Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Where to find info on RMDs with both 401k and IRA accounts?

Contributor

Where to find info on RMDs with both 401k and IRA accounts?

I have both traditional IRA accounts and self-employed 401k accounts. I believe I can combine the two 401k accounts and take the full amount of my RMD from either one or the other or spread among both, and ditto with the IRAs. My question is, can I combine the two forms of accounts to take the RMD from only one. For example, I have $100,000 in 401k accounts, and $50,000 in IRAs. Can I take the full RMD for my age for $150,000 from only the IRA account?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for responding, but unfortunately that page doesn't answer my question, which is why I was asking here. I can't believe it's that unusual to have both 401k and IRA accounts, but no one seems to know the answer!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@LynnE216 We recommend consulting a professional financial advisor for assistance. However, I was also able to locate this info on the IRS site that may be able to help:

Q5. Can an account owner just take a RMD from one account instead of separately from each account?

An IRA owner must calculate the RMD separately for each IRA they own, but can withdraw the total amount from one or more of the IRAs. Similarly, a 403(b) contract owner must calculate the RMD separately for each 403(b) contract they own, but can take the total amount from one or more of the 403(b) contracts.

However, RMDs required from other types of retirement plans, such as 401(k) and 457(b) plans, must be taken separately from each of those plan accounts.

That info was located in the FAQs part of the IRS site here: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plan-and-ira-required-minimum-distributions-faqs

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP