Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Conversationalist

Chrome browser locking up in AARP forums

I typically use Chrome browser but I find it frequently locks up in the AARP forums on activities like "Reply" to a message. I switched to Microsoft Edge for visiting the AARP site. Edge seems to work better here, but there are still occasional lockups. I know these issues are difficult to diagnose, but I wanted to bring them to your attention. My PC is a fairly new, fairly powerful Dell, running Windows 10 with the latest updates. My browser extensions in Chrome and Edge are Grammarly and MalwareBytes with the option to stop "Ads/Trackers" disabled for this site. This issue seems to have started within the last few months. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help diagnose this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bronze Conversationalist

• A third-party browser Privacy or Script OR Cookie-Blocker plugins OR Extensions OR Open/SSL/Free-Malicious VPN OR Imposter Browser Plugins -- such as Ghostery, Privacy Badger, ExpressVPN, Click&Clean, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, uBlock Origin, Blur, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, Unshorten.link, NoScript, Duck-Duck-Go, Guardian and Others is preventing Javascript from running.

Click Here ----->  Tips, Tricks and Troubles... - AARP Online Community

I would suggest you try ' temporarily shutting off your Malwarebytes Browser Guard' completely while /before roaming around AARP - see if it helps.

It might be good to 'shut-off the Malwarebytes Browser Guard' and then use 'Clear Browser Data' in your Chrome or Edge, and then start your session with AARP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other considerations:

Most new PC's will come with pre-installed 'security software' - like McAfee or Norton - it is a good recommendation to properly 'un-install' these  pre-install security software if you are installing a new security software ( I'm assuming Malwarebytes is a new 'security software).

I've known McAfee has a special 'McAfee Removal Tool' that will remove all remnants of McAfee Security software; and this needs to be done as having more than one main 'anti-virus software' is problematic.

๐Ÿค”

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This site locks up like my left knee...well, either knee. When I start having problems immediately upon logging into the site...like I did today...you know something's rotten in Denmark. It's pretty pathetic when the site logs you in, then kicks you off in a matter of a few minutes...like it did to me today.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Weird things happening/issues today. See below. I only have AdBlock, turned it off, and there still seems to be an issue. The loading wheel and the matrix. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

09272023 welcome to the matrix.pnganother loading wheel.png

Conversationalist

Turning off the ad blocking feature of my extension didnโ€™t solve the problem. It was resolved when I disabled the entire extension. If that had not worked, I would have unloaded the extension and tried it that way.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hiya! Yep, did D.) All of the above, but it seems to be getting worse. Not sure why, so I just posted what I was seeing. Glad your problem seems to be remedied. Mine is fairly new, although I've felt things have been unstable for a few weeks (meaning any website using G-Chrome has been lagging, load wheel, etc...there have been two updates as well -- today it just got weird.). Just wanted to share. ๐Ÿ™‚

Community Concierge

@DirkB349973 Hi Dirk, the website is working properly and we haven't had any additional reports about it locking up. Please try following our site troubleshooting steps for your browser: https://aarp.info/2I3wo4C 

Conversationalist

When I completely disable the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension, the reply window opens as expected. I am embarrassed that I didn't try that first. Thanks to @AARPJanelleM@nctarheel, and @OneDayMatisyahu for their responses.

Community Concierge

@DirkB349973 That's wonderful news! Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it ๐Ÿ˜Š

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPJanelleM,

Please get in touch with @Underbat as they have been given more than one additional report relating to a similar issue. @Underbat has escalated the issue.

What is happening with my computer...iMac with latest OS update, Firefox as browser with latest update is as follows:

The drop down boxes are inoperable when I am in a forum. This includes the drop down box next to my name (once signed in) and the drop down box labeled menu. If I go to the MY PROFILE---MY SETTINGS---GUIDELINES line and click on one of those, then FROM ONE OF THOSE, the drop down boxes previously mentioned inoperable are again operable.

But, when I am in the forums, those drop down boxes again become inoperable....every time. This is a relatively recent event.

Community Concierge

@nctarheel Yes, we are aware of the drop down menu issue and our team is working to get it resolved as soon as possible!

Conversationalist

Thanks for the link. The webpage contains nothing I haven't already tried. If I'm the only one with Chrome issues, it is not worth worrying about it.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

• A third-party browser Privacy or Script OR Cookie-Blocker plugins OR Extensions OR Open/SSL/Free-Malicious VPN OR Imposter Browser Plugins -- such as Ghostery, Privacy Badger, ExpressVPN, Click&Clean, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, uBlock Origin, Blur, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, Unshorten.link, NoScript, Duck-Duck-Go, Guardian and Others is preventing Javascript from running.

Click Here ----->  Tips, Tricks and Troubles... - AARP Online Community

I would suggest you try ' temporarily shutting off your Malwarebytes Browser Guard' completely while /before roaming around AARP - see if it helps.

It might be good to 'shut-off the Malwarebytes Browser Guard' and then use 'Clear Browser Data' in your Chrome or Edge, and then start your session with AARP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other considerations:

Most new PC's will come with pre-installed 'security software' - like McAfee or Norton - it is a good recommendation to properly 'un-install' these  pre-install security software if you are installing a new security software ( I'm assuming Malwarebytes is a new 'security software).

I've known McAfee has a special 'McAfee Removal Tool' that will remove all remnants of McAfee Security software; and this needs to be done as having more than one main 'anti-virus software' is problematic.

๐Ÿค”

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP