Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Phishing email that appears to come from AARP

Periodic Contributor

Phishing email that appears to come from AARP

Beware!  I received an email supposedly coming from AARP with the subject line "Go on your very own AARP Spree! Details Inside!" but it is a scam.  The actual email address is "promo@promotions.fragranceoutlet.com" and has nothing to do with AARP.

Contributor

Found this info on contact us link, but when I tried to forward the email, the message was detected as spam and wouldn't send.

Report suspected phishing or fraud

AARP will never call or email you for credit card information to process refunds or to look up account information. If you received a phishing email from a suspected AARP impostor, please report it by forwarding the message to spoof@aarp.org. If you want to report any other phishing attempts or need help with other types of fraud or scams, please call the AARP Fraud Watch Network Helpline at 1-877-908-3360.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

These scam emails appearing to be from AARP are coming more frequently and the scammers are getting better at making them look legit.  It makes people reluctant to click on any link in any AARP email.

Why doesn't AARP Fraud Watch have an e-mail address I can easily forward a phishing e-mail to?  This is frustrating !  I don't want to call a help line....just forward it and let them deal with it like I do with PayPal, Chase, and all the other phishing e-mails I get.

Regular Contributor

That would be a great idea, they should absolutely do that!    You can also report these types of e-mails to:  reportphishing@apwg.org

Contributor

Right. But is there a way to report these to AARP? doesn't AARP have a phishing report line like PayPal??? I feel like AARP must be responsible for our emails getting into these Phishers' hands. suggestions welcome

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, @NancyR461885. From what I have gathered from @AARPJanelleM's past posts regarding these spam, scam, phishing, or fraud emails -- she has referred concerned members/non-members here (to report their most recent spams/scams/frauds): MONEY Scams & Fraud | MONEY SCAMS & FRAUD About AARP Fraud Watch Network | SCAMS & FRAUD AARP Fraud Watch Network Helpline.

You can also just call the, 'AARP Fraud Watch Network Helpline' @ 1-877-908-3360 [toll-free service is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET] to share your experience(s) or concerns. Hopefully this will help!  🙂

Contributor

Thanks for responding. That's certainly a lot of work to login and go through all those screens.... if it were just one and rarely, fine. But it's frequent. Like @ronnego says, why not just give us a place to forward the phishing email. If AARP was serious about rooting them out, they would make it easy.

Contributor

It would much easier if AARP had an email address to send the phishing emails. Most companies allow you to just forward the phishing email rather than asking you to call them. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Phishing Email that almost got by me......

From: AARP Shopping        Subject: Shipped! Your AARP Reward  AARP  Rew??rd Open Immedi??tely

When I roll my curser over the AARP Shopping the real IP address is - ..-.....-..-....-.... @mi8.successplan.org.uk

Notes: I've received real Rewards from AARP  many times before; and this one was "worded" differently/ un-usual🤔

Once you roll your curser over the URL of where it came really came "From" = you can see if it's it real or a 'phish'/ fake' email🤔

😎  Hopefully this can help others from being fooled.

Stay alert, folks.

Contributor

Right. But is there a way to report these to AARP? doesn't AARP have a phishing report line like PayPal???  I feel like AARP must be responsible for our emails getting into these Phishers' hands. suggestions welcome

Contributor

On 8/15/23 I got aarp email "CLAIM YOUR HUNDERED DOLLAR AARP OFFER"  complete the short survey about aarp membership to select you exclusive offer of up to $100.00 cash.  This email came from g.yapimichel392@yapimichel392.coyoto.cfd.  I do not believe this is from aarp, looks like scam email..  I did not claim my gift.  Did you get this email?  Bill

Periodic Contributor

I didn't get that one but definitely a scam . . . I think AARP can spell "hundred" correctly, or at least use spell check.

Periodic Contributor

And these scams are now coming with more frequency.  I've also noticed my email is not in the "To:" address field. 

I received email also. This had Membership Offer and came from email address: accounts@househours.net

have received same email several times with different t “from” email address. 

Contributor

Own Your Membership <hammer@alloodeal.com>

Received email with above originator that said "Discover the benefits of AARP" It also gad an attachment.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for bringing these scam emails to light. I've always wondered that if you are tied in with AARP, you know just by signing up, how anyone else would know that you were with AARP? That is unless the root culprit IS actually AARP.

Who's selling our information, how much is my head worth, and where's my cut>? 🤔

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP