Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Laid off and panicking

I was let go from my job unexpectedly yesterday. I don't know what to do now. I'm terrified. I'm 64 years old, and I don't think I'll ever find another job that will pay enough for me to afford rent. I was supposed to move into a 55+ apartment community next week, but that's now off. Low on savings right now because I had to pay for my mother's funeral last year and have been helping pay for my younger sister's nursing home stay.

But the worst thing ... and this will sound pathetic ... is that if I can't get things squared away in a month, I'll lose my cat. I adopted him right after I moved into my current apartment. He was older -- 6 years at the time -- and I thought us seniors could tackle old age together. He's a sweetie, and the thought of losing him is killing me.

Anybody else been through this and can offer advice or support? I've been laid off before, but not in my 50s or 60s.

Super Contributor

no advice kn1820 only some places for you to seek assistance & for you to breathe big deep breaths,

unemployment office
low income housing energy assistance (LIHEAP)
food stamps
benefits.gov
usa.gov
ssa.gov if you are disabled or widow
va.gov if you are a veteran
findhelp.org
catholic charities
salvation army
unitedfamilynetwork.com
assistanceleague.org
united way

Bless you

Stay Healthy!!!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP