Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Phone Survey from United Healthcare AARP

Contributor

Phone Survey from United Healthcare AARP

I received a phone call from 978-802-3052 claiming to be United Healthcare AARP wanting to speak to my dad.  I am his POA, and my cell number is listed on the account.  It was a voice activated survey, and I said I would not answer the questions.  Then I turned around and called the number back, and they said 2 names are associated with this number. Is this (dad's name)?  Mom is also associated with the number for UHC AARP, so it seemed like they really were from UHC AARP.  The questions only asked for dad's birth year which is public information.  Everything else was health oriented about his pain level, days of exercise, mental well-being, ability to meet needs, etc.  Weird thing is, dad has had dementia for years, and the questions did not make sense for a person with dementia.  At the end of the call, it said, if you have any questions, call UHC at 800-523-5800. That is the UHC AARP Med Supp customer service number. I called and spoke to a customer service rep (obviously overseas), and they did not know anything about the calls. I called 978-802-3052 back again, and this time they asked is this (mom's name)?  I said no. When they asked is this (dad's name), I also said no hoping to get to a real person. No matter what I did, it would not give me an option to talk to a live person. I googled 978-802-3052 and see a lot of questions about the number that seem to involve scams and the caller requesting medicare account numbers, offering to give away gift cards, etc. It's just the oddest thing.  I don't see any possible way we could be scammed from this call. It really did seem like AARP or UHC were trying to gather basic wellness information.  But why use a spoofed number and direct me to customer service who know nothing about it?

Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

3/23/24 around 4pm ET, received call from 978-252-2046, caller ID said UNITEDHLTHCARE. I let it go voice mail because I get dozens of scam/spam calls each wk.   They left a mechanical female voice asking me to call back, 24 hrs/day for survey about my health. The # they left for call back: 877 472-1655.

I'm not calling them back either way, scam or not. 

I've had this Medicare supplement policy for at least 10+ yrs. And only once has UHC called me to leave recorded message pushing their useless nurse advice line. I think nurses are great but not in these health insurance companies "advice lines". Their only purpose is to save money & build billions in profits for the health insurance industry. Doubt what I say? Just Google: ' unitedhealthcare profits 2023'. UHC reported $22.3 BILLION for 2023.

One other thing I hope folks here realize: AARP just sells (rents?) their name to United Health Care both companies capitalizing on the long ago good work AARP did on certain issues. 

Apologies in advance for typos, grammar & spelling. 

I just got the same call from 978-252-2046.  It went to voice mail.  I haven't bothered calling them back and have no plans to.  

The msg they left is this:  

“Hi, this message is for <name>. I am calling on behalf of United healthcare, insurance company, insure of the AARP Medicare supplement plans to check in with your house. Please call us back 24/seven  toll-free at 8 7 7- 4 7 2- 1 6 5 5 again, please call 8 7 7- 4 7 2- 1 6 5 5 TTY user should call 7 1 1. Thank you and have a good day. Goodbye. …”

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

February 26, 2024 I had this identical call - in the middle of my dinner besides. I have never ever listened to a stranger or more misplaced odd series of questions in my life. I did not answer the call - it went to voicemail - and it said they were from United Healthcare and I needed to call back at 877-472-5560... that was the total voicemail.  Thinking it was bona fide - I did call back - only to listen (plate of food in my lap) to a series of inane questions, with several choices of answers... in some cases, none of which would pertain to me at all (like "not at all" or "several days" or "nearly every day". I'm not sure if I finished this stupid call but at the end I said an abrupt NO!!  They then gave the number 800-523-5800 to call and comment about the survey. **Ah no thanks... I wanted to search to see if I could find information about this since I know there are efforts being made to switch people from regular medi-gap plans to Advantage Plans, and I just had my Part D plan switched... without my permission or request.  All of this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I want answers. I also want no parts of other "offerings" in any way shape or form thanks very much.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

A post from Elderhealth. FWIW I keep receiving this exact same call over and over. I'll block the caller. 

We've recently been informed that there is a scam targeting older adults in which you receive an automated call with a message from UHC AARP stating that the call is intended for (states your First & Last name) and that they need to discuss a few health questions with you. The call is received from (978) 802-3052 and asks you to call (833) 385-9445 back. Please do not provide personal information, health information, financial information over the phone, internet, email, or text to anyone. Always be sure to go directly to the source by contacting your insurance with the number printed on the back of your insurance card. It is best practice to verify links before clicking them, or contacting the institution directly whether it be your insurance carrier, financial institution, or other.

Community Concierge

Hello Lisa, I am sorry to read about your parents' experience. You can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider or questions or suggestions for AARP. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text.

•            Description of your issue and/or suggestion

•            Mention that you are requesting an escalation

We look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos

Hello all.

If this is indeed a scam -

You can use a reverse lookup service such as numlookup.com

https://www.numlookup.com/  to check numbers.

The scammers "register" a VOIP service.

In this case, the "registrant" is

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.57.10.png

NOTE THE MISSPELLED NAME - IF YOU HAVE CALLER ID, THIS NAME MAY APPEAR AND LEAD YOU TO THINKING IT IS A SCAM

Further, from the report I ran:

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.57.36.png

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.57.25.png

Please be careful

Contributor

Thought I would let everyone know I got this reply from United Healthcare from sending an email question through their website.  Seems it is a legit survey.

This letter confirms your e-mail request, which we received on Thursday, December 28, 2023

We do from time to time contact members for surveys. If they gave the 1-800-523-5800 number the call was a legitimate call.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us via e-mail, or call our office toll-free at 1­800-523-5800, weekdays from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Eastern Time. AARP Member Benefits Customer Service will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Member Services Department
AARP Member Benefits
Angela

0 Kudos

I've been getting these same calls for a couple months.  They seem so legit, but I just know they're scams.  UHC wouldn't call like this.  Glad I'm not the only one who suspects a rat!

Contributor

'I've received a series of voicemail messages from 978-802-3052. And I've called UHC twice. Once, I was told these are "welcome" calls, to ignore the voicemail that asked me to call and give them health-related info. Today the rep took a few minutes to check and returned to the line to tell me I need to speak to their fraud department because the number I'm asked to call doesn't belong to UHC. But after being transferred, their fraud dept. had closed for the day.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP