Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Comsumer Cellular

Upgraded my Mom's phone with Consumer Cellular to a smart phone on February 19, 2024. Phone received on February 26, 2024. Number ported out from previous carrier on March 4, 2024. 

Throughout the month of March, phone sometimes worked, sometimes did not. When I finally realized it was the phone and not Mom's not understanding how to use it, I called Consumer's customer service on April 1, 2024 and spent an hour troubleshooting. Phone worked for a couple of hours before giving out. Called again on April 4, 2024 and found out that the phone was pre-owned which was never previously disclosed. Requested a replacement and was told that time had lapsed but they would get back to me within 24 hours with a resolution.  Never got back to me.  I am now stuck with a useless phone and out $89.00.

I have canceled my service. This company targets senior citizens through their relationship with AARP and provides inferior service and employs predatory practices.

You should know how your partners are treating your customers.

Contributor

I thought it was just my flip phone that was the problem, as I too have had any number of issues with the phone I was sent (the IRIS flip) to the point where it froze constantly, leaving me without a way to communicate when I was away from home. I got a second IRIS thinking it was just a lemon, but the second one was just as bad. I am now waiting for a Nokia refurbished from CC, which I hope will be better. Oh, and 2 days ago, the cell service completely stopped for almost 3 hours, leaving me again without any way to stay in touch when I was away from home. I will say their customer service people are lovely since I have to call them ALL THE TIME.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@MargaretR349674   We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with Consumer Cellular. We would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=13214496654 to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. Thank you!  Jodee R. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Maybe I am wrong but I thought that when you buy a phone plan from a secondary provider (one that buys their coverage from another network - maybe more than one depending on the area) that you are always exposed to service reduction when the cell network owner gets overloaded and they are giving their customers priority (again this is also stepped based on the plan one has with the cell network owner).

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@JimK94 I'm so sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team for further assistance.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP