Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Social Butterfly

Linux Exchange

I thought I would start a Long Running Topic to see if there is an interest in exchanging information and experience using the various flavors of Linux Operating Systems.

I first got hands-on with Ubuntu as an efficient, low cost OS to run on Virtual Box for teenagers to access the internet with minimal mucking-up of the Desktop system we all had to share.  Over the years as MS Windows has become more and more bloated and its TOS has become more and more disagreeable my interest in Linux has steadily grown.

Just as a starter, are their any opinions about the pronunciation of the name "Linux"?

Long I sound like "Line-Ux"

or

Short I sound like "Lin-Ux"

?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 on a virtual box this weekend.  One thing I noticed immediately was the lack of a Solid Color option for the desktop background.  20.04 was the same. I was hoping it was a quirk.  Ubuntu will let me choose files to use as my desktop background, but I'm not sure what file extension(s) it will accept (gif, jpg, jpeg, png)?.  Anybody have any info? I'm just starting my research.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The nice thing about trying out a new O.S. or O.S. Version on a virtual machine is it allows for testing things out without risking the loss of existing files.  Too bad Windows doesn't give the 30 day grace period any more.

Anyway, research turned up 2 practical responses to the monochrome desktop background on Ubuntu 22.04:

1)  Use Gnome terminal commands to reset the desktop background schema to the default.  Then set it to solid color. Then set it to the desired color.

2)  Generate solid color files, one Black, one White, one Blue...etc., and use the Settings function to load and select the desired background.

...A solid color desktop background just seems to be a little easier on the eyes....as long as it's not some super bright color.

...One thing to consider is that Ubuntu is a customized Debian package offered by Canonical.  It's kinda like the Apple or Windows of Linux.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I have an old laptop lying around with some version of Linux Mint. I used to periodically update it, but haven't in a year or two as I never found a use for it. It seems to run well on old hardware.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I go with Lin-ix like my username.  I built a Linux server once.  Now, I don't have a desktop or even wifi.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Any Linux devices at all?  I've heard of people running Linux on Raspberry Pi devices, but have no direct experience of my own.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Background: Last year my local library in conjunction with a non-profit org. 'alleviating the digital divide' in a big city on the east coast offered 'a free re-furbished laptop.' 

Applied and accepted, I got my first laptop - a MX Linux - Debian - refurb - Lenovo ThinkPad.

Having grew up with Windows - Linux is like a new foreign language (for an average user) You have to choose 'every little piece of software/ function' with little un-known companies and I still don't know what it does or how it would look like?  ๐Ÿค”

Where's Avast, Norton, McAfee, CCleaner and other familiar software?

Anyhow, this is my auxiliary device - installed with Bitwarden, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlockOrigin operating on Google Chrome browser; I added Adblock Plus and AdGuard Adblocker.

๐Ÿ˜Ž  ' lin-ix'  sounds good to me.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi OneDay,

My early computer experiences were with IBM Mainframes and MS Windows, the Linux desktop appearance was new to me as well.  There is alot of help at https://www.debian.org/ .  One thing I have learned is that regardless of OS computers are computers and they all boil down to machines that process binary code to do what we ask them to do. 

I have an old Laptop that I bought years ago.  It came with Windows 7.  When the automated message popped up telling me the device was eligible for a free Win 10 upgrade, I tried it.  The upgrade failed and disabled Win 7 Automatic Updates.  After trying repeatedly, and failing, to get a resolution from MS or The Manufacturer, I formatted the hard drive and installed Linux.  I still use that device as my 'Travel Computer'.  I use it to access The Internet and process Email.  I've used two different Office Suites, Open Office & Libre Office, That do everything MS Office does and even let me save things in MS Office formats.

Debian's web site does have a section to help you find and select software, https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages , like anything new it takes a little getting used to.

It also has a Security section, https://www.debian.org/security/ , that explains the general Linux approach to Security.  I have seen Packages that present themselves as 'AntiVirus for Linux', but have not been impressed enough to use them. From what I've learned it seems that the Linux security approach falls between the obviously delusional idea that Apple was unhackable and the MS Windows 'build a firewall and defend your borders' approach that is limited in its effectiveness.

Another option you might consider, if the laptop is yours to do with as you wish, is invest some attention, effort, and resources to getting familiar with Ubuntu.  It is a version of Linux that comes with certain software pre-installed and makes an effort to minimize the culture shock of switching from MS Windows to Linux: https://ubuntu.com/ .

Despite using a ".com" domain, it is still avilable at no cost.  They will even give you instructions for installing Ubuntu on a thumbdrive and running it without replacing your existing OS.

...Sorry, can't help you with the battery question, never really researched it.  Like I said the Travel Laptop I use originally came with Win 7 and it's still working.  I plug it in when I can...don't when I can't.

Thanks for the post...it brought up something new to learn about.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks for your response. 

Under 'official contract' with the non-profit 'in small print' - they own the Laptop till 2025 at which time they will eventually 'transfer' ownership to users.

For now it works - simply - and of course it uses less resources than Windows.

Personal Trivial Note: when I first got the Laptop and plugged in the charger, I saw the charger status bar - not rising as it should.

Pulled out the battery pack and saw 3 tabs/ connector pins were bent. I was able to straighten them out; without any 'unscrewing or opening any parts'

I guess the 'refurb outfit' was a little 'less precise and more geared for speed count/ get as many refurbed as possible.'

Again, thanks for your response. โ˜‘๏ธ

๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP