The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Who will take care of me when I am old?

Message 1 of 30 (379 Views)

kimzeesmom wrote:

I've had this conversation with my kids. I am 75, already old, still possessed of my mind and can get around on my own. I know how fortunate I am. My doctor thinks I may make it to 100, and healthy. Currently, my unmarried son and I live together. He and my married daughter have diametrically opposing views on my future care if I can't "do for myself". He would keep me alive as long as possible, no matter what. He loves me. My daughter is in favor of pulling the proverbial plug. Actually, if it came to having to depend on her for my care, I would rather die. Sad thing to admit. However, since I really don't want to be kept breathing when there is no hope, I have a living will. On the rare occasions when I've been in a hospital--twice in ten years, in two different ones, they have copies. Both of my children know this. So I guess it's my son and me for the duration, since the right girl is still out there somewhere. He's already gotten me through Guillain-Barre Syndrome, picked me up when I've fallen, supported me to doctors and therapy without complaint, when I couldn't walk well. All he wants in return is yogurt, bananas, and the eternal breaded chicken cutlets. So I make it different ways for me so I don't expire of terminal boredom before my time.

I agree, your post is great.  Thanks for sharing! And congratulations on getting your paoerwork done and in place!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 2 of 30 (380 Views)

Prosecco6247 wrote:

@kimzeesmom, I truly enjoyed reading this refreshingly honest post!  You have a great sense of humor and it sounds as if your wishes have already been granted!  You've thoughtfully made good arrangements for "end of life" care and I hope they've been distributed to your doctors and other interested/involved parties.

Your son sounds like a real gem!   May you both enjoy continued health and happiness!

Well said!!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 30 (389 Views)

Thank you so much for the kind words. I've gotten kudos, but never a reply. My brother is blessed with a quirky sense of humor. He advocated telling my son to park me on the balcony in the sun and hose me off once in a while, thus keeping me out of a nursing home. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 30 (395 Views)

@kimzeesmom, I truly enjoyed reading this refreshingly honest post!  You have a great sense of humor and it sounds as if your wishes have already been granted!  You've thoughtfully made good arrangements for "end of life" care and I hope they've been distributed to your doctors and other interested/involved parties.

Your son sounds like a real gem!   May you both enjoy continued health and happiness!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 30 (403 Views)

I've had this conversation with my kids. I am 75, already old, still possessed of my mind and can get around on my own. I know how fortunate I am. My doctor thinks I may make it to 100, and healthy. Currently, my unmarried son and I live together. He and my married daughter have diametrically opposing views on my future care if I can't "do for myself". He would keep me alive as long as possible, no matter what. He loves me. My daughter is in favor of pulling the proverbial plug. Actually, if it came to having to depend on her for my care, I would rather die. Sad thing to admit. However, since I really don't want to be kept breathing when there is no hope, I have a living will. On the rare occasions when I've been in a hospital--twice in ten years, in two different ones, they have copies. Both of my children know this. So I guess it's my son and me for the duration, since the right girl is still out there somewhere. He's already gotten me through Guillain-Barre Syndrome, picked me up when I've fallen, supported me to doctors and therapy without complaint, when I couldn't walk well. All he wants in return is yogurt, bananas, and the eternal breaded chicken cutlets. So I make it different ways for me so I don't expire of terminal boredom before my time.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 6 of 30 (501 Views)
Only if I'm unable to drive. I'll be dead before then. But, should I ever become comatose or otherwise incapacitated to the point I can't move my arms & legs, I have a contingency plan to rectify that.

Message 7 of 30 (506 Views)

catwoman500 wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

I wonder how long it will take for the driverless cars to be ready : )

@nyadrn...Just heard on the news yesterday that one crashed! Cat LOL Of course at this stage, there were drivers in the car at the time. What does that say? N.

Just one?   Then I would say their record is better than cars with drivers. LOL

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 30 (510 Views)

@ASTRAEA...

ASTRAEA wrote:

you have to be mentally competent at the time you want to do it! Duh; if you're still mentally competent, you probably aren't ready to go yet.

Absolutely! If I'm still aware of what's going on, I need to make my own decisions. Party on! Cat Happy

I have an older friend who is 90. Her goal is to live to 100. Great outlook! She is still as sharp as a tack, and is one of the better drivers I know! She'll be ready to go when she is ready to go.

Message 9 of 30 (513 Views)

@catwoman500 - Smiley Happy That's the catch-22 of most of the "death with dignity" laws too. To make sure a family member doesn't "pull the plug" ahead of time to get someone's money, it doesn't matter if you have written & witnessed documents specifically saying when you want to check out .. you have to be mentally competent at the time you want to do it! Duh; if you're still mentally competent, you probably aren't ready to go yet.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 30 (520 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@g28834s - The only problem is that at the point when you can't care for yourself, you can't "wander off into the desert", unfortunately!

OMG! I was playing a game of Just Words online when this came in and I almost snorted my wine up my nose. Astraea, you are hysterical! Cat LOL

I'm thinking at that point, I wouldn't even be able to point myself in the direction of the desert!