Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

I mistakenly signed up for Medicare Plan B - Do I have to pay the premium?

I mistakenly signed up for Medicare Plan B - Do I have to pay the premium?

When signing up for Social Security, I mistakenly signed up for Medicare Plan B.  I don't need it right now because I am currently employed and covered by my employer's group health plan. However, I have already received an invoice for the first three months of Medicare Plan B.  Do I have to pay it, even though I won't be using it?  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Whether or not you have to pay for it (or some of it) depends on what the billing months are - Medicare Part B premiums are for the month of billing; they aren’t paid in advance for a current month.  So if one of these months is for June or earlier - you will have to pay.

Then you need to cancel Part B IF you have coverage that is acceptable to Medicare.  Here’s how you do it.

SSA.gov - How do I terminate my Medicare Part B (medical insurance)? KA-02713 - FAQ

Now to tell if your employer coverage is OK for you to drop Part B - usually if your employer has less than 20 employees, you may have to keep it because Medicare pays 2nd in that situation.

Medicare.gov - How Medicare Works With Other Insurance

This is the sort of stuff SSA will go over with you when you call about cancelling your Part B (or should).

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP