Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Holidays - Managing caregiving and grief/loss during the next few months

AARP Expert

The Holidays - Managing caregiving and grief/loss during the next few months

It's that time of year again... (check for some helpful resources that I've hyperlinked to from this post!)

For some family caregivers, the holidays can be a joyful time when spirits are lighter! It feels good to care for loved ones and enjoy time together, celebrating with family traditions and bringing love and light into their lives. 

We often visit older relatives during the holidays, using that time to check on how they are doing, and that can be good, but it can also be stressful. We sometimes struggle with what to look for and how to bring up difficult conversations when we see that loved ones need more support or perhaps need a big change in their living situation. Here are my tips for making those conversations easier: 5 Tips for Difficult Family Caregiving Conversations

For many who are in the throes of intensive caregiving, the holidays may bring added stress. We are so busy already, and there’s even more to do during the holidays. We want to make things wonderful for our loved ones - and ourselves - but we just can't do it all. Something’s gotta give! We just want to get through the holidays with some joy and avoid total exhaustion or total disappointment. Here are some tips for caregiving during the holidays: 10 Tips for Caregivers During the Holidays

And then there is the grief. Some of us have lost loved ones we've cared for, or we may be experiencing the ambiguous loss of grieving for someone who is still here, but is drastically changing due to their health conditions. Here are some tips for grieving though the holidays: 9 Tips for Dealing with Loss During the Holiday Season

I shared some caregiving holiday tips here in the forum a while back, so here they are again for you to find them easily. Some great comments and sharing from the Community! Here is the top 10 holiday caregiving tips countdown! 

#10 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Ask for and Accept Help

#9 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Connect with Other Caregivers

#8 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Keep Up with Self-Care

#7 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Mind Your Holiday Mindset

#6 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Anticipate Holiday Hot Buttons

#5 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Approach Gift-Giving More Efficiently

#4 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Adjust Holiday Meal Plans

#3 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Start NEW Traditions!

#2 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Simplify your Holiday Activities

#1 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Focus on What is Most Meaningful

Please share your concerns and tips over the next few months - we will get through this holiday season together! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving

Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

@agoyer Thank you for this wonderful information. 🙂

AARP Expert

@KellytheBelly It's my pleasure! I've lived through this (and am still doing so - my niece, mom, sister, and dad have all passed on now, 5 years since Daddy and he was the last one. My other two sisters and I struggle around the holidays still. We do our best and just enjoy being together and having low stress holidays with lots of decorations and movies!) 

Take care,

Amy 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP