AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Who will take care of me when I am old?

Message 1 of 18 (206 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

I wonder how long it will take for the driverless cars to be ready : )

@nyadrn...Just heard on the news yesterday that one crashed! Cat LOL Of course at this stage, there were drivers in the car at the time. What does that say? N.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 18 (236 Views)

@nyadrn - Check out the article in the April Consumer Reports .. their annual car issue. A lot of auto manufacturers & computer companies are projecting some type of autonomous cars by 2021.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,839

Message 3 of 18 (242 Views)

I wonder how long it will take for the driverless cars to be ready : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,586

Message 4 of 18 (269 Views)

SIMPLEGAL wrote:

A stranger I suppose.  A robot seems fine for fetching and keeping track of details but I think compassion and kindness is something end of life patients will desire more.

Perhaps we'll be among the fortunate not to have to need either a robot or a stranger...kindness and compassion are always desired, no matter who is charged with caring for us when we are unable to do so.

It's a troubling question for those who are older and alone...is it not?

Perhaps our recent levity was a function of our uncertainty over what the future holds...but you are right when you say kindness and compassion are what we will desire.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 18 (274 Views)

A stranger I suppose.  A robot seems fine for fetching and keeping track of details but I think compassion and kindness is something end of life patients will desire more.

BELIEVE.gif

Message 6 of 18 (283 Views)

@nyadrn wrote this:

"I had not seen this.  Creep factor number 1 that someday one in ten families will be one person and one robot.  Hair standing on end.  Yikes. As a helper. Ok. Personal care ?  So how is that gonna work. LOL"

I don't even begin to understand how this will work...I liked your response to the idea, though!  So colorful!

Message 7 of 18 (289 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@Prosecco6247 - I think that some business robots have a computer screen in addition to/instead of a humanoid head, so you could see anyone you needed to (i.e. doctor, accountant), and they could see you, while talking. I think designers realized that while robots don't need to look human, people were more comfortable interacting with them, when they did .. so expect them to look even more human in another 10 - 20 years!

As far as the article, I don't think I need or want a robot for sex, but the idea of getting a robot with AI .. that could develop more of a human personality, just by constantly interacting with you & learning your needs, wants & personality, sounds wonderful. And if usage expands from seniors to all types of families, a robot could develop interactions skills to best deal with every member of the family. But do we reach a point where the robot becomes "too human", or adopts bad habits?

Well have you seen I, Robot?  

Message 8 of 18 (290 Views)

Prosecco6247 wrote:

@ASTRAEA & @nyadrn  OMG, you guys!!!  I am absolutely loving this conversation!  I'm so independent, I think I'd want one of those!  Yes, there is a "creep factor" but it's so much fun to think about as well! 

Speaking of "creep factor" and taking care of needs, have you seen the TV documentary about life-like human robots that people are buying as "companions?"  Whoa!

http://bloombergtv.ca/2016-08-30/news/love-and-marriage-with-robots/

I had not seen this.  Creep factor number 1 that someday one in ten families will be one person and one robot.  Hair standing on end.  Yikes. As a helper. Ok. Personal care ?  So how is that gonna work. LOL

Message 9 of 18 (287 Views)

@ASTRAEA  I've said this before...it's a "brave, new world" out there!

The whole idea is both intriguing and somewhat amusing to me.  I like the idea of a robot with a computer screen...where would you put one on a robot that looks like a real human?  We're taught from a young age to look a person in the eye...a human with a computer face?  Naaahh!

One the chest area...unh-uh!  Belly...no way!  We're also taught not to stare at someone...especially their body parts!  We may have to settle for two...a human robot and his little "R2D2" type campanion who would be our "outside communicator" for appointments and such!

The idea of the robots fulfilling needs for intimate contact...I think the people who already have them may be taking their lives into their own hands.  As often as computers go on the "fritz," what do you think would happen if suddenly a companion computer applied greater pressure in an embrace...or even the unimaginable, something far more intimate?  Even worse than that, what if the lithium battery caught fire or exploded?  Not a pleasant thought!

https://youtu.be/nJc9BROjXfM

https://youtu.be/pXg33S3U_Oc

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 18 (292 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - I think that some business robots have a computer screen in addition to/instead of a humanoid head, so you could see anyone you needed to (i.e. doctor, accountant), and they could see you, while talking. I think designers realized that while robots don't need to look human, people were more comfortable interacting with them, when they did .. so expect them to look even more human in another 10 - 20 years!

As far as the article, I don't think I need or want a robot for sex, but the idea of getting a robot with AI .. that could develop more of a human personality, just by constantly interacting with you & learning your needs, wants & personality, sounds wonderful. And if usage expands from seniors to all types of families, a robot could develop interactions skills to best deal with every member of the family. But do we reach a point where the robot becomes "too human", or adopts bad habits?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!