Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ˜ฑ What is your BACKUP when you lose CELL SERVICE?

Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ˜ฑ What is your BACKUP when you lose CELL SERVICE?

We (well some of us) have ONLY a Cell Phone. Gone are the days when a Landline was around. Gosh, even the Public Telephone Booths have disappeared.

Do you have a way to make and receive calls "especially" during an emergency IF you LOSE CELL PHONE SERVICE?  ๐Ÿค”

If YES, what is it...

Thanks,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

We would luv to hear from YOU!!! Nicole  โ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ‘ตโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In my area rural Maine mountains, we still have 2 pay phones in town, great for AT hikers . And most have landlines as well as, cells that connect through wifi when towers arenโ€™t happy.  

Twice this year towers have stopped working.  

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @Frozenoem , sounds like I need to move to Maine!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @Frozenoem wrote:

In my area rural Maine mountains, we still have 2 pay phones in town, great for AT hikers . And most have landlines as well as, cells that connect through wifi when towers arenโ€™t happy.  

Twice this year towers have stopped working.  

Froze  ***]

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/3/24) @Tempest332 , @sc10 , @DirkB349973 , @cat0w and OTHER FOLKS! Have you guys heard about this LANDLINE SERVICE? ๐Ÿ“ธ  See attached screenprint from my daily Google News, thanks!  ๐Ÿ“ธ

Screenshot_20240303-112406_Google.jpg

Super Contributor

The phone in the picture is sitting right next to a router so itโ€™s probably an Internet phone. I was reading about the copper lines that used to carry our phone calls and how they are being retired. In my area, Century Link owns those lines. I think theyโ€™re trying to get everybody onto fiber, which means internet phones. I think the days of the old Bell telephones may be over. if you need a back up, you may need another cell plan. That could mean a second phone or maybe thereโ€™s some trickery you can do with Sim cards so that you would have both services in one phone. I know some of them like Mint Mobile are pretty cheap. if you are concerned about health issues, maybe you want one of those necklaces you wear where all you have to do is push the button.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/3/24) Lol @DirkB349973 , the ad said NO internet or copper wires. Anyway, yes I will look into those "necklaces" as I am on my daughter's T-mobile plan.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** DIRK @DirkB349973 wrote:

The phone in the picture is sitting right next to a router so itโ€™s probably an Internet phone. I was reading about the copper lines that used to carry our phone calls and how they are being retired. In my area, Century Link owns those lines. I think theyโ€™re trying to get everybody onto fiber, which means internet phones. I think the days of the old Bell telephones may be over. if you need a back up, you may need another cell plan. That could mean a second phone or maybe thereโ€™s some trickery you can do with Sim cards so that you would have both services in one phone. I know some of them like Mint Mobile are pretty cheap. if you are concerned about health issues, maybe you want one of those necklaces you wear where all you have to do is push the button. ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@SpringIsHereSoHappy  You keep changing your name.

My dad had something similar to that from AT&T , the box actually was a Cell Phone, then it plugged into a phone jack turning your house wiring & existing landline phones into a cell phone.  It was 19.99/month at the time at the beginning of 2021 when I had to turn it off.   You did use your "copper" house wiring if you wanted extensions but you could plug a single land line type phone directly into the box. 

I would had opted for this, but already had the VoIP installed.  The price of a basic landline with touch tone was nearing $45/month, with call limitations of  5 miles to my south, 8 miles to my east a mile to my north & 12 miles to my west, all else was toll or long distance. I lost touch with a few  over they years because of these limitations. 

@DirkB349973 are you sure that box is a router or possibly what I was speaking about above?

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/5/24) Thanks for your feedback @Tempest332   ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

@SpringIsHereSoHappy  

My dad had something similar to that from AT&T , the box actually was a Cell Phone, then it plugged into a phone jack turning your house wiring & existing landline phones into a cell phone.  It was 19.99/month at the time at the beginning of 2021 when I had to turn it it.   You did use your "copper" house wiring if you wanted extensions but you could plug a single land line type phone directly into the box. 

@DirkB349973 are you sure that box is a router or possibly what I was speaking about above? ***] 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Did you ever inquire on pricing?

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/18/24) @Tempest332 , the ad just popped up again for 2nd time on my Google News Feed. They have way too many PRICES, but attaching the 2 MAIN ones. ๐Ÿ“ธ  Screenprint Attached  ๐Ÿ“ธ

[Their ad link] 

The link above gave me an "error" message 1st and 3rd time. 2nd time was okay. Not sure why.

20240318_173729.jpg

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Did you ever inquire on pricing? ***]

Bronze Conversationalist

Quite a bit more than the deal AT&T was giving my dad, I had it turned off in December of 2020, he had it for at least 2 + years & still was $19.99/month. 

I wonder if it varies by area too. 

Yes, this is the same technology, it converts home phone (and wiring) into the  cell phone network (but you can't use a cell phone, you use your old landline phones).   It also had a battery backup within the box for power outages, but if you were using a cordless that needed base power you would need an additional battery backup. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/5/24) No @Tempest332 , the ad had all that when clicked.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Did you ever inquire on pricing? ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I had to google the company, it wanted me to fill in personal info, said it was available in my area, but not at what cost.  

Looking at that ad, I believe that is a box similar to what AT&T, I see a signal bar indicator too. 

Cost may be different in different areas. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/5/24) @Tempest332 , I have NOT seen the Ad AGAIN in my Google News feed or I would "click" AGAIN. I seem to remember they LISTED several LEVELS of service and you had to "check" for service at YOUR location.

I NO longer enter my address, phone number or email = MORE spam!

In the OLD DAYS, I would enter a FAKE address, phone number and email address.

Lol, NOW their website can tell IF info is valid.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

I had to google the company, it wanted me to fill in personal info, said it was available in my area, but not at what cost.  

Looking at that ad, I believe that is a box similar to what AT&T, I see a signal bar indicator too. 

Cost may be different in different areas. ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Called Community Phone (one word)

Not sure if they want me posting a link here, but I'll try. 

Community Phone 

If they are indeed legit, might be a good reference, per the picture there I believe that is a Cell conversion box, you would need a power backup for it to work with the power down like a true landline. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/6/24) @Tempest332 , did they "hire" you/lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

On the "serious" side, I am leaning towards @DirkB349973 "suggestion" of the MEDICAL NECKLACE... ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Called Community Phone (one word)

Not sure if they want me posting a link here, but I'll try. 

Community Phone ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

No, I'm not a shill. They are probably working with a cell carrier in the area, but since a few inquired I thought I'd do that much to look into it, I was curious myself. I was going to go with the AT&T box if I broke ties with my current carrier that's bundled with my internet with VoIP.  I don't care for mobile phones.  A phone in general is kind of a necessary evil even if you have no social ties, you have to do business on occasion.  Why don't you just hang your phone around your neck then?   What are the chances of your cell service being down & you being hurt? 

If I had to pay $30 + / month for a mobile phone like most people I doubt if I'd have one, but what I'm getting it for, & of course I go weeks without using it at all anyway.   

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/6/24) @Tempest332 , life is UNPREDICTABLE and yes T-mobile has had issues like all companies. As I age, commonsense tells me I do need a way to get help IF needed.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

No, I'm not a shill. They are probably working with a cell carrier in the area, but since a few inquired I thought I'd do that much to look into it, I was curious myself. I was going to go with the AT&T box if I broke ties with my current carrier that's bundled with my internet with VoIP.  I don't care for mobile phones.  A phone in general is kind of a necessary evil even if you have no social ties, you have to do business on occasion.  Why don't you just hang your phone around your neck then?   What are the chances of your cell service being down & you being hurt? 

If I had to pay $30 + / month for a mobile phone like most people I doubt if I'd have one, but what I'm getting it for, & of course I go weeks without using it at all anyway.   ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Gee, now how would the telemarketers & scammers call me? 

My mobile phones been off sometimes for a couple weeks, so I wouldn't get too worried, the telemarketers & scammers can call at my pseudo (VoIP) Landline.  

Cell phone is the backup for the Landline.   If it goes down for a few days I'm sure I won't miss it. 

Super Contributor

I wish I had an old-school landline. Newer iPhones have the ability to send an "emergency SOS" message using satellite. It's not as easy as a typical call, but it is an option if you are outside with a clear view of the satellites. There is a demo option available in your phone if you care to know more.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/28/24) @DirkB349973 , I have an Android - does it have this option too? Thanks  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I wish I had an old-school landline. Newer iPhones have the ability to send an "emergency SOS" message using satellite. It's not as easy as a typical call, but it is an option if you are outside with a clear view of the satellites. There is a demo option available in your phone if you care to know more. ***]

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I don't follow Android development so I googled it and found articles about various projects that were working on something similar. I didn't see anything about an Android phone that had a working satellite SOS feature.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/28/24) Thanks @DirkB349973 !!! I am hoping someone with a LANDLINE will let me know who their provider is.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I don't follow Android development so I googled it and found articles about various projects that were working on something similar. I didn't see anything about an Android phone that had a working satellite SOS feature. ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Why?  I don't think many if any companies will give you a copper landline anymore, & people tend to remove wiring in remodels now. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) I may be wrong @Tempest332 - but I "think" @DirkB349973  said HIS location has them. Anyway, I guess I will need one of those I HAVE FALLEN & CANNOT GET UP buttons ๐Ÿ™„  On the "serious" side - the times T-mobile cell service was OUT, was not long and thank g.d I didnot need an ambulance or fire truck  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Why?  I don't think many if any companies will give you a copper landline anymore, & people tend to remove wiring in remodels now. ***] 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Who is your provider in your area? 

The link below is to my provider. I live in Central Texas.

Phone Home Service | Brightspeed

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) Good question @cat0w and one I will need to ask. At the moment I am in BOTH Virginia and Florida while I SLOWLY (VERY SLOWLY) move back to Florida. Left Florida in 2015 and NEED to be "closer" to my only child, a daughter as I age. 66 this year and LUV VIRGINIA. HATE FLORIDA ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @cat0w wrote:

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Who is your provider in your area? 

The link below is to my provider. I live in Central Texas.

Phone Home Service | Brightspeed ***]

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/26/24) @cat0w   , thank you for responding. Is your landline through a LOCAL company? Mine was through the OLD Bellsouth in Florida. Looks like I need another landline ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @cat0w wrote:

I still have my landline phone. My cell phone is with Straight Talk that is now a part of Verizon.  ***]

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

My landline is through Brightspeed.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP