Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Want to set sail this summer? Share some of your best tips for making cruise travel easy and fun, and how AARP Rewards can help you travel, for a chance to win!

The contest runs from July 10 through Aug. 6, 2023. We will choose three (3) winners to receive a $500 Carnival Cruise Gift Card! 

To enter, reply to this post before August 6, 2023, with your tips for cruising and how you use AARP Rewards to help you travel.  

Official Rules for the contest are posted here -   AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2023

Example for a Post Entry:

When my family and I travel on cruises we always arrive at port at least one day earlier so we donโ€™t have to rush the morning of and can explore the area. Last year we used AARP Rewards to purchase a discounted Hotels.com gift card to save on our hotel stay in Port Canaveral, Florida the day before our cruise.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Number 2 piece of advice:  You are allowed one bottle of alcohol in your checked luggage.  It can greatly save on drink costs onboard.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Number one piece of adviceโ€”Every Cruise Ship can do laundry during the voyage.  Sometimes it might cost a little, but it allows you to pack for only half the trip saving extra baggage fees and the hassles of carrying too many bags on board

0 Kudos
Contributor

Enjoyed a Disney cruise this spring and hit the jackpot on the Bingo at the end of the cruise. Looking forward to another cruise next year. Hope we all win a free cruise.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have only cruised once years ago so don't have any tips, but am planning to cruise Alaska next year and should have tips then.  Until then I'll learn more from AARP

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Taking a Cruise is a wonderful way to experience multiple adventures in a short period of time. Especially convenient for aging seniors with limited mobility. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Would be great way to celebrate 50 years of marriage!

August 4th and have enjoyed being a long term AARP member.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Itสปs best to stay near your port the night before so you are relaxed and ready to go the next day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Donโ€™t skip out on the nightly shows. They are great!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Cruise is an adventure journey where you explore with optimism of new cultures and aesthetics of architectural designs. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Space to put things can be limited in your cabin.  Brining along magnetic hooks that can attach to the cabin walls, doors and ceilings are a wonderful way to expand what available.  Ideal to hang your toiletry page from the in the bathroom, an extra hanger for beach bags and purses, etc.  I also bring one of those cloth foldable bins that fit flat in my suitcase.  With the opening facing up it is great for additional storage or a laundry bin.  With the opening facing to the side you can put it on a shelf an use as vertical storage for folded clothes.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Upon boarding the cruise ship, we take a bit of time to walk from bow to stern to locate activities and rooms we might want to visit later.  Many ships have little libraries or other nooks passengers miss. If thereโ€™s no assigned seating at meals, we also scan the restaurantโ€™ to identify the seats weโ€™d want.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

In my experience going with a specific group of friends on a cruise makes the cruise more pleasurable. I went on anAlaskan cruise with a group of AARP card carrying bicycling seniors. In Ketchikan we rode a train to the top and rode our bibles down the mountain. We also cycled to a salmon bake. Great fun, friendship, and exercise. Patricia Fuhrman 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Check out all of the Rewards here, there are some awesome ones for members! Cruise in style!

0 Kudos

Im very happy with AARP 

0 Kudos

Use AARP guidelines, rewards and coupons

0 Kudos

Tips for Cruising:

1. Book early, plan ahead.
  2. Research cruise lines to find one that suits your preferences.
  3. Choose the right itinerary based on destinations and duration.
  4. Pack smart and light. Dont overpack.
  5. Budget for extras like specialty dining, tips  and shore excursions.

Using AARP Rewards for Travel:

1. Earn points for travel expenses like flights, hotels, and cruises.
  2. Get exclusive discounts on accommodations, transportation, and tours.
  3. Access travel insurance options for peace of mind.
  4. Enjoy member-exclusive travel deals and promotions.
  5. Use the AARP Travel Center for easy booking.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I printed out the online charges to my account the first day and recommend printing it again before you leave the ship.This was a help with staying on budget and checking charges on my account. I was charged twice for excursions.

0 Kudos

• Research Your Ports in Advance. 
  • Don't Tip Double on Alcohol. 
  • Pack With Space in Mind (and Consider Only a Carry-On) 
  • Take Yourself on a Ship Tour on Embarkation Day. 
  • Board Your Ship As Soon As You Can on Embarkation Day. 
  • Pick a Cabin That Works for Your Cruise Needs.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Use discounts available through AARP like for hotels before or after the cruise. We like to arrive the day before a departure. When on the cruise enjoy all the different foods and step outside of your comfort zone. Taking ziplock bags to stash away midnight snacks is a helpful thing we have learned. Bringing your own straws/cups help us out as well. And of course remember all your necessities such as medication, toiletries, sunscreen, clothing and comfortable shoes. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Use all of the discounts available here on the AARP website. You would be surprised the deals you can get, and the wonderful vacations you can take using them. Enjoy!

0 Kudos

We always arrive a day early to just in case there are travel problems (like snow or not enough pilots) that would delay you from making the Cruise. Another advantage of this philosophy, is that you can arrive at your ship feeling excited and rested.  Be sure to keep the necessities, like sunscreen, bathing suit, medicines, the items you might need before your bags arrive to your cabin with you. and #1 is:  Make sure your passport has NOT EXPIRED. Do this at least 6 months before your departure.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We Love Cruising!  I realized on my first cruise that this is the ONLY vaca when I actually get a VACA w/ no cooking and cleaning!!!

A few suggestions are:

โ€ฆuse the AARP travel to book flights if needed and book early for the best discounts. 

...bring extra meds along just in case you get delayed!

...Sea Sickness pills or patches are a must.  Save $ and buy BEFORE you sail!!! 

...order water bottles for your cabin.  They are very handy to drop in your bag for excursions.

...purchase gift cards (AARP has them on this website) and use these for your On Board Credits

...arrive to the port area a day in advance.  You never know about flight delays or car troubles. Use AARP website to book a hotel at a discount

โ€ฆbring your AARP card just in case you happen upon a business on your excursions that give you โ€œextrasโ€ or discounts for AARP members. 

...remember to set your embarkation (loading onto the ship) time as early as possible because earlier is always better!

โ€ฆpack a change of clothes and bathing suit in your carry on so you can hit to hot tub or pool prior to your suitcases getting delivered. 

...if you plan on washing clothes, bring your own soap and softener.  Theirs is expensive and sometimes not even available.  Or just pack enough so you don't have to.

...SUNSCREEN, tennis shoes and a big floppy hat for the excursions.

...Bring a bag that you can "Wheel" onto the ship and that you can take on shore.  I have one with a zipper on top and 2 wheels to pull and it was a God-send!!  I got so many compliments too!

โ€ฆResearch and plan 6-12 months ahead and use the AARP website for extra tips and tricks. It never hurts to be prepared for anything. 

...PLEASE bring a great attitude because some guests can be a bit crazy.  You gotta be able to laugh and go about your business.  No One likes a sour puss on a cruise!!!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I can't say that I've ever used AARP Rewards in connection with a cruise.  I usually use my other travel rewards for flights and hotels.  I do book a hotel for at least one day before and one day after the cruise, maybe more if it's a city I really like, like Barcelona.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

YES, I would love to set sail this summer! The best tip I can give to help you travel and enjoy your cruise is start planning early and take the time to find the right ship and right destination for you!  There are cruises for young adults and then there are cruises for the more sophisticated traveler, and there are cruises for medical professionals for continuing education, for rockers, singles, etc.  There really are a lot of choices. Depending on your budget you can plan your destination and how many days you would like to travel.  I suggest a short cruise to get your feet wet before you decide to take a month long cruise.  Another tip I have is researching this by visiting the AARP travel section and visiting the cruise lines website for online brochure and you can also request a brochure sent to your home.  Planning is the key to a successful cruise to keep you on budget and to make the best decisions for you!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Have not been on a cruise, but have a couple of friends who share their adventures.

Can't wait to make my first trip to enjoy all the wonderful food and the wonderful scenery.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If going to Alaska, get a balcony. Watching glaciers, wildlife, sunsets, mini-icebergs, other ships, etc is wonderful while sitting out!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Entering for the cruise:

Tips for cruising - pace yourself, enjoy what is on the cruise ship,

How I use AARP Rewards to help me travel - keep the AARP app on your phone 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Book your spa treatments before you cruise, it's less expensive.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

For those going to Alaska if you can swing a balcony it's so worth waking up and having a cup of coffee with a snow capped mountain right next to you. Quiet place to watch for whales, sheep and bears.

My husband and I always get an inside stateroom because we are hardly ever in it. We sleep, shower and change, rest of the time we are somewhere enjoying the ship accommodations. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP