Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

why medicare rejected my student therapist now?

Contributor

why medicare rejected my student therapist now?

I have been going heartballoonplz.gifto student-psychology therapists for years;I can't GET ANY OTHER TYPES OF PSYCHOLOGICAL  THERAPISTS!!ALL THE PSYCHIATRISTS LEFT MY STATE!!--and other medical people!!ALL THERAPISTS!!WHY?Cause they don't want Medicare!! i could only find this  one "weird" psychiatry company onkline,that I thought was "kooky",but they were legally covered by Medicare.now,i🤕COULD  NOT FIND A THERAPIST OF ANY KIND,FOR YEARs!!AND I only see this person over a laptop computer.AND I  only could get "student psychologists" and student-(lowerclass very low like social workers)--people who barely knew any psychology.WHY iNSURE SOCIAL WORKERS who don't even know psychology of any kind??--because the insurance can't get any other kind of "help,"all the psychology people left the state of Oregon.I finally find a student social worker,and suddenly,"NO SHE'S ONLY A STUDENT!!ONLY LICENSED THERAPISTS OF ANY KIND!!"WELL licensed ONES REFUSE TO TAKE mEDICARE.tHE STUDENTS WERE OK WITH mEDICARE;WHY NOW,THEY ARE NOT?

tHE STUDENT SAID"iT'S BECAUSE WE WERE AUDITED BY THE GOVT."GUESS WHAT,they are the only THERAPISTS LEFT IN OREGON!!--on laptop computers!!--If they kill this shrink-company, I'll have to move to WA DC SO i CAN HARRASS THE GOVT. FROM THERE!!--WHICH I AM TRYING TO DO!!()TOMARROW I  call UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage,s____!!i   I need help from AARP!!!YES!!!HOW do you get any psychological help, even social workers(that is the bottom rung)--on Medicare Advantage now??WHY SUDDENLY ,AFTER YEARS OF OKING THEM,IS mEDICARE REFUSING TO TAKE THE STUDENTS?tHEY HAVE A TEACHER AND HEAD,WHO'S A PSYCHIATRIST.NOW Medicare will only accept someone who has their lic no students!ense,!Do you know,who I had to get  "help"from,for years,to talk to?My ordinary medical doctor!!--HE had to play psychiatrist.--AND he had to do all my psychiatric meds too.Fortunately, he seems to know a lot about Depression,even medically.--Laser_Gun_by_Argetlam_Br_01.gif

Yes, it's like Hell here.CRIME very bad. All the criminals from big cities moVed HERE. ALL THE HOMELESS who got thrown out of other states.Well, at least the very active CRIMINALS like it here!!HIHICAN I GET SOME HELP FROM AARP??

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DorothyB737755 

In 2024, Medicare started covering (more) different type psychological providers - they also strongly encouraged more psychiatrist and other types of licensed mental health providers to join the Medicare assignment ranks. However,  I am sorry to say that as with all of Medicare, student classifications aren’t covered directly because they are “students” and don’t actually have a license to treat nor do they have a license to prescribe.

Here is Medicare’s coverage of Mental Health providers - 

Medicare.gov - Outpatient Mental Health Coverage

I am far from Oregon but here is some suggestion that may help you find a good Medicare Mental Health provider that you like and can help you.

NOTE:  You have to develop a patient/provider relationship before telemedicine is effective - IOW, the provider has to know you and all of your medical and mental history and treatments & medications - current and otherwise.

• You can search by your zip code a list of providers in your area on this Medicare website and it will tell you if the provider accepts Medicare assignment.    Medicare.gov - Search for a Provider
  • You could get your Medicare Primary Care Provider to refer you to an appropriate Medicare Mental Health provider - one that accepts Medicare assignment.
  • call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org.  or Call 911 if you're in immediate medical crisis.

Yes, it is hard to find a mental health provider - EVERYWHERE.  They treat everything - mental health problems including addiction - so they are overwhelmed at the present time since these illnesses aren’t just for the elderly - 

An internet search did bring up this page but I have no idea if any of them are a right fit for you since like other professions they have certain areas of expertise.

Psychology Today - Fine Medicare Therapist and Psychologist in Oregon

Good Luck in finding someone that can help you.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi DorothyB737755! We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. -Sue J

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

WHAT AARP benefit provider?  Seems to me that @DorothyB737755 is trying to find a Medicare covered telehealth psychologist.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP