Paper from 

RGA March 2024 - Changing Financial Risks for Medigap Insurance

Treatment and monitoring test for Alzheimer’s , new treatment for Sickle Cell and other diseases treated with gene and/or cell therapies.

Then there are cancer chemo therapies.

If these new therapies involve infusions then those are covered by Medicare Part B - the actual infusion + the infused meds. 

Those would also be covered under any Medigap plan if those beneficiaries have opted to get one - most states now allow for at least one Medigap plan to cover those UNDER age 65 on Medicare.

Some of those under age 65 pay upwards of $ 500 a month just for their Medigap plan.

From the link:  Many gene therapies are indicated for conditions for which persons under age 65 can enroll in Medicare through meeting its disability eligibility rules. These conditions include, but are not limited to, retinal dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy, dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa, and sickle cell anemia. Thus, Medigap  will be subject to some financial risk from people both over and under age 65.

That White paper is very informative - 

Since these premium increases aren’t just affecting the AARP UHC Medigap policies, perhaps it would be better to lobby for Medicare to establish a total out of pocket for beneficiaries  -  they already did it for Medicare Part D  - come next year the total out of pocket for Part D - Medicare Prescription Drug coverage will be $ 2000.  

Wait til you see what is going to happen to those premiums if it is a free standing plan.

=

Honored Social Butterfly

@maziemoo 

This is the response that UHC gave to the State of Vermont for their AARP UHC Medigap plan premium increases in the state.

Your state may have also required them to submit a reason - other than the standardization of the various MediGAp plans by the feds - most everything else is regulated by the state.

AARP UHC Medigap Rate Justification Vermont - Nov. 2023 

Periodic Contributor

Thank you @GailL1 for being an advocate for all of us who have so many complaints and questions on our medigap premiums. It would be great if we could really be heard by AARP since it’s mandatory to hold an AARP membership in order to be enrolled in AARP/UHC. Curious as to how the relationship benefits us as members.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@maziemoo 

You are very welcome.  Just trying to spread a bit of knowledge - as always people can do with it as they please. 

@maziemoo wrote 

It would be great if we could really be heard by AARP since it’s mandatory to hold an AARP membership in order to be enrolled in AARP/UHC

================================

Just for clarity - 

AARP Membership is 

ONLY required for a AARP/UHC MediGAP plan -

And that is ONLY for the 1st year when you get the policy.

Once you get the AARP/UHC MEDIGAP policy, Federal rulesd says that the insurer of any MediGAP plan can ONLY cancel the policy for (3) specific reasons: 

Medicare.gov- Learn How MediGAP works 

~. from the link ~

Once you buy a policy, you'll keep it as long as you pay your Medigap premiums. All standardized Medigap policies are automatically renewed every year, even if you have health problems. Your Medigap insurance company can only drop you if:

• You stop paying your premiums
  • You weren't truthful on the Medigap policy application
  • The insurance company goes bankrupt or goes out of business
You do not have to be a member of AARP after the year you buy the AARP/UHC Medigap policy -  
You do NOT have to be a member to buy an AARP/UHC Medicare Advantage plan.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

well, 17% is a bargain - I'd have been happy with 17% -my plan n went up 35% - thankfully i have guaranteed acceptance with my husbands union retirement benefits.  I will be paying a bit more for a plan F this time around.  Look into union benefits if anyone has retired from union work.

Contributor

This is my 2nd month with Plan G and then send me a notice that my increase in 4/25 will be 42.08%. I asked for a review and got a canned answer, asked for it to be upgraded to a supervisor and haven’t heard a word. Feel like it’s a big bait and switch. Will be shopping for sure. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@NorCalMom wrote:

This is my 2nd month with Plan G and then send me a notice that my increase in 4/25 will be 42.08%. 

Depending on the rules in the state where you reside, you might want to consider switching MediGAP insurers (and perhaps plans) now rather than waiting until 2025. (I assume that you did mean 2025 and not April 25, 2024).

Medicare.gov - Can I change my MediGAP policy?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Same here - I am looking into another company that may sell me a policy at issue age - so I don;t ever have to deal with this again - shame on AARP for allowing this and selling it to the seniors they are "protecting".  Looking at Physicians Mututal plan G if they will sell it to me.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

II am in total agreement with these comments.  I do not understand how an organization such as AARP who is supposed to be the voice of seniors, will allow this company to continue to advertise their health insurance as a benefit to seniors.  These rate increases are outrageous!  How are we supposed to pay for living expenses, food, medicine, gasoline, other insurances, etc. when this company continues to raise its premiums every single doggone year???? And they aren't small increases, either.  Shame on you, AARP!  I am going to have to shop around and see where I can get a cheaper supplemental that my doctors will accept! 

Honored Social Butterfly

@maeella9 wrote . . . . . 

“  I am going to have to shop around and see where I can get a cheaper supplemental that my doctors will accept! “

====================================

Your doctor does NOT have to accept  any particular MediGAP plan (Medicare Supplemental Insurance) - they only have to accept Medicare because you MediGAP plan of whatever letter ONLY picks up the share of the cost which Medicare does not cover.

MediGAP insurance is not health insurance - it makes NO decisions on  your medicare care.  MediGAP insurance is a financial protection product which covers some or all or your medical liability which Original Medicare does not cover.

Because of the product, the rating method used and who it insures - yes, your MediGAP policy will go up in premium cost sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. 

As Medicare coverage might expand in costly treatments and test - your premiums will go up - an example of this is the new Alzheimer’s treatment and required testing - all under Part B.  Or a new expensive infused chemotherapy to treat cancer - Part B.  

So the more we use Original Medicare, your MediGap premiums can go up. 

Original Medicare and a very inclusive MediGAP plan  like Plan G is the cadillac of coverage - especially since there is NO maximum out of pocket limit to Original Medicare.  

There are other MediGAP plans that aren’t as inclusive like the MediGAP Plan G HIGH DEDUCTIBLE PLAN - where premiums are much less but the beneficiary shares in some of the risk ( $ 2700 per year currently).  Just as an example - if one has a Plan G, their monthly premiums might be $ 200 a month (or MORE in certain areas) but a Plan G HIGH DEDUCTIBLE in the same area and same plan is only $ 50 a month - because you would also pay that High Deductible of $ 2700 a year IF you have used it that much.

This is one of the reasons why many Medicare Beneficiaries choose a Medicare Advantage (MA)plan over Original Medicare with a Medigap plan.  Under the MA, which is Medicare managed care, they pay low or no monthly premiums but have copays, coinsurance, networks and a maximum out of pocket because these beneficiaries feel this is a better plan for their pocketbook and health needs.

Please read up on MediGAP and know what you are buying and how premium cost will rise over time -

Medicare.gov- Medigap Basics Explained

Just want you to understand what you are buying and are getting your best value - it is sometimes hard or even impossible to add or change a medigap policy in some states without underwriting.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

IF you are interested, here is Nerdwallet's Physicians Mutual Medicare Supplement Insurance 2024 Review

Good Luck in your quest - are you going to be effected by underwriting?

0 Kudos

Physicians Mutual is one of the most expensive supplements on the market

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Luckily my husband was a lifelong union member and his union provides guaranteed acceptance to a medicare supplement - I am grateful indeed to have such a benefit and will switch during their guaranteed acceptance periods (may-june of each year.)

Periodic Contributor

already been to nerd wallet - I have done extensive research -already.  I am def switching as soon as I find the right one.  

Same here. I just today learned that my and my husband’s UHC Rx premiums increased by 92%—from $40.90 to $78.80 EACH, effective Jan 1 2024!  I do not at all remember being notified about this increase because it strikes me that a 92% increase of ANYTHING is certainly something I’d take note of.  Too, I was never notified that I had an outstanding balance until I received an e-mail to that effect just last week. This is beyond shameful—it feels criminal and I am appalled that AARP is stands behind this. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@marianne718 

In the late summer or early fall of 2023, you should have gotten a 2024 edition of your free standing UHC RX plan Explanation of Benefits - it would have covered all the 2024 changes to the plan including premium increases, new deductibles, formulary changes - these plans are only issued for 1-year at a time since changes are made each year and you are given an Open Enrollment period during Oct - Dec to change plans based on your most current needs.

2024 was the beginning of several legislative changes - You are going to be getting more from these Part D plans like monthly supply of insulin for $ 35 with no deductible, like a declining out of pocket expense that begins in 2025 - like restricting the amount of premium increases beginning in 2025 - 

If this plan does not fit you and your needs - then change to one that does in the fall of 2024.  

Are you low income?  If so, look up the income threshold in your state for the program of “EXTRA HELP” and apply for it.   SSA.gov- EXTRA HELP

I wrote this in this same thread on 03/18/2024 -  it explains many of these new benefits - so yes, if you get more, you pay more.

As a beneficiary of a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, the government has negotiated several really big cost saving changes that will go into effect in 2024, 2025 and 2026 and also a restriction of how much premiums can go up beginning in the following years.  So as a result of these changes, the insurers are doing some adjustments in their premiums for this year to get ready for this additional coverage they are going to have to bear come beginning in 2025.

Did you think that these things would just occur without cost?

KFF.ORG- 04/23/2023 - Changes to Medicare Part D in 2024 and 2025 Under the Inflation Reduction Act ...

It’s also been in the regular MSN

CNBC 11/23/2023 - Retirees face significantly higher Medicare Part D prescription drug premiums in 2...

Where your money is involved, pay attention to the government - you don’t get anything for FREE.

Contributor

My mother was enrolled in the UHC prescription plan paying $77 a month.  In the process of switching her coverage from one state to another (an increase of approximately 10%) I inadvertently enrolled her in an advantage plan.  I contacted Medicare and explained the error.  A very helpful  representative was able to switch her to traditional Medicare and retain UHC.  We discussed her prescription plan.  The rep was appalled my mother was paying a high premium ($77 per month).  We switched to Wellcare for $120 the first year she was enrolled, the second year it was free.  Same coverage as her UHC plan.  Now I'm with UHC since May 2024.  The increase effective June, 2024 was a total surprise as when I enrolled, the UHC rep never informed me of an increase beginning June 2024.  In addition the Wellcare plan is free.  I recently received an IRMMA letter increasing my Plan B premium by 28% and I am now responsible for $12.90 a month for Wellcare which isn't paid to the company, it's paid to Medicare.  My second month of retirement has produced an additional 35% decrease in my  monthly income, increases in medical coverage premiums.  Anyone ever get a 35% decrease is their monthly SSA income?  A very disappointing welcome to retirement!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MarieD844050 

IRMAA (Income Related Monthly Adjusted Amount) Part B and Part D premium surcharges are accessed on beneficiaries that make a higher income - I have long paid them as well as many other beneficiaries.  If your IRMAA premium surcharges are based on excludable life event, you can ask for a reconsideration on form SSA-44- remember it is based on the tax return (2) years back or longer if that is the only one available.

https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/lower-irmaa 

Beneficiaries should review their Part D Medicare coverage EVERY year and make sure the plan they pick covers the specific meds they are taking because not every plan covers the exact same meds - the insurers are required to cover (2) meds in most all the various med classes and ALL of them in (5) classes -

So coverage of the med is 1st - then look at the cost of the meds, the premiums and whether or not there is a deductible.  Keep in mind, you don’t have to use the Med D plan if you can get the med cheaper in some other way - but you do need the med D plan to avoid late sign up penalties.

Medicare also rates insurers by star ratings.

If you are on Original Medicare with ore without a Medicare supplemental plan (MEDIGAP) then you have to look for a standalone Med D plan - most Medicare Advantage plans today combine the (2) coverages - Medicare Medical & Prescription Drug program (MAPD)

If a beneficiary has problem picking plans for themselves - they can contact a SHIP agent in their state or go thru an Independent Medicare Insurance Broker - an agent that writes for a lot of different Medicare insurance insurers - they can compare lots of different plans and explain the coverage options.  - A captive agent only writes for one Medicare Insurance company insurer - like UHC.

Please, Please, Please beneficiaries - just understand your options and pick the best one for your needs and pocketbook - and understanding Medicare - the whole program will be a benefit to you too.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for this information and reminder. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

It is a ridiculous increase. AND since they changed the timing of their increases to June instead of year end, like other plans, you can not compare prices for the new year. This has been underhanded and sneaky.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Medicare.gov - GET MEDIGAP COST

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@lhall12 

Bet if you read through your EOC (Explanation of Coverage) you might see that they might be able to raise premium twice a year, sometimes even more.

That isn’t regulated at the Federal level.  State, maybe.

Everbody needs to understand that MediGAP policies are gonna go up, Up and UP because of what they are based upon - Medical cost of a senior group.

• Goes up in rating method
  • Goes up when Medicare coverage expands especially when the expansion involves very costly treatments, Part B meds, etc.
  • Goes up when auxiliary benefits increase in cost
  • Goes up with utilization of Medicare coverage
  • Goes up when the beneficiary is exposed to a declining premium discount

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just retired and began Medicare coverage in September 2023.  A Medicare Benefits Consultant advised me to select AARP United Healthcare as my supplemental coverage.  My initial premium was reasonable; however, after less than eight months as a plan member, I received yesterday from AARP United Healthcare a letter about an increase to my Medicare Supplement Plan G. I am appalled at the huge increase. My premium increased more than 14%, an increase of 24.28 per month.  If I want to switch Medicare supplement providers, I would have to go through underwriting.  I certainly feel trapped by this situation and am unsure what to do next.   If AARP United Healthcare keeps increasing the cost each year at such a high rate, I will soon be priced out of getting supplemental health care coverage. I am appalled that AARP, an organization that I respect, would allow United Healthcare to get away with taking advantage of seniors who are on fixed incomes.

5 years ago i went with aarp UHC because they were community based. Everything I read said thats a little higher cost monthly but because they don't  raise due to your age every year like all the other companys , in the long term they will be the most cost effective. So when I am 80 they are not charging me excessively because I am 80. With this last hike mine went from $136 to $ 153 a month for plan n and i am 70 . Thought of changing scares me because they are most likely age related or attained age. I know that I could not afford those rate increases of inflation and me getting older. .so I guess I suck it up and hope it doesn't get too crazy.

Periodic Contributor

you're lucky that's only as high as it went -0 my plan N ( I am 75) went from 172 to 226 !!!!!!!!!!!:

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP