Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: Have you ever wanted to start your own business or be your own boss?

Message 1 of 25

Yes, but only if there was a system already in place, so that I don't have to re-invent the wheel. 

It is important for me to not have a physical location that I am tied to, not have employees, or have to pay for overhead.  I wanted to be able to work anyplace in the U.S. because I like to travel a lot.  

I had a business like this for almost 13 years.  It was good for awhile, but I lost interest in it and there were some changes in the industry that drastically affected my profits. 

So now I am working in a business now that has the above benefits, yet is much more profitable because it is a much needed service.

We are living in different times than our parents and having just 1 job that may lay you off at an advanced age is not going to cut it in today's world.

There is a huge need in the marketplace, especially for baby boomers around my age, to protect their finances and their most important asset, their ability to continue earning a living.  

The profits are huge in this industry and it is very rewarding and profitable.  You are truly helping people and performing a much needed financial service for people our age.

If you would like information on it, please e-mail me at dojustice2009@gmail.com and I will send you some information.  Then we will decide whether to partner together or part ways.  Either way is okay.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 25

Yes, I have been an entrepreneur for over three decades and I prefer it over employment. It requires planning, discipline and cash flow to maintain a reasonable lifestyle. I've found a career that's my calling which I should've been in from the beginning of my careers. It's a health/wellness ministry business which started as a result of my own self care after a breast cancer diagnosis in 1990, seeking the best of the rest of natural, holistic alternatives. Once I realized that what I had learned was not just for me, it became clear that I must share what I've learned with others. The business model is network/relationship marketing which many people shun for a lack of knowledge. It can be challenging since it requires personal development primarily around seeking and sustaining relationships; relationships to build the authentic network which is foundational for advancement through this business model. You have to learn things about yourself that may not be pleasant and be willing to make some changes to be a true leader who is developing more leaders. It has been a challenge but I've seen the vision where many 'everyday' people have gone from having nothing to moving into financial security and on into financial abundance which allows true time and other freedoms which are important to me.

I'm still looking for like minded and intended people who want more than their current situations and are willing to work together to achieve the best life for them.

It's a LIFEstyle!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 25

Hello Info Seeker,

I too am a nure of 44 yrs and I have also advocated and cared for family. Two of my 4 children had extremely rare disorder since birth and I also advocated for my Mom and my Dad who lived to 5 weeks shy of 97 yo. As a nurse, I learned very young with my 1st son that I had to advocate for him to feel he was recieving the best care available and also to be true to myself by asking as many questions to as many healthcare proffessionals as I needed to to find the answer that made sense to me and gave me comfort in knowing anad felling confident with the decisions I had to make in his behalf to ensure he was getting the best care possible. I also learned to never undersestimate a mother's instincts even when all are saying "we can't find anything wrong".

As much as I love my career in nursing and working in the health field in many capacities, I am burnt out. This is not due to patients, but because of the changes within the healthcare system throughout my involved years. This encompasses the insurance companies, regulatory agencies billing, documentation etc, etc.

I commend you for your direction to reach out and care for people from a different perspective. I have also been thinking of this as well and have no idea where to start. My main concern would be the legal aspect but beyond that, I would be ready to go forth. I find this a service which is so despertately needed and for me would be so rewarding to be an advocate for persons and families in need.

My best to you in your quest to honor your dream and if you choose to stay in touch and bounce ideas off each other, I am certainly willing.          

My best,

Another Nurse Smiley Happy 

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 25

I have wanted to start my own business since I was very young. Currently, as a certified hypnotherapist, I want to open a therapy office. I am planning to go back to school and get my Masters degree in clinical psychology so I may offer therapy and suppliment it with hypnotherapy where it may help the client.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 25
Marijuana business will thrive once it's banned from the us govt. This weed is a winner for stress and it's easily grown anywhere, it's a weed.
Video games are a booming business, it's online now. The kids are in it and the programmers are kids and adults. The video stores, yes, went out of business because you could only rent and kids wanted to buy the games. Later, on, they tried to sell it but kids were already moving online, with their parents.
The main thing is to keep yourself motivated then you will gradually find something.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 25

Try churches they are will hire system administrators as well

Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 25

Been there, done that!  My first business was when I was 13 years old I started a summer school for pre-school children in my parent's backyard.  We lived next to a lake so every day the children would work on learning the Pledge to the American Flag, then we learned how to say and write the alphabet, learn their numbers, took nature walks, and more.  I did this until I was 16 and able to get a "real" job.  When my sons were babies and I was in my mid-20s, I started a child care business. I got a child care license and took in 6 children every day while their parents worked.  Years later, when I was 32 and the single mother (divorced) of two small children, I needed more income than my day job provided, so I started my third business, a typing service in which I also wrote for people as well as typed for them.  The local print shop allowed me to advertise in their shop free, and I had lots of various types of secretarial jobs, some of which lasted for many years.  Now I'm waiting until I finish my thesis for my PhD so I can start another business, educating people about natural health.  I'm 78, but am not ready to quit working yet!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 25

Also, consider reading "The EMyth Revisited" by Michael Gerber.  Your local library probably has this short, insightful book. It will give you a lot of insight on what happens when you 1st become a business owner.

Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 25

I not only wanted my own business, I had one for a while.  I had a used book store that I ran at various flea markets and shows around the area.  I did that for 30 years, all the while I worked a full time job.  I had no weekends off as that is when I did most of my sales.  I didn't get rich, but I made enough to keep me paying bills and able to buy more books.  I really enjoyed meeting the people who liked to read and being able to give them something they loved at a discounted price!  However, I had to take care of my mother and eventually also my dad, so stopped, as this was too much of a burden to take on.  Now with kindles and booknooks, book stores are having a harder time competing with the online businesses so perhaps it was for the best

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 25

Looking for a business group in your area can be good advice.  There are also SCORE and SBDC centers.  I offer support for solo B2Bs who don't plan on hiring a lot of employees.  (Most government sponsored help is geared to increasing employment.)

Solo professional skills are less complicated but important to your success.  Your business model will be much the same as other solo professionals.  Please see http://www.businessskillsforcoaches.com for more information. Click on the blue button to schedule a complimentary Discovery Session for more information on what's available for your situation.