Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Consumer Cellular - BYOP is a Lie

I wanted to switch service for 3 existing phones on an active ATT account to Consumer Cellular. Contacted CC and set up an an account. Provided the IMEI's for the 3 phones. The agent assured me the phones would work with CC. Inserted a CC SIM card in one of the phones (Samsung S8, unlocked ATT phone). Text and data worked but could not make or receive calls. After going through several agents, I was told the phone was not compatible with CC and would have to purchase a new phone. What a scam. I was basically lied to.

I tested the SIM in several other unlocked ATT phones (another S8 and S9+). Same symptoms, no voice calls in or out. I did find the SIM worked in an unbranded international version of the S8. My suspicion is CC (or ATT) is blocking unlocked ATT phones on CC's system.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@AndrewZ747733 I'm sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP