Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Cycling by Seniors

Would you like a healthy life style that promotes a lower carbon footprint.  Cycling, whether traditional or ebikes, has amazing physical and mental benefits.  

In Portland OR the number of seniors on bikes is amazing and growing all the time.  Look at the Netherlands' bike population.  Young to old, all on bikes and living healthier and long.

Come on, you'll love it!

Can't agree more.
AARP can do a lot more to promote cycling for seniors!
I just finished their Senior Driver Safety Course. In the section where they discussed options for getting around when you can no longer drive, they did not mention once bicycling!  It was all about alternative motorized means of getting around.
This really shows a bias against cycling by AARP.
Take a minute to write customer service and suggest that they include cycling in their safety course!!

Regular Contributor

...cycling is wonderful exercise.  There is a small caution, however.  And because of that, it is good to read a nice professional book on cycling.

So, whether you are riding an outdoor bike or an exercise bike, the leg should be close to full extension at the end of the bike "stroke."

... If it is not that complete "stroke" you can tighten up your calf muscles and cause some problems throughout the day.  Easy to resolve, but read up and make sure you are doing it correctly.

Here's one You Tube Video...

...(link didn't work)

...If link doesn't work, try searching You Tube under this title:

...How to Set Your Bicycle Seat Height

...from the video:

... Looking for the best method to set your seat height on your bike? In this video, I'll show you how to take an accurate measurement and apply it to your bicycle. Setting the proper seat height is important for 2 reasons: 1. If you set the seat height too low, you will feel uncomfortable and your pedaling will be less efficient 2. If you set the seat height too high, you strain certain muscle groups which can lead to injury, and this is also less efficient. The best part is that you can do this all in the comfort of your own home, with simple household items.

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes!  And, David Byrne comes to mind. He's an inspiration to older cyclists, and has trekked the globe. 

I highly recommend cycling, for better health.

[Although, I do have trouble with those hilly-mountainous inclines.  🚲 ]

David-Byrne.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP