Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Can’t Purchase Any Giftcards

Went To Purchase Giftcard And I keep getting an error message when In fact I have the funds plus more in my account .. I have cleaned my cookies and also switched to the browser customer support says aarp is compatible with and it’s still not working .. I see similar issues being posted which lets me know it’s a deeper issue I Hope maintenance on wenesday Fixes this !!

Community Concierge

@TracyM848275    I see you've purchased gift cards last month, and I'm not seeing a reason on your account prohibiting a purchase. Remember, AARP Reward accounts are one per person and cannot be shared. 
Please ensure you use your own credit/debit card and verify the current mailing address is up to date and matches your bank account. You can verify it or update it from your online account at http://aarp.org?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=13147346062. If you prefer, I'd be happy to check on yours. 
You can't make purchases using someone else's credit or debit card. For complete program details, please review the AARP Rewards Terms and Conditions: https://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/rewards-terms-and-conditions/ ?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=13147346062;
Let me know how I can help!  Jodee R. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is happening for myself and many people I know and has been happening for over a week. Multiple calls and no one can fix it. I have tried 4 computers multiple browsers, my phone and iPad. Everything matches and I have bought them before without issue. I am about to report this to the BBB and cancel my membership unless someone can actually fix this. Its a very widespread issue and its all over cruise forums especially. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi daviszee! I am sorry you are having an issue. I can tell you that the credit card you are using, has to have the same name and address as on the AARP account. Even if both accounts are joint, you have to sign into AARP under your side, and the card has to be one with your name on it. This is often the issue. If you would like to reach out to me in a private message I am happy to assist. You can also visit AARP.org go to rewards and view terms and conditions. -Sue J

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi.  I get the error shown below. I called in and have gone through the steps to allow intrusive ads (ironic?), confirmed no ad blockers, called into Chase after seeing several test charges and Chase confirmed the test charges are being confirmed as "good" to Google/AARP, tried AMEX/Visa/MasterCard, tried a virtual CC, and every time match the name and address at checkout to that of whatever card I'm trying at that point.  Updated my AARP to have no middle name/initial (then it adds a period on it's own, when apparently it's so important to match exactly) and have all but given up.  My cruise is in a couple days, but maybe that's the objective?  If this doesn't work I'll be requesting a refund of the membership fee, which was processed on one of the cards I've been trying without issue.

If I sound frustrated and crabby, it's because I am (as are lots of other people based on the researched I've been doing).

Capture.JPG

Periodic Contributor

They clearly dont want to fix it, there are so many people having the same issue and they clearly just don't want to fix it. I think I am going to report them to the BBB and request a refund of mine and my wife memberships as we literally bought it for the cruise giftcards. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi @JeffreyW68256, please check your most recent comment for our reply. Thanks! - Diana G.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

the reply is to wait 3-5 business days, i referred many clients to get AARP for the cruise gift cards, it's not just me having this issue. My one client waited 5 days and no resolution to this at all. You are not taking it seriously. I will never recommend AARP again. I am going to wait my 3-5 days and if no fix i will be filing complaints with the BBB and telling all of my clients to do the same and request refunds of their membership 

Esteemed Social Butterfly

(FRIDAY 5/3/24 1:50pm ET)

@JeffreyW68256 , BBB is the way to go.

Worked for me!!!  👍 

Someone from the AARP Corporate Office ALWAYS responds to us and gets the issue FIXED...  💃💃💃

Just make sure it is the ▶️*** Washington DC BBB ***◀️ where the AARP Corporate Office is located.

AARP is headquartered in Washington, 601 E St NW, United States per Google.

Reporting to YOUR LOCATION BBB is a waste of time like this site is.  🙄

*** and @AARPConsumerCare , I DO NOT need a response  ***

Good luck @JeffreyW68256 .

Nicole  👵

[*** JEFFREY @JeffreyW68256 wrote:

the reply is to wait 3-5 business days, i referred many clients to get AARP for the cruise gift cards, it's not just me having this issue. My one client waited 5 days and no resolution to this at all. You are not taking it seriously. I will never recommend AARP again. I am going to wait my 3-5 days and if no fix i will be filing complaints with the BBB and telling all of my clients to do the same and request refunds of their membership ***]

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This is really helpful.  This problem has gone on for years.  I don't want to be involved with any promotions they have:  Life Insurance, Donations, or anything else because of how they have handled this problem.  I have reported them to the BBB as well. 

(Friday 5/3/24 10:11pm ET)

@LauraR516315 , I am glad you contacted BBB.

IF you INCLUDED an email address and/or phone number - Corporate will contact you.

BBB has to process your info probably on Monday.

Not sure IF they work weekends.

They will send you confirmation that AARP has been sent your report.

Then in my case a Bruce responded in a few days. Nice guy!!!  👍

From the BBB site I see his name and others.

Good luck @LauraR516315 .

*** and @AARPConsumerCare I DO NOT need a response ***

Nicole  👵

[*** LAURA @LauraR516315 wrote:

This is really helpful.  This problem has gone on for years.  I don't want to be involved with any promotions they have:  Life Insurance, Donations, or anything else because of how they have handled this problem.  I have reported them to the BBB as well. ***]

0 Kudos

What was corporates solution? How did they fix it for you? 

(Friday 5/17/24 2:35pm ET) 

Hi @AmandaL858778 , they made sure I received my giftcards.

Take care,

Nicole  👵

[*** AMANDA @AmandaL858778 wrote:

What was corporates solution? How did they fix it for you? ***]

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

I understand your concerns, @JeffreyW68256. However, each scenario is different, and I only can provide you information about your case. If your client needs assistance, please have him reach out to us: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Diana G.  - it makes no sense whatsoever than one day the credit card will work, and the next time it won't.  You are seriously losing credibility because of this issue.  Word is getting out.  BBB has been contacted.  Fix this...PLEASE.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@LauraR516315, did you get an error with one of your purchases? - Diana G.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes.  It was the same error everyone gets:  

"There was a problem with your payment.  Please try again or contact AARP......."  

Know this:  Some of my credit cards have my middle initial, some don't.  IT SHOULDN'T MATTER.  

I live in the CITY of TIGARD, but according to the USPS, based on my zip code, I live in the CITY OF PORTLAND.  So, some credit cards may have one city, and other credit cards have another.  Who knows if some company's software CHANGES how they store my CITY based on the ZIP CODE.  ZIP CODE is all that should need to be matched to the credit card.  Not the CITY.  

Please know, that I don't plan on using any other AARP offered benefits due to the inability to fix this problem for over a year.  I also cannot recommend AARP to anyone at this time, until this is fixed.  

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@LauraR516315, which gift card (s) were you trying to purchase? Also, are you using an AdBlocker? - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It's really not if this many people are having the same issue. My card worked fine for 1 purchase now it no longer works. I tried every card I have multiple times. Every one of my clients have the same issue and they have all reached out to support and received 0 help or resolution. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Having the same problem very frustrating as that was the sole reason I signed up. When do you plan to fix this issue @AARPConsumerCare 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi @CaitlinG810684, here to help! May I know what error are you getting? And, which gift card(s) you're trying to purchase? Thanks. - Diana G. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Nicholas. I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry you're not able to purchase your gift cards. Please send a Private Note with your mailing address, so I can look into this.  - Stephen K.

Periodic Contributor

Sent.  Thank you 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am having the same issue, as is my daughter who literally just signed up and paid with the same card two days ago. Today they've escalated both our concerns whatever that means... I saw on a cruise group about someone starting a class action there were so many comments this seems to be normal. I bought in Jan with no issue

Community Concierge

Hi Kay! I read that this was escalated yesterday. Please reach out to us if you do not hear in the time frame that was given. I know when you purchase cruise gift cards, that the AARP membership and name, must be the same on the credit card being used. Like I can't use my credit card to buy thru my husbands AARP membership. I can be quite detailed if a name variation or address. It is a security feature. You can send us a private message when you are ready. -Sue J

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You do realize, other companies don't have this "security feature".  You are losing customers.  I have zero faith in your organization because of this issue.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have a crazy theory which another person posted.  I think during certain hours of the day, the payment system AARP uses can't handle the user traffic.  So, after 5 tries and on the 5th try I did it early in the morning, it went thru.  So, maybe give that a try?  They have told everyone so far that they have escalated the issue, but this problem is years old.  So, obviously, it's not fixed.  Give early morning or late at night a try.  I would love to hear if it works.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have tried for days and days with no luck and I have tried every credit card I have, and at many different hours of the day. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi @JeffreyW68256, I've replied to your most recent comment. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I dont get any replies ? smh I'm def not renewing 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This happened to me - I finally got it to go thru with a 4th different credit card and early in the morning.  Just check a couple of things (I don't work for AARP!!).  Logon to AARP and go to your account.  Make a note of your NAME and the ADDRESS they have for you.  Then, logon to your credit card company, and if the name or address don't EXACTLY match, the transaction will fail.  For example, not all my credit cards have my middle initial but AARP DOES!  This is incredibly poor software programming.  They shouldn't care about middle initial or the exact addy, but the zip code needs to match.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP