Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Consumer Cellular - BYOP is a Lie

I wanted to switch service for 3 existing phones on an active ATT account to Consumer Cellular. Contacted CC and set up an an account. Provided the IMEI's for the 3 phones. The agent assured me the phones would work with CC. Inserted a CC SIM card in one of the phones (Samsung S8, unlocked ATT phone). Text and data worked but could not make or receive calls. After going through several agents, I was told the phone was not compatible with CC and would have to purchase a new phone. What a scam. I was basically lied to.

I tested the SIM in several other unlocked ATT phones (another S8 and S9+). Same symptoms, no voice calls in or out. I did find the SIM worked in an unbranded international version of the S8. My suspicion is CC (or ATT) is blocking unlocked ATT phones on CC's system.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@AndrewZ747733 I'm sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP