AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Have you ever wanted to start your own business or be your own boss?

Message 1 of 23 (283 Views)

Hello Info Seeker,

I too am a nure of 44 yrs and I have also advocated and cared for family. Two of my 4 children had extremely rare disorder since birth and I also advocated for my Mom and my Dad who lived to 5 weeks shy of 97 yo. As a nurse, I learned very young with my 1st son that I had to advocate for him to feel he was recieving the best care available and also to be true to myself by asking as many questions to as many healthcare proffessionals as I needed to to find the answer that made sense to me and gave me comfort in knowing anad felling confident with the decisions I had to make in his behalf to ensure he was getting the best care possible. I also learned to never undersestimate a mother's instincts even when all are saying "we can't find anything wrong".

As much as I love my career in nursing and working in the health field in many capacities, I am burnt out. This is not due to patients, but because of the changes within the healthcare system throughout my involved years. This encompasses the insurance companies, regulatory agencies billing, documentation etc, etc.

I commend you for your direction to reach out and care for people from a different perspective. I have also been thinking of this as well and have no idea where to start. My main concern would be the legal aspect but beyond that, I would be ready to go forth. I find this a service which is so despertately needed and for me would be so rewarding to be an advocate for persons and families in need.

My best to you in your quest to honor your dream and if you choose to stay in touch and bounce ideas off each other, I am certainly willing.          

My best,

Another Nurse Smiley Happy 

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 23 (357 Views)

I have wanted to start my own business since I was very young. Currently, as a certified hypnotherapist, I want to open a therapy office. I am planning to go back to school and get my Masters degree in clinical psychology so I may offer therapy and suppliment it with hypnotherapy where it may help the client.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 23 (389 Views)
Marijuana business will thrive once it's banned from the us govt. This weed is a winner for stress and it's easily grown anywhere, it's a weed.
Video games are a booming business, it's online now. The kids are in it and the programmers are kids and adults. The video stores, yes, went out of business because you could only rent and kids wanted to buy the games. Later, on, they tried to sell it but kids were already moving online, with their parents.
The main thing is to keep yourself motivated then you will gradually find something.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 23 (421 Views)

Try churches they are will hire system administrators as well

Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 23 (437 Views)

Been there, done that!  My first business was when I was 13 years old I started a summer school for pre-school children in my parent's backyard.  We lived next to a lake so every day the children would work on learning the Pledge to the American Flag, then we learned how to say and write the alphabet, learn their numbers, took nature walks, and more.  I did this until I was 16 and able to get a "real" job.  When my sons were babies and I was in my mid-20s, I started a child care business. I got a child care license and took in 6 children every day while their parents worked.  Years later, when I was 32 and the single mother (divorced) of two small children, I needed more income than my day job provided, so I started my third business, a typing service in which I also wrote for people as well as typed for them.  The local print shop allowed me to advertise in their shop free, and I had lots of various types of secretarial jobs, some of which lasted for many years.  Now I'm waiting until I finish my thesis for my PhD so I can start another business, educating people about natural health.  I'm 78, but am not ready to quit working yet!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 23 (534 Views)

Also, consider reading "The EMyth Revisited" by Michael Gerber.  Your local library probably has this short, insightful book. It will give you a lot of insight on what happens when you 1st become a business owner.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 23 (562 Views)

I not only wanted my own business, I had one for a while.  I had a used book store that I ran at various flea markets and shows around the area.  I did that for 30 years, all the while I worked a full time job.  I had no weekends off as that is when I did most of my sales.  I didn't get rich, but I made enough to keep me paying bills and able to buy more books.  I really enjoyed meeting the people who liked to read and being able to give them something they loved at a discounted price!  However, I had to take care of my mother and eventually also my dad, so stopped, as this was too much of a burden to take on.  Now with kindles and booknooks, book stores are having a harder time competing with the online businesses so perhaps it was for the best

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 23 (670 Views)

Looking for a business group in your area can be good advice.  There are also SCORE and SBDC centers.  I offer support for solo B2Bs who don't plan on hiring a lot of employees.  (Most government sponsored help is geared to increasing employment.)

Solo professional skills are less complicated but important to your success.  Your business model will be much the same as other solo professionals.  Please see http://www.businessskillsforcoaches.com for more information. Click on the blue button to schedule a complimentary Discovery Session for more information on what's available for your situation. 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 23 (3,255 Views)
Good luck, as we both know the food industry is very hard work and very rewarding. Make sure you are well financed and have a great plan and a good support system( people wise). Just take care of yourself in the process.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 23 (3,274 Views)

Thanks, I will look into it.  This something that I really want to do.