Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Suspended Benefits in Mexico

I am a US citizen who lives on a fixed income in Jalisco,Mexico. I receive SSDI

and live from month to month. Every year there is a form 7162 that needs to be

filled and returned to social security, in my case since I live in Mexico we send

the forms to the FBU federal benefits unit.

These offices only communicate through email. On February 2nd, I received an email that my benefits were suspended. Along with the email was the Form 7162, that the FBU offices should

have sent me weeks ago. Instead they waited until I was suspended and then sent

me the forms. I returned the form yesterday to the local US consulate office.

This form does have to be filled out every year, but the time of the year differs

each year, so knowing exactly when its due is something that the office wanted me to guess.

Instead they haven't emailed me anything since November of 2023

until they tell me my benefits are suspended. Now because of their error, I face

a financial emergency. There are no outreach programs in Mexico for people who

don't get their pension, they just have to deal with it.

I have filed an appeal with the SSA which they tell me will take weeks, I

contacted the FBU through email yesterday and today with no response. With my rent now 5 days late, I could possibly be homeless on Monday the 12 February because of a questionnaire form. How can Social security and the FBU be so irresponsible? What else should I do?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Consulates are there to help people with problems while in the country. Ask if they can help. Sometimes they can give a loan which you'd repay when you get your benefits.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP