How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Do You Know Any Good "LIFE HACKS" For Saving Money &/or Time???

Message 11 of 19 (479 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

I have to mention cleaning vinegar.  There are store brands available now in the cleaning section & the price has come down.  Good as a rinse in the dishwasher and instead of fabric softener in the washer.  And it cleans & deodorizes very well too!!

I keep a spray bottle on my kitchen counter, about 1/2 vinegar to 1/2 water with about a tsp of dishwashing liquid. Great to clean in the kitchen, or spills on the floor, even in the bathroom.

Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,586

Message 12 of 19 (478 Views)

@LaDolceVita  Thanks for this!  I use "steam in the bag" cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts all of the time since I only cook for myself.  I have heard of the cauliflower "rice" and have seen apparently "busy young mothers" types picking it up in the grocery store while I am perusing the freezer case aisles. I always  passed it up as being "too expensive."  

Experienced cooks tend to dismiss high-$$$ items because they know they can "do it themselves" and then they don't find the time necessary to do it, much like your schedule getting in the way of properly prepping & cooking vegetables!

However, I've seen recipes for it's use and didn't want to go to the trouble of "ricing" cooked cauliflower.  Saving time is also saving money...so you have "opened my eyes."  I can see that this will be a workable "hack" for me!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 19 (467 Views)

@Prosecco6247  Haha, I went to a different store yesterday & it was lesser price for these & I am embarrassed to say how many I bought!!  I have been warned to stay away from the sweet potato mix as it turned out gummy so I am passing that on.  Does not sound appealing anyway Woman Happy.

vita umbratilis

Message 14 of 19 (462 Views)

@LaDolceVita & @MaVolta  I noticed you both posted on the use of vinegar for cleaning.  I am into "natural cleaning solutions" as well.  I don't have any small children around but I do have two small dogs (who now have cardiac issues) so I don't like the idea of having strong or possibly toxic chemicals around.

I subscribe to a blog called "Clean Mama."  Today's topic was "DIY Laundry Stain Bar."  She used simple Castile soap for her laundry stain treatments.  My "hack" is a bar of yellow Dial Soap.  I have been using this for years on many stubborn stains.  It's one I sent my boys to college with because I knew it would be something they'd always have around, it wasn't too expensive and they were more likely to "follow through" when doing their laundry.  (The girls were already motivated to take care of their wardrobes...lol!)

The method is simple.  Take a bar of yellow Dial Soap, wet the end of it and rub it on the stain.  Re-wet the soap as necessary. (an alternative is to wet the stain with cool or room temperature water and proceed using the dry bar.)  That's it!  Now launder as usual!  It takes a number of difficult stains out...coffee with milk or cream out of a white blouse or shirt (milk is a protein stain & difficult if set-in), grass, dirt stains.  I've used it on everything.  It's best to treat the stains as soon as you can, but you can pre-treat them and launder in a day or two.  I've included the link for Clean Mama's method below.

<https://www.cleanmama.net/2017/04/diy-laundry-stain-bar.html>

Another stain removal "hack" I use is hydrogen peroxide on blood stains.  Just pour it on the stain, allow it to work, repeating application if necessary, then launder as usual.  No stain!

Message 15 of 19 (458 Views)

Oh I read this on Pinterest & tried it.  Half dishwashing detergent & half vinegar mixture will clean shower & tub with no scrubbing.  Worked very well. 

I usually check Pinterest for cleaning tips as well as old fashioned remedies for small problems.   The only bad thing about Pinterest imo is that it can make time stand still & before you know it its many hours later & you have accomplished nothing!  This happens to me whenever I check travel info on it.  Some of the pictures are just wow!

vita umbratilis

Message 16 of 19 (450 Views)

@LaDolceVita  I am such a Pinterest freak!  I know what you mean about time standing still!  It's almost as if I am in a great museum and there's so much to see and I want to see everything!  Who knew the concept would be so popular?  I certainly didn't expect it to be when I first heard about it!  

Whenever I'm stressed about something, I can go on Pinterest and forget about everything else...my  mind and body are so relaxed...I am totally engaged in what's there before my eyes!

It's like "virtual Valium"...lol!  Woman Wink

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 19 (448 Views)

@Prosecco6247 & @LaDolceVita - 

Ditto on Pinterest!! I can spend an hour or more without even thinking about it, but have found a number of helpful hints, and some interesting information.

Message 18 of 19 (422 Views)

@MaVolta@Prosecco6247  When I first visited Pinterest I just shrugged and thought this is not for me.  Several years later I began going there when I needed an answer to a health problems or something problematic in the household.  I think its the pictures that suck you in!!

vita umbratilis
Highlighted

Message 19 of 19 (192 Views)

Johnny Appleseed might approve of this hack...

http://www.creeklinehouse.com/2015/04/the-trick-to-keeping-your-potatoes-from-sprouting.html

I had never heard of this trick before!  Who knew?

I wonder how to keep onions from sprouting as well?  I keep them in a cool, dry, dark place with plenty of air circulation...and still, they sometimes sprout or develop softness & discoloration in one or two of the outer layers.  I find this especially with Vidalias.  I like to use them a lot when they're in season, but this tendency makes me only buy a few at a time.  Does anyone have an answer for this?