Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 3rd day of April 2024.

Happy Birthday to all of our April Birthday members.
April Birth Flowers: Daisies and Sweet Peas.

1000009941.jpg

1000010732.jpg

1000010733.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , oh yes, I remember the ol' pinhole method.  I also remember when we lived in Germany, we used a piece of smoked glass.  NOT RECOMMENDED!  Of course, at that time, we didn't know better.  Not like eclipses happened all the time.  This was long before the techie times.  Wonder we didn't all go blind.  Although who knows?  Maybe there were residual affects, just hard to distinguish between that and old age.  😆

Honored Social Butterfly

Thought about using over-exposed 220 films but, I had no problem seeing  my iPhone lite thru film. That Bill Nue guy is dangerous.

Telescope was a god  send

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps, 

@DaveMcK @SpringIsHereSoHappy @MsStretch @Therapist4u @Frozenoem 

Did try to see the eclipse, but we had off and on clouds. I was in and out of the house trying to catch a glimpse. The glasses were good. I do remember in 1991 my husband and I were in Hawaii during a well-hyped total solar eclipse. We were on Kauai, and the best viewing was supposed to be on the big island of Hawaii, but they had clouds, so actually we saw it better than the folks who had planned the big expensive vacay on the big island expressly for the eclipse.

@Frozenoem ...At that time the glasses were not that available and so I had prepared the cardboard pinhole thing and it was fun looking at the crescent patterns on my husband's shirt LOL.

On Monday I enjoyed the 90% of what I could actually see. I wore my 33-year-old souvenir tee shirt from the Hawaiian eclipse.

Put one of the lenses over my phone and took a few photos.

This is the best one...you can kind of see the moon starting to come over the bottom of the sun....

Solar eclipse 2024 2.jpg

It's kind of blurry but had to enlarge it so I could see it and therefore the blur.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi again @catwoman500

I chuckled at “I wore my 33-year-old souvenir tee shirt from the Hawaiian eclipse.”

I have more OLD clothes than new, some from the 70s...like my 1st tie-dyes, souvenirs from concerts (Jethro Tull, >>>>John Lennon & Paul McCartney, George Harrison & even Ringo>>>>(unfortunately... NOT together, but solo...still it was so wonderful & amazing to see them live!!!) Stones, Animals, Simon/Garfunkel, YES, ELO & ELP! ETC.)

Anyway, I think your ‘kind of blurry’ eclipse pic is still great, & wanted to ask what kind f lenses did you use? I know very little ...& I’ll defer to Froze, because I’ll bet he will jump in & expound upon more info, using his incredible wealth of knowledge...hope so....LOL!

Also.... thanks for all the kudos!

Hope you’re doing well!

As always... Take care!

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u ...Allen, 

What I meant by "lens" was that I took a second pair of the cardboard glasses and folded the lens part around my phone camera lens. One of the news stations recommended that so your phone or regular camera wouldn't get screwed up. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy , eclipses happen regularly, but it is all a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  The next eclipse to appear in the U.S. is in 2033, but will only be visible in NW Alaska.  For the lower 48, the next visible eclipse will be in 2044 and will only be seen from Montana, North Dakota and far northwest South Dakota. 

Read more info here.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u , sorry, no pictures.  Didn't have the right filters for any of my cameras.  87% = a skinny banana.  It was pretty cool.  Probably be the last one I see in my lifetime.  As the moon was moving away from the sun, some clouds moved in which looked really eerie through the glasses and at one point, the clouds blotted out the sun.  And since you can only see the sun's light through those glasses, it was easy to imagine I was watched a total eclipse. 😁

Gold Conversationalist

Hi again @MsStretch

It looks like several of us Porch Peeps had to deal with some cloud issues besides you & I,....including  @catwoman500

Glad you at least got to see >>>>> a skinny banana! 🍌 😄 LOL!!

AFA the 2044 eclipse: Ima gunna get my hotel reservations early, for the 2044 eclipse.....

but wait...let’s see...doing some math here....oh shoot....

prob ain’t agunna be here then....tho ya never know do ya? LOL!!

Hope you’re doing well!

As always...Stay safe....&...Take care!

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

One picture from a Celestron at camp,

Was at Rangeley had to fly in

IMG_4143.jpeg

Today I plan to be unconscious, and charging batteries,

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Eclipse day. 🌒 We will see 87% in my neck of the woods.  Broke out my old glasses from the eclipse in 2017.  I cannot believe it, but we actually have a clear day as in blue sky, no clouds, today.  Anybody else got eclipse fever?

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 
Not a cloud in the sky in Rangeley, and only saw 5 others on my lake. Luckily someone had a telescope and filters, I couldn’t find any filters from 2017.

Frankly I thought I wouldn’t get any shots of eclipse despite where it would be, only went up to clear roof.

Saw a former neighbor with outfitted telescope and got some nice shots. A lot easier than my first eclipse in 1963, when it was pinhole, aluminum foil, and sheet of paper - in cardboard box.

Pinhole camera - old school 

Enjoy

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

2 comments (4/9/24) @Frozenoem , what time was it for you?  🤔

I guess I should TRY to see one before I die  🙄

@LeeS4949 , @LaDolceVita and @catwoman500 did you see it in YOUR location?  🤔

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   There were some brief moments when the skies were darker than usual, we were outside and knew that somewhere not too far the eclipse was happening.  A strange hushed sky like the last eclipse, without actually seeing the event itself.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Where is everyone?  I kept looking for a new Morning Roll Call thread but alas there is not one!  Have you all been eclipsed?  OK, not funny. 

All is well with me and mine.  Have put up an arbor next to the pergola.  Will post picture after I take one.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

Sometime between 2:30 and 4:00 pm,, haven’t had a watch in few years..that’s was what was suggested on weather, went out when dark was coming.

Froze

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MsStretch

Good to know you at least got an 87% view!

Did you take any pics..that could be shared??

That said...I wouldn’t say I had “eclipse fever”....more like the old commercial....WHERE’S THE BEEF?!!?! ... WHERE’S THE ECLIPSE?? LOL!!

As I mentioned to Dave @DaveMcK Our mostly cloudy day hindered all but a few moments to see it! ..& with short windows of partial clearing...while using a friends ‘eclipse glasses’ ...It was more like a ‘tease’...it was hard trying to share glasses!!...“there it is...no it’s gone...wait there it is again...”...& yet the few glimpses were incredible....

Anyway...as always take care!

☮️  🌄 ~Allen  🌈 🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Allen,

Next time if you don’t have glasses or filters try a pinhole camera, I think Boy Scouts or ? Taught me that decades ago, had to look it up this year just in case.

It’s not a direct view so, no eye damage.👍

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey  Froze! @Frozenoem  Good to hear from you!

Thanks for replying...& trying to help!

Yes I had looked into making a box w/ pinhole...but it was at one point trying to rain & did a little....but the clouds were so thick that it seemed like another ‘bust’...LOL! And then I saw my neighbor & she said...hey Allen....come over here...& shared her glasses...& lo & behold...between cloud covers there were moments of enough clearing to see it for short moments..at least I can say I saw it! Ha!

In 2017 our whole condo complex was prepared & it was so cool!

I slipped out to go to a quiet place to be by myself! And shortly before total...& for a whole bunch of minutes...it was dead quiet...all the birds stopped flying around & nothing from the usual ‘chirpers’....they KNEW something was up!...& then when it got the darkest...there was an eerie atmosphere..hard to explain...but it was almost ‘creepy’...kind of pickin up on what early  man must have felt...of course for them ....before they mapped the stars & moon & made sundials etc...it must have been a WTF moment....of course they didn’t know that expression yet! HAHAAA!!

Anyway,

Stay safe....&... ‘WAHM’ LOL!!

Take care!

🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈 🎿 ❄️ 🏂

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (4/8/24) @Therapist4u , do the birds stop flying each time or just the one in 2017?  🤔

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy , during a full eclipse, it turns to night which confuses birds and all wildlife, so yes, they generally stop their tweeting and chirping and flying.

Gold Conversationalist

DUNNO...You’d have to ask the birds>>>>📢 🐦📣🕊🦅🦉🐦🦆 

...LOL!!

That said (with a smile...😃 HA!)....

this time it wasn’t as quiet...or eerie...

due to it was mostly dark anyway...

& because of very little actual....

‘eclipsing’ <<<new word LOL!

Trusted Social Butterfly

3 comments (4/8/24) That is AWESOME that you saw it @Therapist4u !!!  👵

Gold Conversationalist

Thanks Nicole! 🙂👍

I would ask you how was your experiences...but then I saw the:

“@MsStretch , I have NEVER seen one and DO NOT plan to. ENJOY!!!”

BTW: HI TOO @MsStretch LOL!!

Hope y’all are doing well!

Take care!

☮️  🌄~Allen 🌈  🎨

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (4/9/24) I am doing good @Therapist4u and hope you are too  💙💙💙

Gold Conversationalist

Thanks for askin @SpringIsHereSoHappy....

I’m.....GREAT.JPG

I’m.....GREAT😀

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (4/8/24)    ANY COFFEE DRINKERS OUT THERE?

I am one and buy the regular instant coffee, Walmart brand. Then add their version of sweet & low. Then LOTS of creamer (Hazelnut or French Vanilla). At age 66 this year, I can drink it at bedtime. Lol, NO longer keeps me awake as it did when I was a youngster.  🙄  I now drink it for the taste!!! 👵

Silver Conversationalist

All my life.. Got me an auto maker a few years ago, I set it the night before and its ready when I get up. Just have to plod to the kitchen and pour..A little milk and a squirt of French Vanilla and Im good to go.

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (Friday 4/5/24) MAIL ALERT!

@Frozenoem , what was the "issue & fix" - I cannot remember, but I was around with my OLD account 2019 to 2021.  👵

YOU WROTE: Heck I was thrilled when someone actually fixed the you got mail alert that was dated 2021 or 2022 for years.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

My notifications of new posts were always dated 2021 despite the actual year of posting.It was like AARP never changed the time and date stamp on their servers.

Beyond that I can’t really speak non-geek. Need to speak to a Windoze or Dos user. Not happening  this month my computers are busy, all of them.

If you have a Windows or Dos computer with bios that hasn’t booted in years and battery is dead on motherboard. Then you’d need to boot to command prompt and enter date: and Time: to bring it into this century.

About as non geek as I can go!

Froze

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP