Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Is Medicare sign up required by law?

Is Medicare sign up required by law?

Hello,

I will be 65 in September this year and I will NOT be retiring for a couple of years. Do I HAVE TO sign up for Medicare even though I will be keeping my employer's health coverage?

Will I penalize when I do finally sigh up?

I went to SSA to inquire, but they were not very helpful.  In fact, very unhelpful.  But that a whole other story.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There are several things you need to determine so as not to get into a difficult situation with Medicare.  Much of your decision has to be based on the type and size of your employer coverage. 

This should explain it fully - if not, come back and ask more questions here.

Medicare.gov - Working Past 65.

One other note of importance - if your employer group coverage is of the type where you can delay sign up (see the link), you can go ahead and sign up for Medicare Part A since usually this is premium free (Part A has been paid for by working long enough and paying those employee contributions through your working years).  Part A can work in combination to the employer group coverage as a second payer.

The only other reason you may NOT want to do this is because you (nor employer for you) cannot contribute to an [individual] HSA - you cannot have any part of Medicare and still contribute to an individual type Health Savings Account. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Is It Mandatory to Sign Up for Medicare? 

Click here ----> Is Medicare Mandatory? | Healthline

ARRP Medicare Resource Center

Click here ---->  Medicare - Resources and Information from AARP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each state has this program:  State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)

Click Here ---> Home | State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (shiphelp.org)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Side Note: I heard about this program from my local Public Library - for which I had attended two of these 'live - in person (open- group- registered-held at the library) events' for free. It was very informative; free material given.  State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)

😎

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP