Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Medicare Fraud

The recent identified case of the 2B in Medicare Fraud in 2 years is concerning(See story on the Medicare 'catheter fraud'. If this were a non government company, the upper management would be replaced by now. (But it is only a government program for the elderly, so I guess it is OK that the money is being spent on Fraud instead of on the nations elderly.) The Medicare tax needs to be increased to allow for smarter systems to detect this type of crime. Increasing the tax will also allow for payments to providers to keep up with inflation. Right now, physicians are managing the care of the elderly (whether you are in a managed care plan or not).  Why is AARP not advocating for the elderly in this situation?

Conversationalist

Yeah, the people at Medicare don't care.  In fact they will accuse you as the reason for the Fraud.  I am one who found catheter charges on my account at the beginning of September for 2 months of supplies at once.  They approved of $2000 for each month.  This is not small, insignificant charges.  Thqt's why they are doing it.  Doctors don't get anywhere near that kind of money for a visit.  

I reported it the moment I saw it on my account.  They tried to blame me for giving out my Medicare number.  I informed them I didn't.  They said I probably gave to someone who called on the phone.  I then told them I don't answer the phone of numbers I don't know.  I also don't give out any personal information to someone who calls me even if the number says it is someone I know.  Currently it is still on my account.  They have not reversed anything.  They are supposedly still investigating.  It is almost 6 months now. 

And now we find out nearly 1 million Medicare patients information was compromised back in July 2023.  And one article says they won't even confirm that they are investigating.  Yes, give the money to scammers but cut payments to the doctors who are actually providing a service.  That's the government for you.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP